1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto repair warranties

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hauxfan, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My cousin swears by them.............But then, he doesn't know diddly sh*t!

Hauxfan!

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A couple of suggestions from a retired service manager and warranty administrator.

1)ONLY buy a warranty from the company that made the vehicle you are buying the warranty for. That is the only company that has a stake in how you feel about the warranty - and, since it is their warranty, how you feel about them. They want your next new vehicle to be one of theirs; a warranty company could not care less what kind of vehicle you buy. You will receive breaks and goodwill gestures from a manufacturer's warranty that you will not receive from an aftermarket warranty company.

2)Of the hundreds of companies selling aftermarket extended warranties in the USA, it is a constant fact that 75% have been in business less than six months. It is a very here today, gone tomorrow industry.

3)Make sure the warranty company will pay your service provider's posted labor rate, not their opinion of what an hour's labor should cost in your area. Many shops will understandably pass any difference along to you.

4)Find out if the warranty company, if it is not a manufacturer's warranty, will pay your claim to the shop via a credit card over the telephone or other form of immediate payment. If they will not, you have to pay the bill and await reimbursement or leave your vehicle at the service provider until it receives their payment and possibly until it clears their bank.

5)Determine that the warranty company will pay for NEW original-equipment parts instead of used or aftermarket ones unless the replacement of a major component is deemed the most cost-effective repair method.

6)In the case of a major component requiring replacement with a used one - a transmission or engine, for example - make sure you will be provided with a notarized odometer statement for the donor vehicle and that the identifying numbers on the used component match the VIN of the claimed donor vehicle.

7)Make sure the warranty will cover electric/electronic components like the ECM, PCM, navigation system, trip computer and electronic climate system controls. Many aftermarket warranties do not and some of those parts can get ugly-expensive in a hurry.

8)Make sure that any repairs will be covered by a no-deductible warranty covering 100% of the parts and labor required to correct any defect that occurs within at least one year or 12,000 miles from the repair date.

I could go on but you're likely not going to find an aftermarket warranty company that will agree to those conditions. However, just about any manufacturer's extended warranty will.

Ed

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They are a very highly profitable insurance policy. They are not worth it. Sucker bet.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

They are good for the seller and bad for te buyer.

I'm on the do not call list and from time to time I still get the warrenty calls. DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR CAR WARRENTY IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT? Oh it is ah what car do I own? All I hear is a CLICK. I think that the state of Va has or is working on laws to stop this scam in Va. It might be the same in your state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.