1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AUTOLOADER SHOOTERS? PICS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by st8shuter, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

can a shooter with an autoloader be competitive in todays trap competitions?
    or am i at a disadvantge using one?

2. brad99g

brad99g Member

Of course you can, I know several people who shoot them and are very tough to beat. I shoot a Competition 1100 with a hastings high rib barrel and seem to find myself very close to the top of the list most of the time I shoot. If you are confident in your equipment it will break em.

3. metal1

metal1 TS Member

i still shoot an older win 1500 feild and can still knock em outa the sky and it is graet for doubles,jeff

4. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Of course you can, especially w/1100. These are excellent trap/skeet guns, very soft to shoot, easy to repair, keep it clean(really no big deal) and you don't have to mortage your house to buy one. There are a number on this site, this man MIA has one for sale and he is a well respected guy.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This one's performed well for me for a few years at state shoots and the Grand.

Leo Harrison shot an 1100 like a house afire for a long time till it was stolen! Earl Scripture shot 303s for years also. Daro Handy holds the all time long run from the 27 with an 1100!! Bernie Wanner of Neb. shot an 1100 real well for a lot of years too! Yeah, semi-autos can be mighty competitive in trapshooting!

[​IMG]

Hap

6. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

At our club the best shooter uses a 1979 1100 field that he bought new. Fixed 30" full barrel. He has shot several 50 straight and a couple of 100's.

I have an old SKB XL900 in 20 ga that I use sometimes. It has a 28" Mod fixed choke and does quite well, but not as good as my 101.45

7. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

shot A 99 with mine yesterday..............in doubles!!!!
    and a 100 in sgls

8. Squeal

Squeal Member

HAP - what kind of stock is that?

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So you already knew the answer to your question....

Really the main reason you see so many break open guns is because they stay relatively clean for many thousands of rounds and cleaning/maintenance requirements are minimal. Service life and resale value is generally much better with the break open guns as well.

But the guy with the autoloader isn't at any particular disadvantge - providing he is able to keep his gun running.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Squeal, I had Phil Simms make that one for me to my numbers. Since, I've shot some good scores with this old gun!

Hap

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hap: Beside the shell catcher what is that other stuff on the receiver?

12. Hap MecTweaks

Dave, that's my EZCloser I made in my shop years back. I use the end of my pinkie finger to close the action when it's my turn to shoot. Maybe I should repaint it soon? :) It's the easiest closer to use I've ever seen for closing a really hard to close 303.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.