1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Automate Users

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by j2jake, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

For those of you that have the "pre" Mec Automate, let me recommend you purchase the "left side support bracket" from Mec and install on your loader. I added this bracket and you will not believe what a positive difference it made. All I can say is WOW! Just thought I would pass along some good info. Jake

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The bracket works great, doesn't it Jake? Really makes a man out of it. Really stiffens up the column.

After I ordered and received my first Auto-Mate II from Jim, I soon fabricated my own left side support bracket, because the early II's didn't have one. That following July at the Iowa State Shoot, I described to Jim the bracket I had installed on his invention. He was all ears.

Shortly after that, a left side support bracket became either standard or available.

At the next Iowa State Shoot, I described to Jim a right side support bracket running from the black 'Side Plate' to the Auto-Mate frame that I installed on his invention. He was all ears again, but ended up selling the business to MEC.

Lack of rigidity with a standard 9000G or GN is a problem, especially concerning crimp depth. Consistent crimps are necessary for consistent velocities. Those two support brackets turn a somewhat flexible reloader into a rock solid reloading machine.

3. cecritz

cecritz Member

do you have any pictures of brackets and can you get them from mec?
    Thanks Charlie

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Paladin, do I understand you correctly? You installed a bracket on both sides of your 9000? If so I would be interested in seeing pictures as well. And yes the left side bracket made a different machine of the 9000g. Jake
    [​IMG]

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have an early AutoMate, and I'd sure be interested in seeing some pictures if you could post them.

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

6. Paladin

The adjustable blue support bracket I had laying around. Just needed to bend the ends to the correct angle. This bracket is very similar to the one MEC uses on their hydro unit, which is where I got the idea. Difference being the MEC bracket for the hydro is shorter and extends from the charge bar area down to an extended MEC main frame, instead of the Auto-Mate frame.

The two bare metal brackets are probably overkill, but there was flex at the Side Plate, but not anymore. The three brackets made a world of difference.

7. Paladin

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I updated my second post, still new at this photo stuff, but it shows the MEC bracket going down the right side as viewed from the rear. Paladin that is some deal you made on the left side viewed from the rear. My machine is very stable with just the one from MEC. However should I see movement devlope I will devise something similar to what you did. Thanks for sharing. Jake

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When I bought my Automate II from Jim Benn, it came with one brace running from the Automate housing up to the right side of the charge bar area (as you face the machine). Shortly afterward, Jim sent me a similar brace for the left side which eliminated the flex I would see as the loader was operated.

Ed

10. Paladin

Jake,

Operate the unit while watching the black Side Plate. You will probably see some flexing. Even some is not acceptable in my opinion, and is very easily fixed.

The left side support bracket that you have pictured, with cut-outs and several additional bends would be required for use with the new primer feed. Mine are all old style, so a straight bracket will work.

Ed,

I've never seen the right side support bracket you are referring to. There is a short black bracket running from the black Side Plate up to the charge bar area, which would occupy the only bolt hole available. Can you post pics?

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Paladin, to my liking I have no flex on the right side of my loader. If something devlopes, thanks to your picture, I will fab a brace to stop it. I can't believe how much better the press works with the left side bracket. For you readers that don't have a brace do yourself a favor and get one. Jake

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm sorry - I went into my gun room last night to photograph that brace for you guys and found my camera's battery needed charged. When it was charged, I forgot what I wanted to photograph. Getting old sucks!

In the meantime, here's a shot that shows the brace on the left side of the loader. If you need more of a close-up, let me know and I'll take one.

[​IMG]

Ed

13. Paladin

Quoting Ed;

"it came with one brace running from the Automate housing up to the right side of the charge bar area (as you face the machine)"

The right side brace is what I was interested to see. Thanks.

14. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Paladin's adjustable brace support on the left side is a great idea. MEC did have something like that on the hyd unit.

I have an original ATS with the buttons on the side. I installed a MEC version (non-adjustable) support on the left. But it does not have the same mechanical advantage as the Paladin design because mine does not end far enough away on the ATS base. The triangle base is not as big. But is an improvement.

Another change I can pass along is to use a higher rated fuse without any problem.

I also removed the spent primer chute and simply use a tray under the MEC. Smaller footprint on the work bench.

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Thinking of buying one. How much higher does the 9000G sit atop the Automate? I have some height concerns.

Thanks,
    Jon Reitz

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My Auto Mate II is 5" high, it is 391/2 from table top to the top of the powder bottle.(Automate and 9000g) I use the tall bottles for both shot and powder. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.