1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto loader opening to early

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Open early?? Please explain. Depending on the type of powder/load, the flames are normal....they'll all do that.

2. Robb

Robb Member

Burn a faster powder or maybe hotter primer. Had the same thing with PB and an 1100.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

1 0z of shot and Greendot means some incomplete combustion. No real harm done, but the solution is either a faster powder Clays, Red Dot, 700X or more shot or shoot in the daytime.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"My son's Tekny Gold is opening early with flames from powder coming out the ejection port"

Flames coming out of the ejection port doesn't mean the gun is opening early.

5. JSWISSH

JSWISSH TS Member

have the same problem with new shells -- DIANA,and RIO's -- really noticable

when shooting under the lights or just at dusk. Ther are some of our league

shooters that were bothered by this and no longer shoot these brands of shells.

6. 330craigd

330craigd TS Member

Tron and Mrskeet410, you have a good point. We are experiencing flames coming out of the ejection port (during daylight, singeing hair} during recycling of action. I will try some factory STS first, then red dot and or 1 1/8 oz loads. I think this is the first time he ran 1oz with green dot thru this shotgun.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Years ago when we played shooting games at night.. Red Dot/Promo/700 had little or no flames.. Unique lit up the night.... What fun..

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The first time I shot my 391 at a night time trap shoot, I thought the same thing. Then I took a look at some other guys shooting autoloaders and they were all letting a bit of flame out when the bolt opened. I'm a left handed shooter shooting a right handed 391 so I get a pretty good view of the ejection port.

So what should be learned from all this is that eye protection is a necessary whether you see flames or not.

9. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Change to faster burning powder and/or hotter primer and try to increase the pressure to get complete burn. Stay with published loads though.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I had the exact same problem with my gaspipe. It happened with Remington and Cheddite primers. Less evident with the Cheddites, but still happened. Switching to the Winchester or Federal primers just about eliminated the problem. Loads were adjusted accordingly as per the data used, if required. The gun is not opening early. Some of the powder is burning late. :) No problem using Green Dot with the right primers.

11. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    Get away from Green Dot- it's a slow burner. Need a faster burning powder for autos, and a "flamer" still will happen once in a while. Those are real fun when you're a lefty shooting a right handed auto. That flash blowing out right in front of your eyes is something to behold!
    Go with Clays Powder. Great for autos 'cause its real clean.
    -powderburn

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

330, if an autoloader opens too early that means it unlocked too early while the pressure is still too high. When an autoloader of any kind unlocks too early it usually results in a case blow out and the release of high pressure and damage to the firearm. You are not experiencing opening too early. Just wanted to clear up that point, the advice given about powders to use is good.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot the 303 exclusively and they do the same thing. It is as the post's state and cannot be eliminated completely but is worse with some loads. Open too early???? Hardly!!

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I suppose you could have it retimed or tuned to that particular load......Remember these autos are expected to operate with anything you stuff in it.......Put kerosene in your car and see how well it operates.

OR...you could do the prudent thing and change powder....It can not be an asset to your shooting.

15. steele

steele TS Member

I posted elsewhere that I had the same problem with RIO shells in a 391. About 25-30% would put on a little "light show". I picked up a couple boses of Estates, Top Gun, & AA to try. I went out last night & did not have one flamer. Now the better 1/2 will not have to worry about the 'Flames of Fury"
    distracting her.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MUZZLEBLAST

Might have a little to do with the primers in the Federals and Winchesters. Like I stated in my post above, changing primers made the most difference. Changing powders did only a little to eliminate the flames, if anything.

17. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

When I switched from Remington primers with the same 1 oz green dot load listed, to Fed. 209 A, problem solved. Courtesy of Quack Shot.
    Joe Jordan

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Save the Remington Primers for the Cut-Throat and other back fence games. :) Really messes with the next shooters timing! Just watch your eyebrows.

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you really want to see a show, load up a couple of black powder shells and shoot them. Your autoloader will be belching smoke and fire from every orafice. It's quite spectacular at night under the lights.

You want to talk about shooting glasses needed.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.