1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

automate question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likemybrownings, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

I am very interested in buying an Automate for my 9000GN Do the linkage bars come with it to be a complete product or are they an additional item? My guess is it comes with 1 connecting bar, and the others offered are to adapt to additional presses?? Thanks Dave B

2. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

I just converted a Grabber to the automate and one of the first things you will see in the instructions is to call Mec and ask for the free support arm to convert the Grabber. It is my impression that you will get all you need to convert your 9000 when you order the automate. You will need to buy the adaptors to convert other presses. One call to Mec will tell you.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wish they would make one for a Dillon SL9000.

4. RAScott

RAScott Member

I put one on my 9000G and it is great. It all comes ready to assemble. you may consider the heavier main spring i ordered on but couldnt wait and in is on the bench just in case. I double sided some quarters on the buttons to give a larger area since soon our money will not be worth anything anyway.

Bob S

5. loweight

loweight Member

Mine is set up for a 85 series 20ga, 2- 76, 28, 410 series and 650, 12 ga. I have a rod for each. This is one of the first units from Bean. Loaded a lot of ammo with this set up.
    Bobby

6. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I bought one 6 months ago. Got an extra link kit for my 20ga grabber. Have used it on both machines. What a pleasure .

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You can get an electric drive for the Dillon from any P/W dealer.

Whiz White

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Glad you guys like your Automates, but there's something I don't understand.

I can't figure how you can get the Automate (or any other electric drive) to work reliably on a 9000G. It's a great press, and I've loaded well over 100,000 rounds on mine, but I've always believed the secret to a 9000G is learning to load by feel. You have to feel when station 3 has caught the mouth of the case and is about to crush a wad. You have to feel when station 6 has caught the crimp edge is about to crush a shell or when the turret hasn't completely indexed.

I get consistently good loads out of my press, and regularly use my reloads for registered shooting, but that requires that I pay strict attention to what I can feel through the handle. I only rarely have to pitch a crushed hull, and I don't think I get a squib load more than once in 10 or 20 flats, if that.

Nothing against MEC or their products, but I can only guess that you guys throw out a lot of crushed hulls. I've got a pre-MEC automate in my garage that a friend gave me after giving up on it completely. I note that he gave me a dozen fuses with it, and the parts box he gave me had shot in every nook and cranny.

So far, I've resisted the urge to try to get it running. Seems to me that the problem is not the press or the Automate, but the hulls themselves.

Are you getting good, consistent loads with your Automates? What reject rates do you consider acceptable?

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The only time I had any damaged hulls was when my primer drop tube became mispositioned and caught on the mouth of the hull in the second station. If your loader is set up properly, reagrdless of whether you power it by hand or with an AutoMate, you won't have any crushed or otherwise "reject" shells. Even the problem I had was not the fault of the loader or the AutoMate - I had apparently inadvertently pivoted the primer tray backward while reaching for something, causing the drop tube to be too far forward.

Ed

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Station 3 has always been the trickiest for me. I've learned to recognize when a wad is going in cockeyed, and I stop and fix it before I ruin the hull. I learned years ago what happens when you ignore it and attempt to force things (don't ask me how I know this). Does the Automate feel this increased resistance and stop reliably?

I'm really not trying to trash the Automate. I just want to know if it's worth the trouble to try to straighten out this press or whether I should just get rid of it. What I've got now works just fine, but after 10 years, I'm getting tired of jerking that handle.

11. AveragEd

Again, if your wads are entering the hulls at an angle or catching on the hull mouth, you have the wad guide misadjusted or the guide has a broken finger.

Ed

12. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Usually, the problem is the hull itself, not the wad guide. I'm pretty careful about how I place the wad in. And it's been this way since I got the press.

I take the press to the magicians at MEC for cleaning and adjustment every time I go to the Wisconsin shoot, so I don't think I've misadjusted anything.

I still get one or two per flat that want to hang up during wad insertion. I stop, pull the hull, open up the case mouth a bit with my thumbnail, and put in a new wad. It almost always goes in correctly the second time, and I use the wad I pulled on the next hull. It's a heck of a lot easier than cleaning up spilled shot.

Not sure how the Automate deals with this. It must do OK, or everybody would be railing against the Automate.

13. AveragEd

What kind of hulls are you loading?

Ed

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Trust me, once you get your AutoMate up and running, sure, it may need a little tweaking, but after that, it is pretty smooth sailing.

As for a wad hanging up. That never happens on my setup. Don't know how you have yours set up, but it should never happen.

As for crused hulls........That doesn't happen either.

If every thing is lined up, and it should be, you should have smooth sailing.

Do I watch my primer drop. Yep, it may miss once every 500 or so, but it's right in front and no biggie to watch it.

Does it ever crush the brass in the first station. Yep, if I get some shot in the collet.

It is a great setup if you want to try it. How about if you have someone you know that has one help you set it up. (Not the guy you got it from) I'm sure someone will help you. Trapshooters are into helping out.

Hauxfan!

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

who makes the automate? who sells it? other than the MEC, all I could google up was a bunch of car dealer and computer crap!

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The AutoMate is made by Mec..........now.

Try Googling "Mec AutoMate" and you will get some hits that are not connected to car dealers and computer crap......

Hauxfan!

17. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

I have to agree with Hauxfan. What he says will and does happen, but the unit is the greatest thing that has happened to this tired old arm. I have loaded mostly STS, but some Federals, and the machine is flawless. I might point out one thing that I noticed about my own reloading, and maybe, it could be part of the problem. I was always concerned about quality rather than quantity when I used the machine manually. I am not concerned about my pace now that I use the automate, but I know that I am slower because I learned the hard way that if things are not right, the machine will crush the hull. The "handle feel" is gone and the machine does not stop. Submitted for what it is worth.

18. RAScott

RAScott Member

The one thing that i had to adjust was on the return strock make sure that the turret comes all the way to the top. Aftre the initiial station the hull would get caught on the rotation. I disconnected the link and put a couple of turns on it so that the machine comes to the very top and it has been great, I still watch the primer drop.

Bob S

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can it be adapted to a P-W 800B ??

20. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Been away from my computer. Ed: STS and AA.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll see if I can get it running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.