1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Automate II and new Spolar reloader.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Utahx5, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Utahx5

Utahx5 TS Member

Over the past few days I've been working on the reloading area. After mounting the Automate II to the bench and then the Spolar to the Automate and cycling the machine 15 or so times I've run into a problem. It seems something on the reloader is causing the Automate to blow its .75 Amp fuse (I've used three in the past 15 cycles). I called MEC and the fellow I spoke with was very helpful just not very knowledgeable regarding the interaction between the two machines. He did say that Jim has noted this problem in the past and had recommended users switch to a 1 Amp fuse (and warned against picking the fuse up at Radio Shack. He recommended any auto supply store).

Has anyone else run into this problem? Where is the hangup (Automate/Spolar)? Would hate to have three trays nearby...hulls, wads and fuses.

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Why not just call automate ????????????????????????????

3. Utahx5

Utahx5 TS Member

Wow, why didn't I think of that?

Do you have a number for Mr. Benn, Bob? All my Automate numbers are now answered by the folks at MEC. You are aware of MEC's purchase of the Automate II system, right? IF someone has a number for Mr. Benn I'd be interested.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I hope Jim doesn't get mad at me, but.......I don't think he will, because he is such a nice guy.. (Did I smooth that over okay) lol

But here is the latest that info I have on reaching Jim. I would venture a guess that he knows his machines a lot better than Mec does.

(515)276-4184 Phone
    (515)707-2183 Cell
    jdbenn@mchsi.com Email

5. Utah

Utah TS Member

Left message, thanks.

6. Bob Farne

Bob Farne Member

I bought a new Automate II, from Mr. Benn last year and a new P/W 800+ from Ponsness and had the same fuse blowing problem. Mr. Benn suggested the one (1) amp fuse but I think since the press was new that I wound up with a two (2) amp fuse until I had loaded about 2 flats of shells. Now mine works well with the one amp fuse . Good luck with yours and I like my setup very well. Bob

7. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

I had the same problem,unable to fix by Mr. Benn.He recomended higher amp fuse.The problem with higher amp fuse is it will not blow with reloader resistence and high pressure creating a dangerous situation.Went to higher amp fuse.Reloader did not stop with too much resistence shell exploded in final crimp breaking my loader,sent unit back with exploded shell got refund.Paid for repairs on Spolar myself.The lower amp fuse is the safeguard to unit stoping when things go wrong,putting higher amp fuse is not the fix but is the problem.Still pulling by hand......Don

8. jimsw

jimsw Member

I had the fuse blowing problem with a MEC when I first set it up. The problem was that the MEC needed some fine tuning. I just keep some extra fuses around. I bought 100 3/4 AMP Bussman fuses on Ebay for $9.99! A deal you won't see often. If the folks at ATS say it is ok to use 1 amp go ahead. I was worried about potential damage to the electronics.

Just remember as soon as you add power to any loader you lose the ability to feel a problem when things tighten up. The power system doesn't care, it just keeps going. I've even seen primers seated sideways! You have to be careful and alert.

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

You lose the feel with hydraulic as well, but the amount of effort to do long loading sessions is worth the risk for me. I was a cautious manual loader, but the consitency with power is great.

I just pay close attention to the primer station, final crimp, and in my case station 1 where the shell loads in. I was having a tendancy to catch the back side of the hull coming down forcing it into the die on a P/W 800+. I seem to have that adjusted out now, but still watch it.

The one advantage to hydraulic I think is the sound. If something is "catching", you can detect after a bit of using the system on a different sound from the pump/motor unit. Just have to be fast on the foot control then.

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Haven't blown a fuse on my Spolar's hydro unit in the 9 years I have had it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

auto mate for the spolar