1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Availablity of Reloading Supplies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Went to local outdoor stoor for reloading supplies. Almost NO stock, and limits on everything. Primers limited to 1K. I normally buy 15K for the season. Is it like this everywhere??? I understand there has been a big rush to buy handgun/rifle ammo. But trap loads???? Really???? Limited components are gonna kill the trap season for alot of folks!!!!!

2. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've got an order in with my club and we are supposed to receive it this week. I'll be able to tell you more then....

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

That's mostly the story in the east/northeast. Big suppliers like Shyda's in Lebanon, PA were limiting customers to 1 brick of primers and a single #8 jug of powder, although there was no mention of limits when it came to shot. It's my feeling they are simply keeping the hoarders at bay, thus insuring at least enough to supply everyone in the short run, until things cool down a little. The stores like wallyworld seem to have short supplies of ammo, but again, it may be because of the compulsion to hoard. We visited the store in Cambridge, MD and they had lead shot, but steel was in short supply, just the opposite of shotshells here, near Gettysburg, where we don't shoot (at) many ducks.

best....mike

4. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

I just got this from a friend so I'll pass it along. Can't vouch for accuracy but all the reloading info is what I have heard from other sources recently.

Status Update by Valley Guns II

We traveled to Texas for Industry meetings concerning shortages, here's what we were told.

S&W: Running at full capacity making 300+ guns/day, unable to produce any more-mainly M&P pistols.

Ruger: Plans to increase production from 75% to 100% in next 90 days.

Remington & Armalite: Maxed out.

DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.

Colt: Production runs increasing weekly...bottlenecked by bolt carriers.

LWRC: Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.

Springfield: Only company who can meet demand but running 30-45 days behind.

Ammo: Every caliber is now allocated.

We are looking at a nationwide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible with 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly.

Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians 3rd in line.

Magpul is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of Magpul anytime soon.

RELOADERS!!! ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI, and Federal primers are going to ammo first.

There are no extra's for reloading puposes...it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up.

5. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I usually buy from Sportsman Den or Fin,Fur......both about an hour drive one way. I sure cant afford 15 round trips for supplies. Both Gamaliel, and Grafs are OOS. I also buy from vendors at Cardinal Center, but I assume components will be in short supply. Trapshooting seems to have been struggling for the past several years....This sure isnt going to help anything.

6. Lewes

Lewes Member

Purchased last 1000 box of primers local store ( delaware) had available. Said they are having trouble getting supplies. Powder was also in short supply. Shot not a problem . Irv

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Most powder has a rifle or pistol application, so that's where the biggest issue will be. I've pretty much thrown in the towel as far as competitive shotgun shooting goes for this year.

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

talked to a supply dealer in michigan. rifle and pistol primes --none around. shotgun primers short supply. probably mostly going to new ammo. powder short supply. shells going up in price.

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Not to pile on but lead prices are $1.1124 per pound according to KitcoMetals.com as of Tuesday, 2-05-13. That will certainly drive up the price of lead products; i.e., shot. BT100dc

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I was surprised at the availability of primers (WW, Fed 209, Pallets full) and loading components after hearing of shortages. Even not long ago the same store was saying buy now. That was months ago. Just bought 5000 WW 209's for $144.95. That was cheaper then the last time I bought them at $160.

11. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Stl Flyn: Where are you located??

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

SE Wisconsin area.

13. single stack

single stack Member

A week ago I got a sleeve of W209s, 8lb. W296, wads, shot and two flats of WWHS410.

No problems getting shotshell components yet in SC Texas.

Pistol and rifle ammo and components are a different story. Unless you are unaffected by price.

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Orangeburg, SC Wally World had almost bare ammunition shelves yesterday. Only a couple of packs of 30-06, and a couple boxes of Duck shotgun shells. I asked the man at the counter when they would expect a new batch of ammo. He told me that they get truck loads of products every day, but they are still waiting on shells and have no idea when to expect them.

Dave in SC

15. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Called the local supplier to check on Estates and Rio's. No Estates available and they were waiting on a Rio order.

FRedmon

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

skeet_man;

A club just contacted Beikirch's and were told they could fill there reloading order.

Don't know if they are keeping some supplies back for long term customers or not, but you may want to give them a try.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I guess the Red Green statement "we're all in this together" does not apply."</i></blockquote>Sure it does...it just doesn't say that we're all in it EQUALLY. We're like a bowl of stew...some are on the top...most are buried underneath!

Keller

18. oletymer

oletymer Member

Order you supplies several months before an election. This happens almost every time a liberal wins.

19. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

"Order you supplies several months before an election. This happens almost every time a liberal wins."

Boy is this good advice!
    I stocked up, but good luck finding a decent supply of primers and powder right now. Hopefully demand (hoarding) will slow so regular users (most of us) can get the steady supply needed by late springtime.

20. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

How are retailers who specialize in reloading components going to stay in business through this year if there are no components to sell ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.