1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto Ordinance/Thompson .45

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I can purchase a relatively new one at a good price, but heard they had some feed problems. Anyone have experience with these. Also curious about their accuracy. It's a 1927A-1C with a stick clip. Thanks

2. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Never seen a Thompson with a feed problem but if you use old military magazines (the Tommy doesn't use clips) you can encounter problems from the feed lips being damaged by poor handling. The ones I use in the 1928 we have uses mags that are at least WWII era or earlier and never a hitch. Drums are fun if you are patient because I've not seen very many that will work reliably. Some will, most won't. I don't recall the last time I was able to shoot an entire drum without a jam.
    Last semi auto one I shot would always print under 1 1/4" at 25 yards and didn't seem to care what ammo was used.
    The full auto versions are more fun but only if someone else is providing the ammo.
    "full auto, the fastest way to turn money into noise"

3. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

My 1928 Thompson has a terrible feed problem so I put it on a diet. Instead of 30 round mags I went to 20.

4. Setterman

This gun is 2 years old, manufactured by Kahr Arms (Auto Ordinance). I know they had some issues with their .45 pistol, but didn't know if it was an overall quality control problem. I would like better accuracy than 1.5" at 25 yards if possible.

5. bradhe

bradhe TS Member

I have one of these. It is reliable with both sizes of stick magazine provided that they are modified to fit the gun (you have to lower the attachment hole)and you use ball ammo. Mine will even work at about 99% with 200g H&G semi wadcutters. I've never tried to figure out how accurate it is, but 1.5 inch at 25 yds is probably more than this is capable of even with match ammo. It is not what this gun is really intended for.

6. Setterman

So...on the Band of Brothers, when Garnere shoots the German running at 70 yards, and 5 of 6 rounds hit him square in the back, that was probably not authentic? I expected a bit more accuracy, but for a home defense gun, it would be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.