1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AUTO MATE NOW AVAILABLE FROM CONNIES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Conniescomponents.com now has the new Mec Auto Mate available for $494.99, DELIVERED to you.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. newcastle

newcastle Member

link for new automate in action. http://youtube.com/watch?v=fxMv5fHiUfo

3. Searcher

Searcher TS Member

Does anyone have one of these Mec Auto Mates yet?. I am curious how they work, and have they been around long?> Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks Jeff

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

searcher,

I have two Auto Mates. They are smooth, quiet, portable and reliable. Needles to say, I'm extremely happy with them.

5. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

I would love to buy another ATS Automate II. Not the Mec version. I just like the ATS version better. Dan

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

ATS sold out to Mec. I had called them as they were doing it. Have since changed my mind on getting one. I'd rather have a foot controlled type.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hoggy, I can't see why someone with electronics know-how couldn't wire a foot control into the AutoMate. With the way the machine worked when ATS manufactured it (buttons only had to be depressed momentarily), I never understood why some people wanted a foot control and felt that if they tried using an AutoMate, they would change their minds about a foot switch. I certainly don't feel mine needs one but then I was never accustomed to using a foot control. But now that MEC has reprogrammed it to require the buttons be held down for the machine to operate, I understand how a foot control would be attractive.

Of course, any such alteration would void MEC's warranty. But as bulletproof as the AutoMate has been, that may be a non-issue.

Ed

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I agree with Average Ed. I too, have the pre-Mec Automate. However, I don't think Mec should have changed the way the buttons worked.

What they are saying is, it's okay to use your hands while using a hydraulic unit, but not with an electric model.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Hauxfan!

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

IMHO, I apologize for shouting. I just watched the video of the Auto Mate in operation. Now then think of this, what are you going to do with your hands as you are waiting for the press to cycle and you have a wad and hull in each? Mec has converted the Auto mate to what is refered to as ' a two hand anti tie down' system. It is to make sure you do not reach in and grab a misplaced wad/hull and get your pinkies pinched! Yes I know you will say your are careful and not stupid enough to reach into an operating machine. Well I worked in the metal working industry from before the era of pull back cables on punch presses and light curtains and two hand anti tie down systems and believe me I saw many a person with missing fingers and more in the early days. The same people that want to use only one button or a momentary button are the same ones who want to use foot swithes on their drill presses and they will eventually mess up and be hitting the foot switch before they want to. It is I am sure a liability thing for Mec to have changed it. I cannot believe that ATS had marketed this set up with out the two hand anti tie down feature. the machine is only going to cycle so fast. I had workers that always wanted the clamps to open and close faster on fixtures but had to point out to them the falesity ? Of that idea. If you push things to fast and they break then you have downtime and will not get done with your quota and have to work the whole day anyhow. Just like safety systems on lawnmowers I had a friend that jsut could not be satified with how something was manufactured and he would usually mess up a good thing. I witnessed it inperson one day, two men runnig a fixture and somehow only one set of push buttons would operate the fixture. Well the button guy hit the buttons and his partner seen a part out of location and you guessed it he reached in as the clamps came shut and he got a couple of fingers broken! Neither one of them realized that the red T handle on the air system was to dump the air in an emergency. The dude had to stand there with his fingers mashed until another person released the air. Not my responibility I was just the resident tool maker but I did make sure that management got the message to fully train the workers. Bill

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Hmmm, I didn't see anyone shouting. Must have edited it out. As for the foot pedal it's just that I used spot welders etc for over 40 years and have gotten used to using my foot. Plus the way it's set up now you cannot have a wad and hull in your hands waiting to put them in until you let go of the buttons. All that's required for safety if converted on foot pedal is to have it set up where the machine stops if you take your foot off. I really decided I didn't want either now because sometimes my only problem with mine is the powder/shot charge bar doesn't go back and hangs dumping shot all over when it springs back. I can control that by holding the handle of the press down so it spills the lead still into the hull than manually pushing the bar over before getting the handle go back to the top. I do NOT however see where that would be possible with either the hydraulic or electric type. Unless I just don't understand how they work, but I pretty sure I do. Therefore there would be no way to keep shot from going all over. Now if the charge bar was mechanically hooked to the handle do go both directions that problem could be solved. I may try to make a piece to do that someday but have too many other things to do right now. Mec may consider doing something like I described but I want royalties. :O)

11. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Love my pre-MEC Auto Mate I. Buttons on the sides. Cleaned shells on the left, wads on the right. One for each hand. Place both and then push buttons. Reach for more away from the machine (while it is doing the work) and do it again. Now that is sweet.

Get one from Connies. You will forget what the money looked like, but you will never forget how sweet that Auto Mate works.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hoggy, I had that charge bar problem with the 9000GN I now use when I first got it. MEC accurately diagnosed the cause as the bar-to-channel fit being too tight. They told me to tilt the charging mechanism back and give the two rivets running from the top of the chrome channel to the bottom a tap or two with a punch and mallet until the bar slid smoothly. That took care of the problem!

Ed

13. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Speaking of royalties, after I bought my first Auto-Mate, I made and installed a brace from the top of the MEC charge mechanism area on the 9000, to the left rear corner of the Auto-Mate. A brace arrangement that is similar to MEC's own hydraulic 9000 brace. It really stiffened things up on the MEC,, a lot.

When I saw James Benn at a shoot shortly after, I mentioned this, and showed him exactly how mine was positioned. At the same state shoot one year later, James had his display there, demonstrating Auto-Mates. This time, his Auto-Mate had a ,,,,support brace installed, exactly as I described. Mec still uses it. No royalties,,oh well.

I've done them both one better. I've installed another brace from MEC's right side plate, to the right rear corner of the Auto-Mate. All braces cost nothing to make. The center column on the 9000 doesn't move now,,at all. Crimps are flawless.

14. Peacore

Peacore TS Member

Hi fellow shooters,

I have one of the original Auto Mates. I was Jim Benn's first customer in VT.
    My machine has been upgraded with some new parts free from Jim. I have used it a lot and really like it for my MEC presses. Mine is the type that you can push the buttons and then reach for another shell and wad. I have a manufacturing background and have never had a problem with getting my fingers in the way of the moving parts. I guess I may be more aware of the safety issue than some other shooters. I think the new way MEC is selling it is a smart move for them from a liability standpoint.

Now for the foot control question. I would never go that way with a reloading press. It's just too easy to get out of sync and get a finger in there and pinch it super bad. A friend of mine has done it twice with a PW hydraulic run press using a foot control. Maybe also a Spolar, he has both presses. Ouch! It took him some time to recover.

I look at it this way, if I had a foot control for a reloading press it would not be a question of if I would have an accident but more likely a question of when. By the way I was responsible for safety in of a manufacturing facility of 250 people. A foot control is an unnecessary risk, why take it.

Ernie Broe

15. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Ed: I'll check that out. Thanks
    Ernie: Guess it's all a matter of coordination. Not saying you friend is un-coordinated but maybe he's the type that gets in such a hurry he gets out of sync. I can understand from a liability stand point Mec setting them up the way they do.
    Appreiciate all input.
    hoggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.