1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AUTO MECHANIC HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gusto777, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I have a 2005 Ford F150 pickup with the 5.7 Triton fuel injected V-8 engine with approx. 60,000 miles on it. Truck has been running fine until this morning when it refused to start. I suspect it may not be getting any fuel. Possible bad fuel pump or fuel filter. Is it alright to attempt to start the engine using starting fluid? I thought it might help to use starting fluid to start the engine to see if indeed I have a fuel problem, but I don't know if this may harm the engine or the injection system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gus

2. Ducky

Ducky Member

Excellant idea there. I used to squirt carb spray into a vac line to the intake to check for spark. If it pops and farts or even runs for a little while you can rule out a spark type problem. You will not hurt anything. HTH

Scott Lambe ASE Master Technician. 23 yr SAAB Volvo tech

3. SYLHOUETTE

SYLHOUETTE TS Member

don't use starting fluid on a gas engine. you can cause serios damage to the heads. it is use primarily on diesels

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Gus, I used to use WD40 and it worked well. What I would suggest to start is to turn everything else off and switch ignition on and listen for fuel pump, if you are hard of hearing like me I have removed gas cap and listened there. If you do hear the pump then switch it on for approx 20 seconds and switch off and do that several times and after the third time try to crank it. This will normally get your started if the fuel pump is weak. There is also a fuel cut solenoid but it normally trips with a hard hit, like an accident. Can't hurt to check it though. Jackie B.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If the filter is on the firewall, you can disconnect the supply and just turn the key on for a half second.

If you get fuel, put the filter in and see if it comes out the other side.

Normally you can hear the fuel pump run on for a few seconds till the proper pressure is reached.

If you get fuel, try and get a cupfulor so and look at it in a glass to see if there is water in the bottom of the glass.

The reason I say this is we just went through that with grandson's car which he runs almost on empty all the time. He picked up so much condensation the car would not run.

Had to empty the tank, put new filter in, ran injector cleaner mixed in a gallon of gas through the whole works, then let it sit for a day.

Presto-Starto.

HM

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

You know, I'm going to be accused of (again) being a little rough and straighforward, but.....

Do you think that an auto repair website is the place to go to get advice on which trapgun to buy?? I guess I'm a little surprised to see the questions that get asked on a shotgun site and while there is a good likelyhood that someone on TS.com may have an answer or advice for you, I'm certain that auto repair sites would be a better source of information.

With all due respect,

Larry

7. rooster59

rooster59 TS Member

Try this website. I've probably done $3000+ worth of my own work on my '99 F-150 using a Haynes manual and this site.

http://f150online.com/forums/index.php

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Gus, if you suspect a no fuel situation it is fairly easy to check. DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID thats a bad idea as you could cause piston damage. Being fuel injected the vehicle has an electronic fuel pump, that said find the schrader valve in the fuel line it usually has a valve cap on it the same as a tire vale. Turn the igniton key to the on posistion not start. take the cap off the scharder valve and place a rag around and over the valve now depress the valve stem (center of the valve0 keeping ur face back if you have fuel, the rag will become soaked with gas. If no gas comes out then you need to replace the filter and most likely the pump. For had a problem with the pumps caused by oxgeneated fuel. Does the engine crank as if trying to start? Open the air filter box and check the air filter it may be starved for air. Check and make sure that the radiator and expansion tanks are full of coolant, a leaking intake manifold could cause problems that could if you try to start the negine destroy it from hydro lock . Check the oil some engines will not start if the oil pressuer is low due to low oil level. These are the things to start with. If you'd like send me a message with details of what is actually happening and I can check to wee if there are any know problems or what to look for.

9. gusto777

gusto777 Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP !! I tried the easiest suggestions first. Jackie B. your suggestion about checking the fuel cut solenoid did the trick. I reset the solenoid and the truck fired right up !! I didn't know thar cars/trucks had this equipment. Thanks for evertones suggestions. As for your comments Larry I know you weren't trying to be mean but I've got to disagree with you. I've always found the people on this sight to very helpful on a host of subjects other than direct trapshooting issues. As a matter of fact I enjoy alot of the "off topic" threads. To me this sight is kind of akin to hanging out at the gun club on Saturday or Sunday and shooting the breeze about shotguns, trapshooting and a host of other topics mot related to shooting.

Thanks Again Everyone !!

Gus / Las vegas, NV

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Watch out for your cranky neighbor with the rubber mallet. A good whack in the right place will drive someone nuts! :)

11. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

glad you got it going. I never thought about finding a deal on a trap gun on my car site. I gotta go!!! Birdtracker

12. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Bruce Specht . . . Thanks for your detailed response to my propblem and thanks for your offer for the personal message. Fortunately I got the truck going with Jackie B's suggestion of the fuel cut solenoid. Once again thanks to everyone who responed to my thread. You're all great people !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.