1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

auto mate question about primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I do believe that I will buy the 9000 with th automate all ready to go and in that case I will sell the 2 that I have. However one owner told me that he had a problem with Cheddite primers and MEC told him that he should use primers made in America. I am not going to switch to win due to outrageous price. So have any of you users had a problem. I see that several, even when you get them all pre set up from MEC, had to return them. Maybe I will only sell one of my 9000s :)

2. biercart

biercart Member

I have four machines that I use with my automate, I set mine up myself and once I got them adjusted I have not had to touch them and have loaded thousands of rounds thru my machines, you will not be dissapointed you will only ask yourself why didn't I do this a lot sooner. I have never tried the Cheddite primer but if it is the same as a Win 209 you should not have any problems.

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have the automate and use Cheddites. Lots of them! No problem. I know others who also use them with no problem. Jake

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used Fiocchi 616 (209 type) and Fed 209A with my MEC 9000E without any problem.

5. Tedky

Tedky Member

Have one Dillion SL900, one Hornday Apex, one automate 9000 and two hyd Mec 9000's and use Cheddites without any problems. Go for it and let me know when you sell the 9000's have friends looking for used ones.
    Ted

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Like Jake said, I have the auto mate and use nothing but cheddies and have had no problems with them feeding, etc..

Van

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Why would the Auto mate effect the use of any primer? The same primer feed set up is used on all the newer MEC's. The mode of operation should not effect the primer feed at all.

Ajax

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. I can't offer any help as the only 209 primers I've ever used were Federals and Remingtons.

Ed

9. shootsome

shootsome Member

I have a MEC AutoMate with the new primer tray. I kept geting Cheddite primers jammed in the opening to the drop tube. I called MEC and they said they have heard of this problem but cannot replicate it in their factory. I switched to Fiocchi primers and have had no such problems after 15,000 primers.

10. WWB

WWB Member

AJAX
    Problem referred to were NOT with the primer feeding system--it was with the seating of the primer--not going in deep enough so the table could rotate to the next station...the feeding system--especially the new one work great.
    Bill

11. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Willie,

Why don't you adjust the powder drop/primer seating tube for more seating pressure (but not too much), easy to do. See the MEC manual for instructions and pics. Do just enough so that the shell holder plate will turn after seating the primer.

Larry

12. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I have a MEC 9000 with the Automate II. I use Rio and Nobel primers in Remington Gun Club hulls (steel) for my 16 yd loads. I use Winchester & Cheddite primers for my handicap loads. I have also used Alcan, Herters & CCI primers with no problems.

Vince McNamara

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bill, thanks for the clarification. I figured if Cheddite's were a problem on one, most likely they would be a problem on all.

Ajax

14. WWB

WWB Member

Guys-
    In an earlier post I asked if anyone else was experiencing seating problems with Cheddites...seems lots of guys are using them...except for mine naturally!
    By the way--it would not seat Winchester, Federal, or some CCI's I borrowed either.I know all about dropping the powder tube slightly etc--even had Mec involved.
    No solution was found and the machine is now on its way back to Mec. Glad to hear that most others have no problem. When it came time to loosen the C clamp on the powder drop tube the first time, the allen head bolt was in so tight that I bent the shaft on a 4" long allen head wrench & it just squealed coming out--plus it was smooth-every thread gone. So--that's the story I will try to let ya all know what they found out and how it was solved. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.