1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AutoMate Fuse Question....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have one of the earlier AutoMates and have never had much of a problem with it at all.

But lately, it has been blowing fuses for no reason. Usually right as it comes back to battery.

It is blowing the fuse right when I start reloading, but after putting in new fuses, I can go ahead and finish loading another 2-300 without blowing anymore.

I know that some of you have went to a little heavier fuse and that is what I would like to know.

I am currently using what it calls for and that is a 1 amp 250 vold fuse. What would be just a little heavier one to use?

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I don't have an Automate, but I have been an electronic technician for 25 years.

Replacing a fuse with a larger one because it's blowing is never a good plan. The manufacturer picks the fuse size based on the ability of the electronics to handle a certain amount of current. If you increase the size of your fuse you are just covering up a problem and will possibly damage the unit.

I just looked at the manual and it calls for a 3AG-250V .75A Fast Acting fuse. They also list a 1A fuse in the parts listing. I don't know what the 1A is for (some pieces of equipment have more than one fuse.) The one that goes in the side though, is a .75A (3/4A) fuse.

One thing that can cause a fuse to blow is a mechanism that is dirty or lacking lubrication. Make sure the Linkage Bolt isn't too tight. Make sure you don't have any dirt built up on any moving joint. Make sure the Resizer is lubricated. I know my Resizer sticks on my Grabber some times.

DO NOT PUT A LARGER THAN MFR SPEC FUSE IN THERE!!! All you will do is damage some electrical component.

3. buck3200

buck3200 Well-Known Member

Make sure of TYPE of fuse. This sounds like it requires a TIME DELAY/Dual element type. A fast blow of 100-250% would most likely also be safe. Graingers/McMaster-Carr

4. crk

crk Member

Agree with Rastoff:

I went to the 1A from the .7 that was in there as the .7 would just seem to blow on a normal run after a few hundred. MEC said that the 1A was good to go with and the general blowouts ended. However, if there was a tight item in the way, lubrication, shell stuck, etc, it would still blow. Check out that your PM's are current. Should not have issues with the 1A.

5. whweber

whweber TS Member

Hauxfan:

I have one of the first AutoMates to come out.

It used 1A fuses.

When I started having trouble with them blowing I contacted James Benn and told him of the problem.

I said I was going to use a 2A.

He said he would send me some 1.6 amp. I have not blown another fuse since.

I think this would solve the problem and I got the answer from the inventor of the device. Sure worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Web

6. Hauxfan

Thanks everyone for the responses.

It always blows the fuse at the end of the cycle when the shell is kicked out, so I'm thinking there isn't much pressure on anything.

What it does is to go a little pass the mark on wheel in back and it is essentially done reloading, but it now blows the fuses. May give the 1.6 fuse a try, since someone already has.

Thanks again...........

Hauxfan!

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

When I first got my Automate (MEC), it came with .75 amp fuses. From the beginning, I had trouble with fuses blowing, even when I was just setting up the reloader, and not reloading actual shells. MEC advised me to go to a 1 amp fuse as they said some of the Automate motors had some diffrent specs and needed the 1 amp fuse. Switched over and have never had a problem since but thie was on a new setup. I would be a little careful in your case, as you note that your older Automate worked just fine with the 1 amp fuses it came with for a long time, and only recently started blowing fuses. To me, this would indicate some friction area or other problem with the reloader or linkage causing an extra strain, rather than a fuse problem. Going to a heavier fuse might just cause this problem to worsen or damage some of the reloader parts instead. I think it might be better to get the loader and linkage checked over first to eliminate any possible binding, etc before looking to the fuse.

Jim R

8. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

All automates require fast blow fuses. I had a problem with fuses from radio shack. Very inconsistant and poor quality. Purchase Buss or Little fuse brand and most of you fuse problems will go away.

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

As an electric motor works harder it draws more current. This is usually what causes the fuse to blow. If your motor is going a little past the point where it should stop, this is when it starts to work harder and could be causing your fuse to blow. Is there an over travel adjustment?

I've seen it happen once or twice in my career, but for a fuse to blow without something being wrong is extremely rare. Since yours was working fine, I suspect that something has changed. A bent bar, dirt, an adjustment slipped, there could be any number of causes.

If MEC says to use a 1.6A fuse then OK. Otherwise...

10. Hauxfan

Klay Buster might have the answer that I was to dumb to see. The fuses that blew really easy were from Radio Shack. (Dang)

I will try to find a different brand than Radio Shack.

Any ideas where to buy Buss or some other brand besides Radio Shack?

Thanks again everyone.

Hauxfan!

11. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Any Hardware or Auto parts should have Buss fuses. I also went to the bigger fuse (1amp) and never blew another. About 3k through the machine since i bought it.Perry

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I'm not sold on one fuse being that much better quality than any other. But, try them out and report back. I'll be pleasantly surprised if a Buss or Little fuse works any better than any other brand.

13. Will Cam

Will Cam TS Member

Hauxfan, I too had a similar problem w/my Automate II. I've had it for a long
    time now, but when I first set it up, I had the supplied fuses blow on me as well, during the set up. I Went to Radio Shack for fuses and they blew very quickly. I may have got the idea from a fellow Trapshooter poster, but I went to a Napa Auto parts store and picked a pack of fuses (I'm not home right now, so I can't tell you the brand or type), but that was months ago and I'm still on my first fuse. Good Luck.

Will Cam

14. skeetjunkie

skeetjunkie TS Member

Jim Binn, inventor of the Automate, told me NOT to use fuses from Radio Shack. I had a problem early on in my use of the Automate, replaced the fuse with one from Radio Shack and never got a single shell loaded with them. Called Jim and that's when he told me to find something other than those from Radio Shack and to go up to 1 amp fuses. Since then, I've not have any problem with blowing fuses.

15. Hauxfan

Thanks guys, I'll get some other brand of fuse today.

It's worth a try.

I know I never had to replace a fuse for about 3 years, and the only time they did blow, it was a reloading error. (In other words, my fault)

It is only after I ran out of the fuses that James sent with my AutoMate that they have blown.

I just never put two and two together.

Not using a lot of fuses in my old age, I thought they were all the same.

I guess we will find out if they are or not.

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lowes sometimes carries Buss or equivalent quality fuses. I get them for my Multimeters from them. They are hard to find locally and Lowes had them, plus a good assortment of other industrial fuses. Home Depot might also carry some. Radio Shack has some low quality stuff. Grainger's also can get them for you, if you have one locally. Most electrical/electronic supply outfits will carry a wide assortment of fuses also.

17. Hauxfan

I didn't find any Buss fuses, but I did find some Cooper Bussmann fuses.

Will put them in when my next one goes and see how they work out.

Thanks again everyone!

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.