1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Automatics on the doubles line

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by m fowler13, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

Would shooting an auto on the doubles line cause any agravation for the other members of the squaud. I might shoot an auto this weekend at a shoot but hate the shell slinging they do. I don't think I have seen any one do this as my son and I are new to the doubles programs. If any of you wisemen could give me some advice before I try this I will gladly listen. I just purchased an xt for my son so we could squad diffrently to avoid a scene. m fowler

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Put on your helmet & flak jacket...flame retardent underwear too. Posters on this site are not very supportive of autos in doubles. I gave up shooting doubles since my 1100 and I aren't welcome. Buy another O/U and keep the auto for sporting or some other game. Regards, Ed

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

My $.02,

Learn to live the sport! Take it as it comes, not how you would like it to be.

Example: football. Covered stadiums have taken away the "mud bowls" game's, "Freeze yer buns Bowls". They were "good" games to watch.

Put the players back in leather helmets and see what kind of game we see.

Shotgun sports are shooting sports, some like break action, some like pumps and others like semi-auto's. If your going to shoot doubles, expect someone to be shooting a semi auto and adjust for it.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot management should provide shooting booths for doubles. This would protect competitors from flying hulls. HMB

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1100's with knock down pins do not throw shells. Other guns should be able to be fixed also. A small Nylock set screw in the right place would work.

I never heard any flack shooting an 1100, the few times I did and I saw a few others without problems.

HM

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When your shooting singles and HC you have to have a shell catcher. When shooting Doubles you don't. Go for it. ATA rules.

7. oz

oz Active Member

whiners!!!!!!!!! I used to shoot at a club where skeet was being shot in the next field. targets came into trapshooters field of view AND sometimes trapshooters got hit with broken targets. Sometimes in the face. We bitched about it but nothing was ever done. When a trapshooter looses an eye or two OR WORSE maybe something will be done about it. oz

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

loses an eye from hulls, how tall is that guy next to ya??

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Even with my 1100 knock-down pin, other purists complain that my hulls "distracted" them. Not worth the grumbling and dirty looks; let others "enjoy" doubles. Best Regards, Ed

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Trade the 1100 off on an O/U and don't look back. There's already enough reasons to quit this sport.

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Yes, shells can and will hit someone else on the line over and over, and also hit their $3000 plus shotgun. This will piss some guys off in a major way. This is going to have an affect on your game, and also the shooter next to you and their game. Just another distraction like the person next in line closing their gun while you call for a bird.
    The one issue a new semi-auto doubles shooter will have that will be a real issue is when there is a failure to fire, and there is a round in the chamber that has to be cleared. As a new shooter, safety is a priority. Many times a new shooter will be closely watched by other trapshooters. Welcome that assistance. Discuss your concern with shoot management. Maybe get on a short squad to start with if your shells are slinging.

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

If it bothers the the other guys on the squad you at least know you'll beat 4 others that day ;op bottom line if flying hulls bother them if there are no flying hulls something else will bother them you paid for your targets and there are no rules against it shoot it. Jerry

13. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

jdsfarms--I like the way you think!! I shoot an O/U and don't mind an auto around me. That being said, my gun didn't cost $3000 plus but I am just as proud of it. I have carries a AA-27-A before so I am not a new shooter by any means. And there is one point left that has not been stated. I work with new and young shooter. We need all the shooters we can get! I WILL NOT TELL THEM to lay off shooting until they get a O/U if all they have is an Auto! We do enough allready to run off shooters. Come shoot with me anytine, I will gladly dodge hulls.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The crybabies will ALWAYS find something to whine about whether you shoot an Auto, a Break Action, or don't show up at all. So just shoot whatever you want, per the club rules, and tell anybody who complains about it to go take a flying leap.

As I've posted many times, 90% of the time the crybabies are Club Geezers pissed at the world because their shooting skills are diminishing and their weiners don't work. The sooner we drive these types out of trap, the sooner we can welcome back the young shooters they've been chasing off and start rebuilding our sport.

-Gary

15. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

m fowler,

If your son squads to your right, there is no problem with the other shooters. He's the one dodging the hulls, if any. Case closed.

Call Tron, he can weld the bead inside the barrel, so any hulls that make it to the next station are only rolling.

Danny

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Some young punk's rolling hull once fractured my metatarsel.

-Gary

17. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I squadded with Daro Handy at a Phoenix Spring Grand many 'moons' ago, I'm just sure he was using an auto-loader! I didn't know Mr. Handy, had never heard of him. All I knew was he was a hell of a good doubles shooter. After the shoot a friend of mine asked 'why was I shooting with a "bird" picker', seems Mr. Handy had had an altercation at Tuscon about turning down targets!(not sure about this)I heard many, many comments about Mr. Handy after that day, NONE involved his shooting an auto-loader! LOL

18. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have no problem with anyone shooting a doubles auto on the line with me and most doubles shooters dont mind...especially if you just ask first. There are others that will complain and its up to you how you handle these folks and if its worth the trouble.

IMO..many of the ones that complain say it breaks their concentration. Good grief....find me a tiny violin. They cant concentrate in the first place and are just looking for any excuse for why they shoot poorly.

19. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Pat, look under Safety, page 18. It calls out no specific event it just says: 15. All guns used by contestants must be equipped, fitted and utilized so as not to eject empty shells in a manner that substantially disturbs or interferes with other contestants. I believe this is the rule he was referring to.

One of the best doubles shooters in NC shoots an 1100, I personally don't know of anyone ever gripping about it.

20. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The same guys that complain about autos will find something else that distracts them if no auto is on the squad. It is nothing more than a built in excuse. A deflector pin is very easy and in-expensive to have installed. Beating the grouchy guy with a 10 thousand dollar gun, with a thousand dollar gun is really the beef. Shooters of all clay tagets better do everything that is within their power to allow new shooters and all gun types on their squad. Clay target sports are not exactly thriving and over run with shooters these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.