1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Aurora Spotsmen's Club - Sugar Grove, IL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by freindsofasc, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freindsofasc

freindsofasc TS Member

Due to the forced annexation of the Aurora Sportsmen’s Club, by a nearby municipality, we are in jeopardy of losing our shooting privileges.
    The Aurora Sportsman’s Club in northern Illinois is in the process of building a full service shooting facility of Olympic quality. We need your help in moving forward with this dedicated site for all the shooting sports, including Archery.
    For a $10 contribution or more, we will send you a post card good for one day of shooting at either our existing facility in Sugar Grove, Illinois, or our new facility, once it opens, in Waterman, Illinois. For more information and directions to our facilities, go to http://www.aurorasc.org

Send contributions to:
    Friends of the Aurora Sportsmen’s Club
    Attn: Mabel
    PO Box 414
    Aurora, IL 60507
    Include your return address for our One-Day pass.

2. freindsofasc

freindsofasc TS Member

As this is trapshooters.com I will also like to point out that we currently offer trap, skeet, five stand, springing teal, and sporting clays. Trap and Skeet is run on Tuesday nights from 5-9pm, 5-11pm on fridays, trap skeet & five stand on Saturday mornings from 9am - 3pm with Sporting Clays on the third saturday of the month from February - November. These events are open to the public with many other opportunities available to those who become members.

The new facility in Waterman, IL will include 50 foot, 25, 50, 100, 200, and 600Yard rifle/pistol ranges (the berms and lakes have already been constructed) 12 trap and skeet fields, a sporting clays course, fixed distance and 3D archery, and a campground.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I thought ASC had received a variance from Sugar Grove to allow shooting at the present site for a period of time - what has changed?!

Glad to contribute - in the mail,

Jay Spitz

4. freindsofasc

freindsofasc TS Member

To answer your questions, we have 5-6 years left in Sugar Grove before we must transition to Waterman, hopefully sooner. We have already moved all of the dirt at the Waterman facility etc... for our trap, skeet, and rifle/pistol ranges. I refer to the berms as the mountains of Waterman as they are visible from rte 30. The problem is the contracting for the excavation has us in real financial bind and we are now like many people in the current real estate market trying to cover two mortgages until we can complete construction in Waterman and make the move.

We are working on many new initiatives to meet the challenge head on, and there is a great deal of support from a fantastic group of members, and caring people like you.

We truly appreciate your support.

Thanks,
    Matt

5. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Are you allowed to shoot on your rifle or pistol ranges with the pass? Also does this pass provide for free birds or is there a fee involved? Thank you, Rodbuster.

6. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

ummm.... its not free to come on tues. and fri. nights to shoot anymore? i thought those night were open to the public for free. also a suggestion, you should let the game shooters back on tues. nights, they made you guys some good money. not sure why we were kicked out.tim

7. benihonjin

benihonjin TS Member

ASC is a class act. Shot a high power rifle class there to qualify to buy CMP M1's a few years back for a rediculously low price. That class was one of the best I've ever had! Turned into a trap addict since then so I guess I'll have to try out the trap field with my free ticket, It'll be worth the two hour drive! Is Mr.Black still there?

Benihonjin from Laporte

8. obfd13

obfd13 Member

Yes, Mr. Black is still there and doing a great job with the CMP. The first CMP clinic this year is April 29th. Call-in registration is April 19th from 9 to 10 am only. www.aurorasc.org for more info.

Luckyshot, yes those nights are still open to the public for trap and skeet. The original poster stated that in an earlier post. What's a "game shooter" and did you really get kicked out? by who?

9. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

obfd13, this happened a few years ago when i first started shooting annies and protection. we shot on tuesday nights on thr far right trap. i guess it was run by one of the fellas that shoots it. he even used his kid as a trap boy. asc never had to supply a person to run it. well i went out there on a tues night in July to shoot and on the door there was a note saying that they were not going to let us shoot games anymore. the fellas that shot it quite alot told me that the shooters made the club a few thousand bucks ayear, just letting us shoot. no explaination was given to us, why were kicked out. i just went to another club, and kept my mouth shut. would the club be willing to let us shoot annies again in the future ? luckyshot

10. obfd13

obfd13 Member

luckyshot, i will look into it and get back to you.

11. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Matt please send me an email at """fmiller@ptsltd.com""". Drop the "..as you already assumed.

Thanks,
    Forrest

12. freindsofasc

freindsofasc TS Member

I will try to answer the questions posed by a number of you.

rodbuster - with this pass you are entitled to make full use of our facilities either currently available at Sugar Grove, or when we open Waterman. This opens up the use of the club for rifle/pistol, archery, and we are still trying to work out some of the details for the shotgun area... currently I believe it will allow the use of the manual traps but use of skeet requires that our members take a brief orientation session (basically we are still trying to work out the details). On the days when shotgun is open to the public (tues, fri, sat.) there are member prices and non-member prices for birds the current fee is $6 per round for trap and skeet. Hope this helps...

luckyshot - tues/fri nights and saturday mornings are still open to the public for trap etc... with sporting clays on the third saturday of the month. I am not sure of the games but the sporting clays days we do trap, springing teal, sporting clays etc... My suggestion would be to come on out on a saturday if you are available and talk with a member of our shotgun sports department. The chair of the shotgun dept. is John Spann and he is a great guy, and I can't imagine why we couldn't shoot games, I'm new to shotgun shooting what are annies and protection?

Thanks,
    Matt

13. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

14. spitter

Annies are the lineup, shoulder to shoulder, trying to 86 the guy/gal before you who missed their target. Protections are typically a team of two shooters shooting against other pairs of shooters - one shoots, other covers any misses and then you switch off.

any help, Matt?!

Jay

15. freindsofasc

freindsofasc TS Member

I don't see why not as long as everyone on the line agrees to it before hand. I will check with John Spann the head of the shotgun sports department, and get back to you. I know we have done it with springing teal on sporting clays day.

16. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 Member

Game shooters where run out because the club members couldn't compete, there were 12-20 shooters that were non members that made up the 15-25 game shooters that were shooting games. I hope they run out of cash and close the doors!!!! Lived less than 10 min away for 20 years and was always treated as an outsider. Hate to see clubs close but When they treat non members as second class and don't realize that when you drive away one shooter you will probably lose 2 or 3 more, lock the doors. Rumor is thats going to happen anyway. Word around is that they expected thee NRA to help pay for a large portion of they're rifle range but didn't follow NRA requirements and the NRA pulled they're funding. Also when they bought they're Waterman property the didn't look into Zoning and where nearly denied the correct zoning to open a gun club by the county. Looks like they really have some intelegent people running the show maybe this time it will catch up with them. The new location is about about 15 min from where I now live but I'll never go if they ever get it open

Pumpgunner

17. spitter

Pumpgunner,

I can feel your pain, but at 15 minutes away, doesn't that seem like biting off your nose to spite your face?! There can be jerks in any Club/sport, but don't let that deter you from taking advantage of a close-in range to your 20.

Most clubs are not run by professionals and we all make mistakes - I would hate to see a Club with as rich a history as ASC shutter its doors.

Jay

18. freindsofasc

freindsofasc TS Member

Pumpgunner,
    I would have to agree with Jay that there may be jerks in any club/sport, just look at Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, in a group of 1200 members we can't all be perfect. I’m sorry that you have such a negative attitude toward our organization, to say that you “hope we run out of cash and close the doors” seems pretty harsh and just plain mean. We are an organization of volunteers; the only people paid by the club are the trap boys on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday all of our special events and regular activities are run completely by our member volunteers. My experiences at the club as a non-member and now currently a member have been nothing but positive, as a non-member I never felt like a second-class citizen or an outsider. The non-members I shoot with regularly have just as much fun as I do.

I would like to address some of the inaccuracies in your posted statement, first we never expected the NRA to help build the club, we like the NRA, I am an NRA life member but there are many requirements to getting NRA range development grants, and some of those requirements did not make sense for the club. The NRA never offered funding, we never asked for it so there is absolutely no way they could "pull their support."

As for zoning, the challenge really was to define what to zone the facility as, if you pull up Dekalb County building codes there are zoning ordinances for ag (approx. 75% or more of the waterman property is still actively and will remain agricultural), flood plain, residential conservation, business, industrial etc... for gun clubs you have to receive a special use permit, which was awarded. The berms for the rifle/pistol and action sports facilities have been created. The trap, skeet, and sporting clays fields have been graded and built. Zoning was not a significant problem; it just required more paperwork just like any other special application as stated in the Dekalb County Code at http://www.dekalbcounty.org/PDF_INTERNET/Zoning/article4.pdf on page 4.

I will also refrain from commenting on grammar, spelling and punctuation when criticizing someone's “intelligence.”

Thanks,
    Matt

19. bpcr

bpcr TS Member

Hello all:
    I have been a member of this club for a long time now and my grandfather has been a member for over 40 years. It is sad to see that some people have a well founded dislike for the way that they have been treated out there and i personaly do not understand the kicking out of the game shooters. I would like to however say that it was not allways this way. When Len Allman ran the trap it was a real trap club. A shooter could go there a get on and shoot. The place would run over 40 plus squads of shooters and still have time to play games at the end of the night. I known i was working the trap along side him. It is a fine place to shoot and they have more than there fair share of people that need a kick in the pants. But if the Chicago land area looses this it will be one more nail in the coffin for gun ownership in IL. My hope is that some life can be brought back to the place. If you want to change something you have to get involved not just push it aside. If you do that the A hole that pissed you off wins. Please help out if you can and drop by and see the place. Just my 2 cents worth .... Alex Bliss

20. spitter

Alex...

Is your granddad Ralph Bliss? I enjoyed his company many a time at both Naperville and Aurora...

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

len allman aurora il