1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AUSSIE wins world issf shooting championships

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Stubbie, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Just thought I would let you know Michael Diamond has won the trap event with new world record 148/150 in Cyprus today.
    We Aussie are also entertaining your President in Sydney.

Stubbie

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Damn fine shooting.

3. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

It is not two hole ATA targets but Olympic trap or Bunker to you a little harder targets than ATA?

Regards Stubbie

4. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Where did the post go with man asking if 148/150 was good shooting?

Stubbie

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

148/150 is about as equal as 499/500 in ATA and lets not forget that he was allowed 2 shots per target and that means ... means ... means really almost nothing but I just wanted to that out before Neil W. could.

No matter what though it was some serious wicked great shooting and it would have been fantastic to watch that fantastic shooting. I wonder how the Americans who were there did?

6. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Lumper:- Josh Richmond from PA took bronze in the double trap, also the last 25 targets in the Trap final are shot single barrel Diamond shot all 25 to win.
    Regards Stubbie

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Also, different from ATA, "dust" counts as a broken target in the last 25 (if I am not mistaken) through the use of a camera and specially filled targets.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

That's some mighty fine shootin' with those 7/8 oz loads.

ec90t

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I forgot to ask this earlier. Is a 20 ga legal for International/Bunker trap?

With the 7/8 oz shell restriction and the longer string created by a smaller bore, there could be an advantage to it. The gun could also be built lighter due to a smaller frame. Just a little food for thought.

ec90t

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

TimB99 ... a break is a break and counts. What your thinking of is a target that they can and do use for the final round when shooting under the lights and for the television cameras. It gives a much more dramatic effect when the target is hit than just breaking into 2 or 3 pieces.

If I understand the targets correctly they have a powdery dusting in the center and when it breaks its just a big poof of a powdery dust cloud.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

lumper,

Here's where I got it from (written by Les Greevy), and the text, which leads me to believe that if they see dust it's counted as a dead bird. Am I reading it incorrectly?

"The good news is that you are allowed to fire 2 shots at each target and a visible chip from either shot counts as a “hit” target, except in a final round using “flash” target in which “dust” will count as a hit. Flash targets are made with a chalk similar to carpenter’s chalk sealed into the concave portion of the target’s dome. The chalk leaves a cloud of orange dust in the air when hit solidly and is more easily photographed by the television cameras, which is why they are used in the finals."

12. jtf650

jtf650 Member

If you have some time to kill, the link above will take you to a video of the final that Diamond won- just click on the picture and it should start up. It's long, though, the first 8 minutes are just introductions relieved only by the brief appearance in the audience of a very attractive young lady in green. The little icon next to the sound level enlarges the screen to full size- a little blurry, but you can sometimes catch a glimpse of the target. And those targets are moving. I'm about 10 targets into the final, but I need to take a break- I suspect the whole video is probably 30 or 40 minutes long, and I don't see how to fast forward it. Have fun, and congratulations to our Australian friends. James Fawcett

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Check out the below link for all the official rules ...

http://www.issf-shooting.org/rules/english/2006/27_shotgun_2005_2nd.html

Section 9.18.9.2
    “Flash” Target “HIT” ... A target is declared “HIT” when it is shot at according to the rules when at least one (1) visible piece is broken from it or colored powder becomes visible after the shot is fired.

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Can anyone point to a link which shows what all the shooters did? We had some American shooters there, including some talented kids, I think. Jake

Oh, and by the way, a break is a break. Not dust. The reason for the statement about dust in the finals is because of the "flash" targets they use in the final round for spectators and TV. They have a packet of powder glued inside the dome. When the targets break the powder explodes in a cloud of orange "dust." It is quite dramatic. Not like getting "dust" from a poorly hit ATA bird. A tiny bit of dust without a break is lost.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Guys, thanks for the clarification.

jakearoo, Try this link:

http://www.issf.tv/issftv_table.aspx?mod=csdt&pane=10&inst=1&iist=720&collapse=results

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

The results are at the below link ...

http://www.issf.tv/media/classissue/default.asp?cship=720&year=2007

The highest US finisher for Trap was Brett Erickson w/ a 120/150, Lance Bade w/ a 119/150 and Michael Herman w/ a 116/150.

I dont know about the double trap and skeet but the results are there as well if you want to look.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Haley Dunn finished 4th (95) and Kim Rhode finished 6th (94) in women's skeet. Connie Smotek finished 21st with a 67 (3 rounds only)

Josh Richmond got a bronze with a 189 in doubles trap. Walton Eller finished 17th with a 138 and Jeff Holguin finished 29th with a 136 (3 rounds only)

Men's skeet & women's trap are not finished.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

More info at USA Shooting's web site.

Some of the USA Junior's did well.

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

Lets correct some of the misinformation posted here.

Yes... you can use 2 shots in the qualification round of 125 birds.

The top six after qualification then shoot a SINGLE Shot final. Since the SINGLE shot final started there have only been about 7 or 8 PERFECT 25's .... Now think of that ... only a handful of PERFECT 25's in the last 4 years. There have been only 2 shot in matches in this country.

Our best shooter Bret Erickson shot a 120/125 in the qualification and it took a 123/125 to get into the final.

Oh... for scoring there is a referee and two flankers watching the targets break. That is six eyes look for pieces... and one last thing 24GM loads that are a little less than 7/8-oz.

The 20 gage thing.... People looked at it when the 24GM load was introduced about 10 years ago. Perazzi even made a run of 20ga bunker barrels. It was rejected. The 12 Ga. performed better.

TB

p.s. go watch the video.... you will see the toughest trap shooting in the world.

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks for the info TBaber!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.