1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Auto for Doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

I am thinking of trying doubles this year. Is shooting an semi-auto an option? Do people on your squad get pissed if you are ejecting hulls at them? I know they have shell catchers you can use for singles and the handicap. What do you do for doubles. At this time I just cant aford the double barrels for my P-gun and may want to try with an auto of some sort. Thanks, gjmen

2. coho

coho Member

Since my o/u is in the shop right now, I dusted off my 1100 last weekend and shot doubles with it. It covered the guy next to me with hulls. After the first pair I offered to stop shooting but he was ok with my hulls hitting him. i don’t think too many other shooters are going to want to take an STS shower like that. I’d buy a cheep o/u.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ok for fun, For ATA to many moving parts to keep clean and running.

4. setter

setter Member

You need a "shell deflector". Click on the post above and it will give you some ideas.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I hate shooting my 1100 but had to when my 3200 was in the shop . Did well with it considering it is a release and that was the first time I shot doubles with double release . Got use to it very quick and did well and took some money at our State Shoot with an 86 that paid my day . I save my shells so had to shoot junk loads .

6. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have shot an 1100 for 20+ years at Doubles, and can only remember 1 time someone actually got upset, he actually resquaded before we shot the first pair. I have had many any times that shooters actually came to me after we finished the round and told me thet shot their BEST score ever, while shooting next to my 1100, it made them pay more attention after waiting to see my empties fly by. Dennis Whitlock AAA-27-AAA

7. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

A pump will work, you can shuck it easy and not hit your neighbor.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Fortunately my 1187 puts the shells forward, ahead of the line.

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

On 1100s the shell deflector is on the barrel lug. The 391 Berettas are terrible about throwing hulls. This can be fixed with a simple brazed nipple inside the barrel lug. Several gun smiths can do this on them as well as other autos. With a little twiking an auto will do fine. 1100s are more finiky and harder to keep clean. Though others can be adapted, the 1100 and 391 are the only CURRENT production guns. The old Super-X 1s were great guns and many still use them.

10. Lyle

Lyle Member

I used to shoot an 11-87 for doubles and shot it ok. One time in Reno a guy started giving me grief about it throwing empties at him. Now, I shoot left handed and I was shooting a left handed gun. This means that the empties are being thrown at a guy WHO IS DONE WITH HIS TURN shooting. I also failed to mention that this was on THE PRACTICE TRAP. I told him to mind his own business and he told me that he might have me disqualified. I was in a bit of disbelief (on the practice trap) so I reminded him that at least I was still a man and that I was a bit bigger than he and that he might be well served to shut his mouth and move along. He complied! ha.
    What a jerk.

I stopped shooting the auto because of malfunctions. I was on the same squad as Stu Welton at the Oregon State shoot one year and fired a 97 in the event. Stu won the Out of State Champion with a 98. So, I lost to an All-American by one target in the doubles, not so bad except that all three of my losses were due to malfunctions. That was the end of the auto.

Lyle

PS I now have an over and under and still lose to Stu, maybe I should have kept the auto? ha

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

gjmen- I would much rather see you shooting doubles with an automatic than not shooting doubles.

Doubles can quickly become a shooters favorite event.

Pat Ireland

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I was shooting from station 3 once, had somebody on station 2 shooting an 1100 that was a right-handed shooter. On station 4 there was, you guessed it, a left-handed shooter with an 1100. Talk about getting it coming and going! The scorer thought it was funny watching me get beaned by the empties. As for me- I stopped and bought a lottery ticket on the way home, I figured I'd try to repeat the odds. By the way, I saw the humor in it as well.

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

jgmen, As you read above, an auto with a shell deflector will work very well on doubles. Guys like Tron can install one inexpensively. That said, I hunted with a Remington 58 for many years, still have it, and would not hesitate to use it again, however I find the action of an auto very disconcerting in Trap, especially in doubles. I've tried them all, including a release trigger, and really just don't like all that commotion going on when trying to focus on the target. JMO

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Many years ago I was on a squad that had a guy on it that was shooting a Super X-1. Now these baby's throw empties a looong way. Although this was a singles event; this individual did not have a shell catcher on his gun. The hulls from his gun were routinely being ejected well into the next post. Well the guy next to him was becoming increasingly irritated by this. As we got well into the round the Super X-1 whipped a shell from Post 2 to this fellow on Post 3 and the hull landed in the back collar of his shirt and down his back. It must have been slightly uncomfortable the way this guy was dancing. I think the guy was more ticked off at us than the shooter as we sure thought it was funny. It still cracks me up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.