1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto Reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

As we age, our shoulders can no longer take the manual pulling of our reloaders. For every shell that is loaded the arm/shoulder move down AND up. So for one flat of shells [250] our arms/shoulders move 500 times in a repetitive motion. As an example of this stress, a member of our club reloaded 500+ shells manually [1,000 repetitions] and injured his shoulder to the extent that he cannot shoot for at least a month.

If you have not considered a hydaulic or electric automatic reloading addition, DO SO!! You will wonder why you took so long to save your body from the repetitive stress Fred

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Awww....shucks! Does that mean we old farts have to cut back on our beer drinkin' due to the "repetitive arm motion" syndrome? Heck, I consider this great exercise!

AndyH ;-)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Our old bodies need exercise to keep from freezing up. Loading 500 shells in one sitting is not a good idea. Put the reloading machine in your bedroom, when you get up to pee in the midle of the night you can knock out a 100 shells and go back to sleep. HMB

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a "Power PW". That is a PW operated by Son-in-law.

But I load my own. My forend shoulder (left) is nothing but a gun rest and I need the extra strength I get from loading using my right arm.

I need to get a steroid shot in my shoulder nad I hate them.

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

HMB - If I took your advise about the loader in the bedroom I would be going back to sleep from a frypan hit to the head long before I knocked out a 100 shells. Mike

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If you do have your loader in your bedroom, you will knock off 100 shells faster if you reload them before you make it to the bathroom, rather than wait until you've gone.

In fact, if you really have to go, you'll be surprised at how fast you can load those shells........lol lol

Hauxfan!

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

This sounds like a good title for a C/W song. "LOADIN and PEEIN".......Roger

8. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I was thinkin HMB's idea was pretty good, I'd prolly get 11 or 12 hundred a night loaded but the thought of what might happen if I got mixed up in the middle of the night and pulled too hard on the wrong handle. Owieeee

9. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have a stainless steel humerus(upper right arm) 6 bolts & 4 screws,or is it
    6 screws & 4 bolts? Plus wire wrapping everything together. The stainless steel plate is attched to my shoulder. If I didn't have my MEC hydraulic, I would be out of shot shell reloading.
    Go with the hydraulic,

Joe Jordan

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I just go to the gym and stay strong. No need for a auto Loader yet.

11. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Putting aside the tough drinking guy talk, electric is the better of the two automatic reloading methods. Not for everyone, and expensive. But if you can afford it...the way to go.

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I can tell by some of the answers there's a bunch of young snots on here, Fred; but your point is well taken.

It's good advice and if it's your poor arm/rotator cuff or just ease and speed you chase, and you have a P/W loader, I strongly recommend the electric motor drive with hand toggle.

Both Whiz and Jim Cunningham have 'em, and I'm delighted with mine. In retrospect, with all the updates on my old 800B, excepting, maybe, the removable die setup, perhaps the motor drive is the best accessory added to date.

mike

13. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Charles what makes the electric units better, I'm wanting to change to auto but have been leaning to the hydralic??

14. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

ccw1911, electric is smaller, quieter, hand operated, no fluid leaks, and fuse protected.

Nothing hanging on the floor (1e. foot pedal)to bang into. Electric motor only runs when the dies move. No constant motor hum. Hand operation is easier to learn by many. Since it is not fluid drive, there is no fluid to leak. A fuse protects the electrical system.

Hydraulic reqires both an electric motor and a pump to work. Pure electric is much simpler.

Hydraulic system's motor must run all the time. Electric system's motor only runs when you push the button and stops when the stroke is complete.

Up to now I have not discussed price. There is not much choice of manufacturer or competition. I have a MEC 9000. You may not. You will find the best price you will pay by shopping retailers on the net.

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Hydraulic vs. electric?? As I understand it the electric can not stop in mid stroke, while the hydraulic can stop any where in the cycle AND back up if need be. I sold my PW 2000, but kept the hydraulics and attached it to the Spolar. What a pleasure to reload... not one call to Dixie or Whiz for repairs. I am now a "reloader" -- not a "mechanic"... thanks to John Malcolm who turned me on to Spolar -- worth every penny. Now for you young guys who think you are indestructable -- repetitive shoulder motion builds up and will eventually effect shoulder functioning AND shooting. An auto system is so much less money than shoulder surgery and a lot more fun, unless you like the cortisone shots [BIG NEEDLE]! Fred

16. shark1

shark1 Member

Fred if you want to buy an auto reloader that is fine. When you blame reloading for shoulder surgeries, that is crazy. I am hoping that you just have a dry sence of humor. I also have an ortho doc on speed dial, (no joke). I must admit if you are sincere about your arm motions than you have given a new meaning to the word lazy.
    Michael Sharkey,DC

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Manual reloading must be good for business. Fred

18. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The wear and tear on your shoulder and especially for me my elbow adds up. Back in my prime when I practiced thosands of pistol rounds my 1050 would give me tennis elbow so bad that by the time the shoot arrived I was in too much pain to shoot worth beans. So it got down to not practicing enough or shooting with pain or finding someone I trust to load ammo, no way. Wish I could have had auto back then.

19. willing

willing Member

Not to let misinformation go--the Automate can be stopped or reversed at any point. Also my fingers(buttons) move faster than my feet(pedal).

Bill

20. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

How do you stop an Automate in mid stroke? What do you have to do to reverse the stroke? What happens when you let go of one of the two buttons? If it will reverse when you let go of one of the buttons -- why the need for two buttons. Curious minds want to know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.