1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Trap Nationals

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AUSSIE RAY, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AUSSIE RAY

AUSSIE RAY TS Member

The Australian Trap Nationals start in Wagga Wagga New South Wales in Australia on March 25th. We have just had our 11th straight day over 90 degrees. Come on you snow bunnies you still have time to come down and visit us we will show you a time you won't forget in a hurry

2. aslackigan

aslackigan TS Member

G'day Ray,

Fairly warm here in Mildura as well. I enjoyed browsing your stall at the SA Trap Carnival, bought a pair of Sunblaster glasses and a book for my brother in law. Are you guys coming to the Easter Shoot here in Mildura, we have $15,000.00 worth of prizes this year and expect a big turn out.
    The Nationals begin on the 29th March with the Pre National Championship, program here.

Followed by the Nationals on 31st March- 6th April, program here.

Regards,

Andrew.

3. aslackigan

aslackigan TS Member

oops obviously bbcode does not work here.

Program for the Pre Nationals is http://www.claytarget.com.au/Documents/Championships/08TrapPreNatProgram.pdf.

Program for the Nationals is http://www.claytarget.com.au/Documents/Championships/08TrapProgram.pdf

Regards,

Andrew

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Wish I could be there, sounds like a great shoot. maybe when my world slows down. Have fun shoot well.

Don

5. aslackigan

aslackigan TS Member

Thanks BIGDON,

Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the Nationals this year. I got promoted to Captain, I work for Qantas' regional airline, in September, which cancelled all my leave for this year.

I will also miss the spot I had reserved in Leo Harrison's Clinic to be held, in Wagga, on the 28th March. I am rather disappointed about that.

Regards,

Andrew.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Aussie Ray, I was in Brisbane and Carnes last October for my daughters wedding. She married a fella from Brisbane. Great country. Question..Do they have "roundabouts" between the traps???

7. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Andrew, sorry you will miss the class. Leo is looking forward to being in Australia, but not really excited about the 15 hour plane ride from LAX to Melbourne, but I guess it beats a slow boat. Wish I worked for Qantas or American so I could upgrade his ticket, I checked and to upgrade just from LAX to Melbourne would cost over $16,000 US.....wow the price of fuel is awful everywhere.

8. aslackigan

aslackigan TS Member

G'day Mrs Harrison,

Yeah the price of those "J" and "F" class seats are just ridiculous. Even staff travel is not what it once was, as we have to pay the fuel surcharge now as well.

Regards,

Andrew

9. AUSSIE RAY

AUSSIE RAY TS Member

Sorry Andrew cannot make it to Mildura will be entertaining a couple of our American shooting friends Ron and Ruby Koche from Iowa who are holidaying downunder and going on to our Nationals in Wagga. Don't worry about Leo travelling all that way in the plane Bill Illes and the rest of us will make sure he rehydrates when he gets here. The icecream man has ordered in extra knowing Leo is coming

10. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Hey Peter

You still up if so please answer

Stubbie

11. 682 Adam

682 Adam TS Member

Well bugger me,,there are some Auzzies on this site.

Im from tassie, but unfortunatly wont be making it to Wagga for the nationals, we have a baby due in may so thats put paid to that,Roma next year is another story, allready booking the motorhome (sorry RV for you americans)

Hey Ray, why oh why is there nothing like this site for Australia maybe we should ask the ACTA to start a forum on there site or even attach it to your site.

I wounder what would be said about the current situation with the olympic team between Vella, Henwood and Diamond on a forum in OZ

Cheers
    Adam

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wow! I had thought your commie/pinko government had put you all out of business. Good luck to all of you. It is a terrible thing indeed what has happened to your gun rights just because of some mentaly challenged idiot in Tasmania. I see where many of the people in what you say the 'outback' are challenging your government about having handguns. Good luck to them also. Bill

13. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

As an Australian living (and trap shooting) in Northern California, I thought you'd like to know that there are significiant differences in trapshooting between Australia and in the USA.

Australia shoots Down-the-Line or DTL. I can't confirm this, but I am sure the targets are thrown faster and at harsher angles than ATA. DTL throws a target between 0 and 22.5 degrees to either side of a center post set 50-55 yards from the traphouse. The average speed for a DTL clay target leaving the traphouse is usually between 60 and 100mph.

In the main game & handicap, you get TWO shots per target. There is no regular doubles, but there is a "singles" where you only get one shot at the target. Hence, all trap guns I saw in Australia were double barrelled - a mono gun was quite unusual when I first saw one in the USA.

Also, the dificulties of owning a trap gun in Australia and not much different than California - except you need a photo id "shooters license" and need to belong to a shooting club. We have a similar gun registration system to the FFL.

Aussie Phil

P.S. I am not confusing this with "Olympic" or "bunker" trap - we have that in Australia, and I am pretty sure that this game is identical between countries.

14. 682 Adam

682 Adam TS Member

Its ironic Bill I live in Tasmania and since the Port Arthur shooting and the stupid knee jerk reaction by the government to take all the "bad guns of the bad people" gun ownership has actually risen here and I believe its the highest "per capita" in OZ.

Phil, as far as im aware we too shoot at 45deg targets now, it was narrowed a couple of years ago, as for speed i dont know, the majority of targets thrown here are 15 meter double barrel with points score and single barrel next in popularity, Handicap seems not to be as popular as it seem's in the states and things like doubles, continental, ball trap are shot rarely

I dont think ive seen a mono gun here, we just load one shell into our double barrel guns to shoot singles

Cheers
    Adam

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Trapwife, A few tips for the flight to Australia. Most flights are overnight, but not all. Make sure yours is overnight so you can sleep. Much better. If you get on a double decker, ask the stewards if the flight is full, and if you can jump into unused seats once you lift off. You may have a chance to stretch out.
    Alot of times there are extra seats on the upper deck, and the lower deck people don't know it. I'm not quite Leo's size, but an empty seat next to you on the flight is a blessing. We also did a layover in Tahiti. That was good. Got to get up, walk and stretch. It does however require you to go through customs again. Good Luck. Beautiful country. Driving on the left side and the roundabouts are a 2 day learning curve!

16. aslackigan

aslackigan TS Member

G'day Setterman,

I am sure if you come down under to shoot, we could organise some roundabouts between the traps.

But you are right, our road designers are in love with the things. I have a sneaking suspicion they are cheaper than traffic lights. Don't feel too bad if you had trouble with them, lots of locals do as well.

We have some unusual ones here in Mildura where, if you are turning right, you have to change lanes half way through the roundabout.

Regards,

Andrew.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What are the gas prices "down under?" Also, what is the Aussie dollar's value compared to the US dollar?

18. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

For such a long flight be sure to check out www.seatguru.com so he can at least try and get one of the more desirable coach seats on the plane.

Now what is a couple of extra dollars for a better seat up front, is he not worth the extra money? Just sell a gun or two and enjoy the flight.

19. aslackigan

aslackigan TS Member

G'day shot410ga,

Petrol is about $1.40AUD per litre here in Mildura ATM, which is about $5.30AUD per US gallon. $1.00AUD is about $0.95USD ATM so $5.30AUD = $5.02USD per US Gallon.

As an aside I see gold cracked $1000.00USD/oz today.

Regards,

Andrew

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I spent 5 days down under for R&R from Vietnam. Nice country and pretty girls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

australian trap nationals