1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Automatics for doubles, look out for empties

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dennisw, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have no problem shooting with a FULL squad of automatics.... at least they wont be Whining about flying hulls. Why do you have to spend so much on your gun that you have to worry about it??? Kinda like getting a door ding on your car in the parking lot.....

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Many smiths can tame the velocity and distance your hulls are thrown by welding a tag or post on the barrel extension near the center of the ejection port in the receiver. The 1100s of yesteryear had barrels that were equipped with such a deflector and Winchester included an attachable, sheet metal deflector for the SuperX1 traps in their factory box. Today, finding a smith who will take the time to make a deflector for your gun is about the best fix for the autos and doubles.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ports for doubles, look out for debris.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have learned a solution to this problem. I just do not let it become a problem. I am not bothered by hulls bouncing off my foot. They do not hurt. Only once did a hull land between my glasses and forehead. Everyone though that was funny. It did not cost me a bird.

Pat Ireland

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A good rubberband will deflect the hull and not hamper/hinder the reloading...

Curt - Delaware

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Tron will modify the barrel reasonably and well.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I do quite a bit of them on both Remington and Beretta auto's. It's a good permanent solution.

Tron.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Carey deflector doesn't work - save your money. Tron, does your system knock down the empties without kicking some back into the chamber - the problem I had with the Carey.

9. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

Listen to Pat Ireland. Forget it.

10. Tron

OK, here is another picture, when installed on the receiver. This is a picture of the raw weld, before fileing:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I use a Lincoln mig welder, with a junk barrel for testing. Temperture and humidity seem to effect how well the weld bites, so that's why I always test first, then do the actual job. It is somewhat tricky and my butt hole does pucker up every time I do this (kind of like cutting combs...but, if it didn't, I guess I wouldn't be alive). Too much voltage, you burn through the barrel, too fast of a wire feed, you splatter (etc, etc...you just have to play with it).

Actually, I don't make any money doing these...I consider it a service. I make a few bucks off of combs, recoil devices, and butt plates....but not deflectors. But, they are very effective.

Tron.

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Hey Tron, have you ever tried doing it to a super x barrel? I have one of those clip on deflectors that they came with originally but it does wear the bluing off the receiver some. John

12. Tron

Nope, never did a SuperX. I can't imagine it would be that much different....but it is a case where I would need the whole gun for test purposes.

Tron.

13. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

Tron,
    Could you e-mail me @ tmdukes@msn.com. I have 2 Remington barrels that I would like to have done.
    Marion D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.