1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie Trapshooting pics- Wagga Gun Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

We ventured 3.5 hours south of Sydney to Wagga Gun Club, for their annual 2 day shoot- "The Golden Crow"

Wagga (its proper name is Wagga Wagga, which in Aboriginal language means place of many crows) is home to our head office for our national shooting organization- The Australian Clay Target Association.

It is also the Gun club where they hold the National titles for trap and skeet 4 years out of every 5, with the other year sending it interstate. Needless to say this is probably one of our best facilities in the country.

Remember, Unlike the USA none of our clay target clubs are privately owned, all are run by members voted in by other members, and moneys are made through membership costs, and donations, so it takes a lot of volunteer time and effort.

Anyway, back to the shooting, The targets were pretty good, a little cross wind blowing the noses down on occasion but all in all it was a great shoot.

You will perhaps notice a few folks you might recognize that went to the Grand this year, being Garry (Release Trigger on TS.com), John Crompton, Geoff Kidd (who uses the nicest Krieghoff i have ever laid eyes on!) and Daryll Reed.

None of us won the major prize but we all got something as a result of shoot offs, John especially shot a 230+ in the shoot off for the Double Barrel event on Sat (remember 2 shots at a single target is double barrel) but came 3rd o/all, Gary and i shot off for the single with another guy and got second and 3rd o/all, and in the major event on sunday John shot off for first in AA grade and just missed out.

Enjoy the pics and i think Gary will post some of another regional shoot next weekend.

photo-10.jpg

image-19.jpg

image-14.jpg

image-15.jpg

image-13.jpg

image-12.jpg

image-16.jpg

image-17.jpg

image-18.jpg

2. Keith Uffelmann

Keith Uffelmann Member

Looking at the third picture I see two of my breakfast mates from the Super 8 in Belleville, IL during the Grand. Glad to hear that you are shooting well.

Keith

3. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hey Keith I will pass that on next time I see them!

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I noticed in the 5th and 6th pictures it appears the shooter is moving from post 5 while the shooter on post one is still shooting. Is this normal for Trap in Austrailia?

Nice to see my good friend Gary(Release Trigger) and his mates. Aussie Dan, if you manage to make it to the Grand here in the States, I would like to meet you too.

Matt

5. bdalton

bdalton TS Member

I was wondering if you ever talk to or see Linsey Baxter. He took me out to the Frankston gun club while I was living in Melbourne. If you see him or talk to him tell him that Britt says hi. Cheers mate.

6. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

@ grntitan- yes mate we move each target on each lane, so there's quite a bit of walking as you walk around the back at least 5 times per round. Takes a lot of concentration to reset yourself before every single target.
    It also makes it much slower as you cannot walk with your gun loaded and you also cannot close your gun until the shooter to your left has fired their shots.
    One day I aim to make it over there and it would be great to meet you guys. Gary isn't going this year and it's too short notice for me to organize, but I'm hoping sometime the Aussie boys have got one more trip in them to show a young pup like myself the ropes over there!

@bdalton- sorry buddy I dont know him, frankston is around 9 hrs drive from my area and I've never been. If I see his name on the score sheet at the Australia titles I'll go say hi for you.

7. bdalton

bdalton TS Member

Aussie Dan, Linsey has Linmar Repairs he reconditions western traps. Do you ever make it down to Echuca and shoot. I am coming over in December and was wondering if there are any shoots to go to. Cheers Britt

8. grntitan

Aussie Dan,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm thinking some of us ATA Trap shooters could benefit from your style of Trap shooting. I know I could stand to lose about 40 lbs. :)

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nice looking club!

10. skeeter1956

skeeter1956 Member

who won the crow this year dan?

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Walking between each shot doesn't do much for weight loss unfortunately!

The winner was a junior, I think his surname was Willett or something? 298/300.
    It wasnt as good conditions as previous years so I was told. The breeze was a little blustery and turned the targets into the ground some occasions. I heard all the really high holders say they had to hold lower to avoid the diving targets.

12. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Keith,

Sorry we will not be over this summer, Matt the tall guy with the bad leg is coming, along with a few new guy's, the economy is not good down here and I need to concentrate on business this year if I am going to retire in the next year or two.

Aussie,

Mate you need to do something with that camera, it seems to have a habit of expanding the waistline, great weekend with great targets, hope to see you at the Marconi 100 or Orange in a few weeks.

Matt,

As you can see by the photo's walking between each shot does nothing for the waistline, good luck again for the upcoming surgery.

Release...........

13. warren

warren Member

Thanks for sharing very interesting.

warren

14. skeeter1956

skeeter1956 Member

dan would that be james willet [corowa gun club] ... not a bad shot for a 15 or 16 year old

15. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Yes skeeter I'm sure that was him, he did well there was some cracker shots there.

16. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Hi Release trigger Good to see you and John relaxing at Wagga Wagga I see that you are not going over to the states this year I hope to go but have had some heart issues just after I arrived home last year but if the Dr gives me an all clear I will go.
    My Friends in Iowa all ways want me to stay longer so might go to the grand and miss Iowa State as that Hot Humid weather kills me getting to old.
    Ray &Pat are going again but They think 2013 may be their last if I last that long it will be my last Grand.
    Hope you are all well and like to catch up at the Nationals in March.
    Cheers
    Stubbie aka John Holder

17. grntitan

Great to hear from you "Stubbie". It was a pleasure shooting with you, Peter J, Don Renner and Gene Hapney at this last years Grand. I wish I could have shot a little better. I sure hope you are able to make it to the States this year. It's always great to see your smiling face. Take care of yourself.

Matt

18. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Stubbie,

Gidday mate, I hope the heart problem is not to severe, ain't it a bitch getting old (or so I'am told).
    No trip over for us this year, need to keep my head down for the next 12 months and really increase the size of our business so the son can take over and Mum & Dad can retire in style.
    We are not even going to the Nationals as 50 targets a day just does not do it for me any more, if I cannot get at least a 100 a day I ain't goin.
    Good to hear from you keep well and if you go to the Grand say Hi to all we know in the good old USofA.
    PS. Give Miss Patty a big hug for me when you see them.

Release Trigger.............Gary.

19. xtxt

xtxt Active Member

Gary

Glad to see that Jonnie and yourself have not lost your nack of spreading the bull and sitting in the shade with little brown bottles.(where's the food)

Good to see your smiling faces and not so good back sides.

Sorry your gang not making the trip this year,that will leave a big empty spot in my shooting enjoyment this year (hope you make it next year).

Aussie Dan thanks for sharing the pics,we appreciate it.

Have a good one Mate

Don S.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

GREAT thread guys!! Hello "stubbie" and Peter J. and all my buddies! John, please say hello to Ray&Pat M. for me? I hope to see, shoot and have a cool refreshing time with all our friends from the other side! Peter J. be careful where you eat next time too!! See everyone at Sparta hopefully and stubbie, take care of the ticker too my friend!! All my best to everyone!

Gene Hapney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wagga gun club golden crow

wagga wagga clay target club