1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Automotive Finish for stock finish ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by robm11, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robm11

robm11 TS Member

I need help with deciding on a stock finish. I have heard that auto finish is best, any help would be appreciated. Respectfully, Rob Mize

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

Clear Laquer. This stock was gunned by MAACO. Has held up well for 12 years so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. turmite

turmite Member

atashooter, are you sure that is lacquer? Most automotive lacquers were phased out longer than 12 years ago. I have been using urethane clearcoat longer than that. I am not saying it isn't lacquer, but just curious.

Mike

4. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

dupont makes a spray bomb urethane clear that works pretty well as long as you are patient and dont build up too fast,mark

5. atashooter

atashooter Member

HMMM, now you got me thinking... I could have swore he said Laquer, Maybe it is a clear enamel.... Either way, it is the clear that MAACO shoots on cars.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

all body shops shoot clear eurethane. laquer was discontinued years ago. Be sure to wear a mask as it has things in it that will damage your health. It works great and can be sanded and buffed to perfection

7. VNVET

VNVET Member

Nitrocellulose (spelling) lacquer is still used for guitar finishes and available from many sites on the web who sell instrument refinish supplies. Acrylic lacquer is also still available from several automotive refinish manufactures. In my opinion, modern automotive clearcoats, urethane and polyurethane, that use an activator, are not well suited for wood finishes, especially gun stocks because of the high film build (high solids). The stock looks plastic coated and it's very difficult to get the wood sealed perfectly without pin holes. Automotive clearcoats work well on fiberglass stocks.

Jim

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Contact a friend of mine that owns a body shop that has been painting stocks for years and custom designs applications to the shooters wants and desires.

he will tell you what he uses to coat and to paint stocks, and he may do it for you. He repaired my Seitz Stock and you could not tell it was repaired.

614-877-3721 tell him that Gary Bryant referred you to him.

Gary Bryant

9. parrot man

parrot man TS Member

Robm11,

I've also know some people use auto paint from companies like PPG.
    The stuff works great. I've seen some demonstrations on how tough it is.

I wish i had my BT99+ shot with it when I had it redone. As far as the other person responded about it not really soaking into the wood is something you will have to check out.

Eric

10. VNVET

VNVET Member

In my experience with wood finishes and before applying any topcoat, the wood must be sealed first otherwise the topcoat will suck down into the pores of the wood making pinholes in the topcoat. There are many websites that discuss finishing guitars and the products to be used and there are several forums also dealing with this subject. I would think the issues of finishing a guitar would not be much different than a gunstock, especially the solid body guitars such as Fender where there is end grain wood to seal. Fender and most of the major guitar manufactures use nitrocelluose lacquer as a topcoat and the sealer must be compatable with the topcoat. Using a lacquer sealer may not be compatable with automotive clear coats because the solvents in the clear may cause an adverse reaction such as wrinkling and poor adhesion. I would think that an automotive sealer would not have these issues but it may do a poor job of sealing wood. I do have some experience with automotive finishes when used for their intended application but have no experience with those products used on wood. I have, however seen a few stocks finished with automotive clears and they all had issues with pinholes, especially on the end grain.

I have considered refinishing one of my gunstocks using lacquer and the best source of information I could find on the web which gave me the most information about the process and products to use have been the guitar refinshing websites. Most gunstock finishes recommended by the pro's for use by amatuers is Tru-Oil because it's easy to use. I have used Tru-oil on one occasion and would not use it again.

11. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I lightly sanded stock and forearm with 220 grit sandpaper then applied 4 light coats of win-wax high gloss clear poly varnish in spray can on my 30 year old Wingmaster 870 stock and forearm looks like the day it was new.

12. 1oz

1oz Member

Alot of people are useing the Sherwin Williams catalzed product . Very hard finish

13. Customstox

Customstox Member

Al and Roger Biesen used Dupont Imron clear coat for years. I have heard that they have gone to a different finish and I do not know the reasons. It is a 2 part polyurethane and it is expensive.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I've also heard of people using and liking Fullerplast. Anybody else know more about that product?

15. turmite

turmite Member

"In my experience with wood finishes and before applying any topcoat, the wood must be sealed first otherwise the topcoat will suck down into the pores of the wood making pinholes in the topcoat. There are many websites that discuss finishing guitars and the products to be used and there are several forums also dealing with this subject. I would think the issues of finishing a guitar would not be much different than a gunstock"

I have finished lots of high polish gunstocks, and my finish of choice is automotive urethane. Yes, unfilled grain will draw the finish down into the grain, but that is one of the reasons I like the finish. You spray several coats and let the grain absorb all it can, then cut the finish back level and you have nothing between the wood and the clear coat to muddy the beauty. I have tried many different types of grain fillers and all of them change the look of the wood.

The actual finishing of a guitar is a lot different than a gunstock. They are completely different. On a guitar you want a very thin finish so as not to alter the sound of the guitar, but enought to protect it. Those that build custom guitars are a diverse on their finishes as those that make and or finish gunstocks, but all agree the finish must be thin. On the other hand, a gunstock needs a good film covering the wood to keep moisture from absorbing into the grain and swelling. Remember most guitars are not played out in the rain! :)

If this works, here is a sample of one of my stocks with an automotive urethane that has be applied like I described. They are all wet sanded by hand, and hand buffed, and look more like water than plastic.

Mike
    [​IMG]

16. robm11

robm11 TS Member

Thanks for all the info, (what to do now) Hi, Steve do you know what time they start. Respectfully, Rob Mize

17. VNVET

VNVET Member

turmite,
    That looks like a benchrest sporter class stock. Would you be the Mike T. that has built many BR stocks for the benchrest game?

Jim

18. turmite

turmite Member

That all depends on if the person looking for me is friendly or not!

Yep that would be me. Looks like there are several benchresters on here. What state do you hail from?

Mike

19. VNVET

VNVET Member

Mike, I sent you a PM.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

siver seitz gunstock laquer or urethane