1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AUTO-MATE II with HULL FEEDER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FELLOW RELOADERS ,

Is anyone using a PW 800 PLUS with the Auto-Mate II AND the PW Hull Feeder ? I purchased a PW Hull Feeder but it will take a little bit of modification to use with my Auto-Mate and the 800 Plus . I'm wondering if anyone else has or is using this setup ? It may be more trouble than it's worth -I don't know . With any kind of assit on the press you can't feel any extra pressure like you do pulling the handle . When something is misaligned you tend to break things .

Looking for some help here.

Good shooting.

BILL

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

I use the feeder all the time on my 800+ and have great results of about 400 rounds per hour or more. I was never able to get the electric system to work well with the shell feeder because of timing issues and crushed shells. I gave up on the electric motor and kept the feeder as it greatly improves the loading experience for me.
    It took quite a bit of fiddling around with the adjustments to get the feeder to work without a hitch.
    First the plastic tube needs to be aligned accurately and tightened into place correctly or the ram that pushes the shells on to the turn table will jamb and misfeed. Getting the gap between the top of the grey plastic ram and the bottom of the plastic tube set correctly is a must. The ram can not ever be below the bottom of the tube or the ram my not line up correctly for the next shell. My ram sits just inside the bottom of the tube by about 1/8" or less when the ram is fully forward pushing a shell on to the turntable. It is just enough to make sure that the ram is pulled back into place by the return spring . Another thing is that you must adjust the full forward position of the ram the pushes the shell forward very accuratly so that the shell base falls fully into the seat on the turn table. If the shell does not fall fully into the seat the turntable will jamb the next time it moves and you are in trouble again.
    I sold the motor and keep loading by hand and find it a much better option than using the motor with the shell feeder.
    Good luck
    doug

I found that I had trouble using the feeder in conjunction with the electric drive for the 800+. There was just to much going on so I sold the electric drive and went back to pulling the handle myself. Using the handle provides good tactual feedback so you can tell if you have a problem before you crush a shell and jamb everything up and have a mess on your hands clearing the jamb out.
    Hope it works for you.
    Doug. Doug@citadel-USA.com

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have both the auto case feeder and the electric drive on my 800+ plus and I wouldn't have it any other way. Mine works flawless, load after load. Last night I was seeing just how fast I could load a box of shells and I loaded 25 shells in 91 seconds. It will flat put them out and the shells look factory new.

4. TjayE

TjayE Member

goose2

At the rate of 25 shells per 91 seconds is equal to 989 reloads an hour. Now that is fast. Tom

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- The PW is fast but, 25 shells in 91 seconds does not really equal 989 reloads per hour. You have to include filling the shot/powder hoppers and the primer tray. Getting additional hulls and wads ready also takes a little time. And if I am doing the reloading, I have to include one telephone interruption, a cigarette break and a Coke break. Sometimes I even have to use the bathroom. After around 500 rounds I box the shells and that takes time. Next comes something my wife needs me to do. My actual time to load 1000 shells will vary from around 1 hr and 45 minutes to five days.

Pat Ireland

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A little bit of wax or graphite will take care of that problem.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Like Doug, I gave up trying to get both the hull feeder and electric drive to work. Unlike Doug, I elected to keep the electric drive as pulling on the handle is more effort than feeding hulls.

With the hull feeder I could load faster than just having the electric drive.

My loading rates were over 600/hr with the hull feeder. I run about 500/hr with the electric drive. That includes time to add components.

Shells drop into a 5 gal pail (500/pail). I carry a pail to the range and I box at the range during breaks or BS sessions - unless it is a registered shoot.

Don Verna

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Jack: The bracket is still bent too much.

Should be an "L" with a twist.

Whiz

9. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,

You're missing my question !! What I'm looking for is anyone that has the setup I mentioned above & what they had to do to get it to work properly .

We all already know what is needed for the primers to flow correctly > one of the Whiz's vibrating motor hook ups - problem is they are A LOT OF WORK & I know Jim has other things to do besides cater to us . However , should he ever decide to make more I'm on the top of the list.

Back to my original thread-anyone have the above mentioned setup ??

BILL

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Makes a guy sorry he reads some threads. Bill, the protocls on TS.com are more like a discussion at the trap club. I'll go sit with the ladies. Speaking of which, I was witness this past weekend to a lady shooter and a junior lady shooter that have gun handling skills equal to anyone I know. They are both top shelf Wisconsin shooters.

11. soup

soup Member

12. soup

soup Member

13. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

Mike I'm just fine feeding shells by hand in my press. I have done it for 20 years this way and you are not going to change me now!!! Sorry just guess you'll have to bite the bullet and try it for yourself.
    Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.