1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto Ideas for my wife.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The softest shooting auto for me is a Remington 1100, but depending on her build she might prefer a 391 Parallel RL (reduced LOP and Grip to trigger distance). Both guns can be had with a 28" barrel.

ss

2. maka

maka Member

The Berretta 391 is lighter of the two. Winchester makes an SX-1 which is even lighter. See if someone at a local has a 1100, 391, or SX-1 to try. Most shooters are willing to let you try their guns.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Look at the Beretta 3901s too! Replaced the popular 303 series!!

Hap

4. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Browning made a ladies Gold Sporting. It has a ported 28" barrel, and reduced LOP. I looked at one for my wife, but she didn't like it being a lefty.

She liked the BT-99 micro best, so I bought an old 32" BT and had it cut off.

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Get her a Beretta 3901 RL. 12 ga., 26" or 28" barrel, 12" LOP with two 1/2" spacers. A longer stock can be put on. $935.00 Or consider a 391 RL with a reduced length stock 13 1/2" LOP with a 28" barrel. $1125.00
    MIke Battista
    727 410 5212

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

An auto for your wife? How about a 1965 small block Shelby Cobra? Maybe something just a little bigger if she plans on taking you and your guns with her to the shoots. $100,000 ought to get you a nice one in this soft market.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

The Remington 11-87 Sporting clay with the shorter forearm and light contour barrel (26 or 28 in) with 7/8 oz loads might be worth looking into. The NP version is great looking. JM

8. dawgcpa

dawgcpa TS Member

When my wife was shooting about 5 or 6 years ago she had a Browning ladies gold hunter 12 gauge. I first bought her a beautiful 1100 20 gauge. I could not keep it running smoothly. It was definitely my error but I couldn't keep it oiled properly. It would hang up and she was already timid because she was a new shooter. I sold it and got her the browning and we were good to go. To me, it had about the same recoil as the 1100 20 gauge. The gold hunter also had all the barrel work done from the factory. I looked at getting a 391 but to get one with the barrel work done would have cost me much more. It was a very nice gun and regret selling it. Back then, I bought the gun for under $800.

9. maka

maka Member

I do not know why? but all our local shops seem to want blood with any thing with BENNELLI name. what is really weird is that there made by Berretta, which you can bye same gun for lot less.

10. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

We have a youth stock Rem 1100 20 ga at our club. I just bought a Rem Choke barrel 28" from a fella here. I teach the ladies with it and they love it! I am the one that cleans it, etc. While wife is cooking dinner, etc....clean it for her! I've never had a problem with it and the 1100 is cheap and there are plenty of used ones out there. WHEN she decides she really wants to shoot....buy her something else. You'll always be able to sell a 1100 youth 20 ga for what you paid for it!

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Get her a Beretta 391 rl and make sure it fits her to a tee before much shooting is done. She will shoot with you all the time when there is no pain or bruises to contend with. The fit will be just as important as the gun you purchase. Boobs have a way of being in the way while shooting a shotgun. May be the only time in my life i could think they are in the way.lol

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If she is a small framed woman, look for an 1100LT 20 ga. You can have the stock fitted for her. An 1100 in 12ga is also a good option, if she can hold one comfortably. Most importantly, have the gun fitted to her. You can always buy a replacement stock and alter that, leaving the original intact. The 1100 is a decent gun and can be found in good used condition for reasonable prices.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

My wife went to buy a gun with me one day because she was "tired of not having anything to do" when I went shooting. She bought a 28 inch Beretta 391 parallel comb. Nice do-all gun. However, a friend chastised me for "letting" her get an automatic: too dangerous, one error in closing the bolt and she could lose a finger. That friend saw that happen to a friend of his, a male shooter.

I retrospect, perhaps I should have looked for a 32 inch BT-99 for my wife. However, I figure that 1. the guy who lost a finger in an autoloader may have been drinking or a klutz or both and 2. my wife is well-coordinated and sews on a Bernina high grade sewing machine. She has never hurt herself sewing, so I figure that things are only as dangerous as the operator. She does take pride in that gun because it is "pretty"....however, she doesn't like to shoot because, after shooting maybe 20 rounds of trap, she was unable to break more than 20 clays!!! Not much patience..

14. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Speedy,

If I were buying a gun for my girl again, I'd take her to a club where you could rent and shoot a few different guns. Then let her choose what she likes. Don't fall into any of the Advertising B/S.

If she's already decided on a semi-auto, I'd steer her towards either an 1100 or a Beretta 391 in 20 ga. Especially if she's recoil sensitive. The 1100 is older technology but a good gun, the 391 is the best semi-auto on the market today PERIOD.

I wouldn't make the mistake again of letting her shoot any of my Benelli's unless I didn't want her to shoot ever again. The benelli's are good mechanical guns but not soft shooting by any means. In fact, they kick quite a bit.

Good luck.

15. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

How about one of these. What every wife needs.

[​IMG]

16. vdt

vdt Active Member

391 trap gun,with adjustable comb,amd make sure it is not tooooooooo long

17. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Speedy,I vote for bt99 plus micro. they are all adjustable for fit and very low recoil.I have never seen a better gun for the price.

18. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

My 5"1 wife and 13 yr old son use a 12 GA Beretta 391 RL with a 28" barrel. Country Gentelemen modified the RL stock with an adjustable comb and their custom adjustable LoP butte plate. It adjusts about 1.5" up/down, L/R and the LoP can go from 13" to 15." I added the Beretta internal recoil reducer too. With 7/8 oz or 2 3/4 dram 1 oz shells, there is almost no felt recoil.

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-target-rl-12/26/

I just dont think there is a better adjustable gun out of the box for a smaller framed person. If your wife has hands on the small size a reduced grip to trigger is a MUST for comfortable shooting. Along with proper pitch.

If I had know about this site and Mike B @ silver dollar I would have purchased from him the 3901. I could not find any local dealers that could get their hands on one at the time either.

I opted for the browning gold sporting clays women's model. Although the stock was a bit shorter and grip a tad closed it just was not enough. The drop @ comb was also to low for my wife. I ended up with a stock from wenig. That I fit myself. My only wish is that I had the adjustable comb done. She is not shooting much if at all so the adj comb is on the back burner. The gold is a good gun goes about 1000 rounds before needing a real good cleaning. Well it may go longer but I give it a detail clean @ 1K rounds.

20. AEP

AEP Member

Last September (2009) my wife starting shooting. I got her a BT-99 Plus with 32" barrel. I did several things to it. First I installed the spring kit as listed on this site.

Second the BT-99 Plus comes with a recoil reduce. I took that off and installed a Kick-Ez recoil pad. That put LOP perfect, and if she decided she didn't want to shoot anymore I could put the gun back to stock condition.

Third I added about 8 oz of lead to the butt section. I took sheet lead and cut it into 1/4" - 3/8" squares. I put the sheet lead in plastic and stuffed in the butt section, then installed the recoil pad. By placing the weight in the butt section it makes the gun heavier but isn't very noticeable. It helps with the swing.

Last I installed a front sight with the replacement pipes. She liked the green pipe.

We spent about an hour at the patterning board and I dialed her in to shoot about 75% high.

So-far it has worked well. Her hits seem to be centered. Now it's up to her.

She tried my Browning Auto, but after a couple of weeks of complete tear-down for cleaning she likes the break open better.

Good Luck,
    Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.