1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Cattle Dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hello all. I have a chance to get a really cute puppy (a blue heeler) ... but I'm having second thoughts. I went to the AKC site and it says that this breed is for young people with big yards and making sure they get lots of exercise. That if you leave them alone inside they will tear stuff up. They always have to have a job to do.

I really like the breed but I'm an old geezer with homes that have yards but not they are not huge. I have no problem giving him exercise and throwing the ball or frisbee around and he can swim in the pool. I have trained all sorts of dogs for 50 years in obedience and some fancy stuff. My college education is in "behavioral science" ....... yet, I am not sure I'm the right person for this breed.

If you have any experience with the ACdog, please fill me in. Thanks, Bear.

2. Barry C. Roach

Yeah they say that they will ALWAYS "dismantle" about anything they "play" with. I like my dogs spunky but not destructive of my good stuff.

3. lonetarstocks

lonetarstocks TS Member

I have two heelers they are super energetic and do need to run and play out side a lot but if trained young and properly are great house dogs mine sleep under my bed every night and have never tried to tear up anything I train gun dogs so they are well mannerd dogs if you have the time to train them inside they well make you a wonderful dog

4. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Barry, I live in OZ [ downunder] and have had a couple of blue/red heelers as well as German Shepherds, "Like computers/ reloads/ gud wimmin you gets out whats youse put in !!" I have never had any trouble with them as a pup IF they were taught rite, and yes they will fiercly protect you and family if required. Down here they are about *4 on the dangerous list but Maltese terriers and Shcitzu's are above them. They are a beautiful, intelligent, loyal breed.

5. gaboy77

gaboy77 Member

I have a 12 year old red heeler. Best dog I ever had. She will outswim most Lab's I know. She is a house dog but has access to back yard via doggy door. We did have problems with her when she was young. Separation anxiety caused her to "eat" a couch cushion and ottoman. I was traveling extensively at the time and my wife working night shift at the hospital. It was entirely preventable and we learned our lesson. At 12 my heeler has finally calmed down to the activity of a normal 1-2 year old dog. Smartest and most trainable dog I have ever had. She is great with my young children and could not ask for more. Our next dog will definitely be another heeler.

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The only requirement to having one of this breed is that ya gotta drive a pickup with a flatbed on it. So the dog can run around on the bed at 60 miles an hour and bark at every car in sight. Leastways that's how they do it in Texas.

GneJ

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Probably not the best choice for you, based on your living arrangements and self-acknowledged physical condition (geezer).

The are, like most herding dogs, high energy critters that require a lot of physical activity, similar to German Shorthairs, Jack Russell terriers and the like.

The saying "if your dog is overweight, you need more exercise" really applies here. Be prepared to spend a lot of time outside with the dog every day.

They are also really, really smart dogs and need a lot of activity that challenges them mentally, otherwise they get bored easily and can become destructive chewers and voracious overeaters.

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

Barry, if you need a working dog, get the puppy. If you are looking for an indoor companion there are lots of other breeds that will suit your situation.

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

My sister-in-law had two.

Nice dogs. But if you don't have a flock of sheep, they'll herd you.

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My Queensland was a 1 owner dog. He was extremely loyal, and my best buddy. The problem was, he would tend to "herd" my wife, even taking a nip at her heels from time to time. I ended up giving him to a neighbor who had a small dairy. He was in doggie heaven with all of those cows to boss around!

11. Barry C. Roach

Sounds like kind of a crap shoot, doesn't it?

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Our neighbor has 2. They have a 12" trench dug from chasing cars driving by.

Labs and Goldens are nice!!!

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Had one given to me when I had a cattle farm. Dog stayed outdoors, did not get along with anyone other than me. I fed the little hellion. This dog is not for you.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

No doggy pics from anyone who has one???? whats this site coming to?

15. Barry C. Roach

I tried to "cut and paste" a pic of the little bugger but haven't been able to transfer to TS.com. I'll keep trying.

16. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My brother's australian was a biter.

17. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

Dear Sir,

I rue the day I will be without my heeler. If you are a dog man,it doesn't get any better. If you are not,you will be humbled. My "Nicky" knows what I'm thinking before I think it.
    Be prepared to "LIVE" with this breed. They are at their finest,when they are "ALWAYS" within arms reach.

Respectfully,

Patrick Swartz

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I remember that the dog in the movie "The Road Warrior" was a cattle dog and not overly friendly and sometimes bit people.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tronspace/media/3529149207_daa21cb237_o_zps116bf9af.jpg.html" target="_blank"> 3529149207_daa21cb237_o_zps116bf9af.jpg </a>

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why not get a dog more suited to older but still sporting folks. Like maybe the Clubber or Basset. Lazy hunting dogs.

20. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Herding dogs will bite. Companion dog = boxer [we call them "velcro" dogs. Hunting dog = English Springer Spaniel [good in the field and well mannered at home]. Good luck on your choice. Fred

Search tags for this page

australian cattle dog forum