1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Automating Your Reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by N2deep, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N2deep

N2deep Member

I would like to automate my reloader and would like your opinion/recommendation on systems.. I use a grabber and can get a MEC automate system to fit it.. Would I be better off buying a new a 9000 and a hydraulic system?

Comments/recommendations appreciated Art

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I use an Automate with an 8567 grabber. I load a number of different loads and I like to see the finished product before it goes into a container. Turning the turret by hand gives me a greater degree of control over each step than I would have using a 9000 and for my purposes it works well. I love my Automate.

3. willing

willing Member

The Automate is slower than the hydro, BUT it is very consistent, the up and down is always the same. Therefore the drop is the same.

Bill

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Go with the AutoMate.

I load around 10,000 rounds a year and just love it.

Been using one now for at least 6 years and it still runs just fine.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Quiet, and you don't ever have to worry about any oil leaks.

Hauxfan!

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My nephew had a MEC with a hydraulic operating system perhaps 20 years ago. It was noisy, occupied a lot of space with its pump, lines, pedal and related hardware and as Hauxfan mentioned, there always exists the potential for leaks whenever you have a fluid under pressure. Said nephew will never be arrested for having an excessive amount of original thoughts and almost lost the tip of a finger trying to align a wad properly in the guide after he depressed the pedal. After watching (and listening to) his loader in operation, I made a mental note that I did not need a hyraulic system.

When my arthritis worsened, I was using an RCBS Grand. It was butterty-smooth to operate but the rotational movement in my shoulder was quite painful. About that time, Jim Benn released the AutoMate system for MEC loaders and I contacted him. He sent me a new 9000G and a new AutoMate II; I set them up (which isn't challenging) and am loading shotshells with them to this day. It is quiet, has a relatively small footprint and is portable, so if you cannot dedicate a place in your apartment, for example, to reloading, the AutoMate can be placed on your kitchen table, coffee table or kitchen counter and then put away somewhere when you are finished loading. It has enough weight to stabalize it (mine is not attached to my bench) and adjustable rubber "feet" so it can be leveled and won't mar the surface it is on. If you would want to store the two components separately, the loader attaches to it with four thumbscrews at the loader's base, two bolts at the tops of the support brackets and the connecting rod that the AutoMate unit uses to operate it.

averaged_2008_0303413.jpg

As you can see, spent primers drop into a container under the loader. Like Wireguy, I like to inspect each finished shell so I catch problems right away instead of hundreds of shells later, so I have removed the finished shell ejection tab from the loader and place them in a MEC E-Z Pak for boxing.

Some posters will tell you that the hydraulic system is faster and I agree that it probably is. Some will tell you that they prefer a foot pedal instead of the AutoMate's buttons. Personally, I don't care about speed when I load and find the AutoMate is plenty fast enough for me - the published cycle time for mine is 3.8 seconds. And if you ever have an "Oh $hit moment" and want to stop the loader mid-cycle to realign a wad or whatever, releasing the buttons on the new ones does that for you safely (I have to dperess my buttons simultaneously to start it and touch one to stop it mid-cycle; the newer units' buttons have to be held down while it cycles and releasing them stops it). And if anything would be in the wrong place at the wrong time, the unit's fuse will open as soon as the operating resistance exceeds normal.

Both systems have their fans so choose the one that trips your trigger.

Ed

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Suggest that you not try to convert your existing reloaded. Tried that and it was hell. Had to send it back to the factory twice. Buy all new. You will be happier.

Tom

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Tom, I've seen others post that same thing but I had no trouble converting a new 9000G for use with the AutoMate II. I took my time, read the instructions carefully and had it running in just under an hour. But others haven't been as fortunate.

Ed

8. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

I have a automate on a old mec 9000.It is added extra..Just follow the instructions and you will be fine..If you have any trouble just call mec they will walk you through the process.. you have to change a few brackets ..It is a easy job..Maybe takes about about a half hour..I had both systems and the automate is the best..If you call Mec..ask for gordie.. he is very knowlegable and will do his best to help you..

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Went through about a dozen blow fuses and crushed hulls due to cocked wads. MEC modified the wad guide and rebuilt the reloader twice. Took about 2 months to get it running. It's a good system if you buy it all purr together correctly the first time.

Tom

10. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I use a grabber with a mec hydraulic unit. At one time MEC made adapter hardware for the grabber. I don't think there are many around but mine works great and like wireguy said I also like to manually rotate the shell holder. There are times when I don't get a primer drop or I want to check power weight and like to stop and verify things. Joe

11. Nutso

Nutso Member

I retrofitted my 9000's all four gauges, to the automate, works like a charm.

Tim

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Nutso. This is a trap shooting site. Go away with yor bad self adn those tiny bullets

13. Nutso

Nutso Member

Ha ha buddy, hey, I'm thinking about having a set of barrels fitted to my MX-3 trap combo, and then tubed, one gun do it all. I may be looking for a selectable trigger, send me a PM if you have/get one. Who should I have do the fitting?

My best year shooting was when I shot both games. So that's the plan for 2013.

One dude one gun, all the games,,,watch out

My son lives in Randolph Mn, we'll be there for while in July, you up for a little practice shooting.

Tim

PS the auto casei bought from works perfectly for my devault/391.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Tim. Actually a wise move. Th MX3 bbls witout the side ribs adn low weight would make for a very nice skeet (ahem) platform... Even the 31.5 are unusually low weight. I have a set of those non ported just for you.

And when yu get to the infamous WI state shoot, just swing over to the Minneapolis GC for some trap an skeet and 5 stand. Be my guest.

J

And I do have a couple of as new internal select P4 triggers. I even have avery nice MX3 special receiver. But no bbls for that other than my personal set.

15. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I'm glad to read that MEC has made some changes regarding cycle stop in the automate! For me I am very happy having sold my 9000G and purchased a 9000H. I have NEVER had a hydraulic leak in many, many years. Having both hands free to load hulls and wads works for me!

I do not think you can go wrong with any MEC product!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.