1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Automatic Weapons

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Chris Dunlap, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Dunlap

Chris Dunlap TS Member

Reading through the posts that have popped up In the wake of the recent school shootings I noticed many, many people on here state that fully automatic or even burst fire weapons are illegal to own by civilians.

Where do all of you get your information on automatic weapons? It is LEGAL in most states to purchase a FULLY AUTOMATIC weapon. There is a $200 Federal Tax Stamp to buy, several forms to complete and a background check that can take up to 60 days, but it is LEGAL.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Bump-fire arms are legal as long as mechanism is NOT spring assisted.

The Slide Fire system is, for the time being, legal.

The cut off date for full auto production that can be transferred to civilians is April 19, 1986. Dumbest law ever. The ONLY documented crime ever committed with a full auto was by a COP.

The only documented murder of a LEO by a criminal using a machine gun (illegal) was in Puerto Rico.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Uh, background checks are NOT taking "up to 60 days".

The two BATF tax stamps I had come back recently took NINE MONTHS for approval, and the wait is getting worse.

4. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Here in Minnesota you can only own C&R rated full autos. First you find the gun and make the deal. Then you fill out a ATF form four along with two sets of finger print cards,two mug shots have the chief of police sign the ATF form four and send a check for 200.00 dollars to the ATF. Then wait. In 2005 it took about 30 days for a transfer for a 1928 Thompson sub machine gun and three weeks for a AR18 selective fire assault weapon. I feel very fortunate to own these two guns.

5. oz

oz Active Member

I guess they didn't document crimes using full auto guns in the 1920's? Bonnie and clyde ring a bell? machine gun kelly? dillinger? capone? I guess hey didn't enter it into the computer then.

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Cutting off production of full auto guns is a perfect example of liberal twerp's "reasonable gun restrictions". Did a lot of good didn't it?

7. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Alot of people, who don't know much about guns anyway, think that AR's are full auto. Some of the BS that I have read in the paper tells me that these people are pretty ignorant. I guess they think the word 'semi' is an 18 wheeler.

8. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Good thing the Anti's have never heard of these shoots.

http://www.knobcreekshoot.com/

www.boomershoot.com

9. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

How about the bank robbers in CA several years back that had all the cops pinned down. The bank robbers that wore body armor. Were they not using full autos? I remember the live photos of them shooting up everything, looked like full auto to me. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong. F/S

10. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Chris D:
    You will find that these guys are pretty well informed on gun laws. However full auto laws vary wildly from state to state and do change from time to time. But thanks for being astute and not falling into the semi vs. full auto confusion.
    dju

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

F/S,

Yes, those guns were full auto, but they had been converted from semi auto to full auto (an illegal process).

I believe the two perpetrators were both banned from owning any firearms at all owing to previous criminal records (I might be wrong on this part).

The 'anti's' logic is that semi autos should be banned in that they can easily be converted to full auto... see above link.

12. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

The facts are, No crime has been reported of being committed by a registered machine gun in the United States. The key word is “registered” You guys get the facts straight or you are just as guilty as the media in knowing anything about what the hell you are talking about.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The word "semiautomatic" is not understood by the unwashed masses.

They need to know that a double action revolver will fire every time you pull the trigger, just as a semi will.

We the people have allowed unresponsible sensation seeking journalists to pollute the general public's mind with fairy tales about firearms. I do not get around non gun people very much but if the opportunity arises I do take the time to educate if possible.

HM

14. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Stop, Wait, Cool you Jets, if your talking to me. I am in now way suggesting the semi-auto AR type weapons should ever be illegal to own, not me, no sir, no way. And yes, the key words are "registered" or "legally owned full autos" used in a crime. I just happened to remember the CA bamk robbery case that's all. I don't think ATF ever did figure out who did the work to change their AK's into full auto. Merry Christmas to all, F/S.

15. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Oh My! If they ban these assault weapons how are our "outspoken know it all liberal celebrities"
    Gonna make a living with their shoot 'em up endless magizines

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If I owned a machine shop, I could convert ANY self loader to a machine gun.

I would also be making license plates in a Federal Lock Up if I got caught.

If a person is willing to do murder and robbery, no gun law will keep him from doing this. The libs just don't use their brains in a logical manner.

You cannot make a pet out of a pit viper. They will BITE you, that is their nature, no matter how well you treat them.

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Years ago I owned a M-1 carbine which was semi automatic. I bought a selector to switch it from semi to full automatic out of a mail order catalog for 10 or 12 dollars, took about a half hour to install. Tried it once and left it on semi after emptying a 15 round clip in a blink of the eye, to expensive.

Wasn't worried about my government then.......

Surfer

18. schwabby

schwabby Member

You don't necessarily need a machine shop to convert a semi auto to run full auto, a needle file will do the job at least with some guns. Don't ask how I know.

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

How do you know swabbie? Are you confessing to a felony or are you just blubbering like libtards always do?

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Apparently swabbie was blubbering- no surprise there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.