1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AUCTION WINNER BARRY ROACH MYRTLEWOOD SHOTGUN SET

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr.M, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Had some folks call or write recently and complain because I haven't given anything away in a while on TS.com. Well you know the old saying "Complain and ye shall receive" or something like that. Here goes. White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC is donating the below pictured Myrtlewood 2-piece stock and forend blank to TS.com to be auctioned on TS.com with all proceeds going directly to David for the furtherance of this site. I'll pay the shipping, so there will be no burden for the buyer except writing the check and sending it to David.

This blank is a one-of-a-kind true Exhibition Myrtlewood blank that has been air dried to a metered eleven percent moisture. It is dry and ready to work. The measurements are 18 1/2 inches long, 7 inches tall at the front of the Monte Carlo cut, 4 inches tall at the receiver and a full 2 1/2 inches thick. The blank is a superb quarter sawn piece with absolutely symmetrical stripe, color, and figure from side to side. I call the pattern "Accordion fiddleback" 'cause that's what it looks like to me (I did make that one up). The dark upper color band will finish brown and black and the shadow color band just beneath it will finish with a unique green tint. This blank shows complete coverage of undulating fiddleback shimmer that is characteristic of Myrtle.

If you've had your eye Myrtle but didn't know how to make the first move on her, now's your chance. Here's the rules. I'll open the bidding at $100.00 and David will confirm my payment if I win. The minimum incremental bid is $10.00 over the last bid posted on this thread. Of course higher incremental bids are encouraged, but I don't want to scare everybody out the first day. All bids must be posted on this thread. I will close the bidding at 7 AM Pacific time next Sunday, March 14, 2010 and the high bidder before 7:00 AM Pacific time will be the owner of this blank.

I will access the thread before witnesses at Redlands Trap and Skeet Club where I'll be attending a Double D Shooting Clinic hosted by Dennis DeVault and Dean Debow (little plug there). I'll confirm the winning bidder and the amount of the bid both by email and on this thread and will expect that person to mail a check directly to David van Elgort for the support of TS.com. As soon as David confirms receipt, the blank set will be on the way. I alone reserve the right to heckle, hassle, and cajole in order to jack up the price for this good cause. I'll have the set on display at Redlands so we may see a flurry of bidding on Saturday.

Please email any questions to the address above. I access email at least once a day, but may not get to TS.com every day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, this is not a Photoshopped flip. I put the numbers in different places on the two sides of the blank.

Good luck everybody. Bid often and well.

Mike Mann White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC Your Myrtlewood Source

2. lju

lju Member

Mike, I'll get er rolling, here's $150.

lju

3. radeck

radeck Member

I will bid $250. Great idea. Thank you.

4. Mr.M

OK, guys and gals. $250.00 on day 1 ain't a bad start. I'm going to bump this auction up every day at least once to keep it in everybody's face hoping we'll make some real money for the support of this site.

I know there are more important issues to occupy your time like Vandalia vs. Sparta vs. Cardinal Center and whether or not we'll be forced to shoot new shells at the Grand and then if they'll have 8 1/2 one ounce Rios or we'll be forced to shoot those darn AAs or Federal Papers......................

I know that the donation of one Myrtlewood gunstock blank doesn't in any way rival the donation of $100,000.00, but simply put, this isn't my first and it won't be my last as long as my friends and acquaintances at TS.com bid often and well to support this site. This site and its members are one place where I've never been disappointed at your responses to my auctions. You guys ROCK!!

Keep up the good work and sincere thanks to today's three bidders.

Mike

5. Mr.M

Wow, an entire day without a single bid. Let's see, what story can I dream up today? How about this: The last of the commercial Myrtlewood orchards has just been cut down and it is against the law to plant any more. You better get your bid in on this blank before somebody else gets it.

Truth is that there are no cultivated Myrtles (Bay Laurel in California) and for a wild one to be commercially viable takes between 300 and 600 years. More facts you can't live without tomorrow.

Let's shake the dust off those wallets and resume bidding. Remember that 100% of the proceeds from this auction go directly to David for the support of this site. And as an added extra bonus, you get to stick it to me for the shipping. That's what I call a WIN-WIN.

Bid high and bid often. $10.00 above the last bid is all it takes. Mike

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

7. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

How much to shape it into a stock? =)

8. Mr.M

Barry, Thanks for restoring my faith in wood-hounds and making Tuesday a productive day for TS.com. I appreciate your bid and remind everyone that a $10.00 incremental bid is all that's required. We've got three hundred, do I hear three ten anybody.

Bonzai, hafta give you the old "depends" answer. Not my area of expertise, but I've heard from clients everything from $900.00 to $6500.00 depending on the extent of the work done, the quality of the work and expertise of the fitter, what sort of checkering, etc. Maybe we can get a few of the makers to chime in here and give us some ballpark numbers. I can say with great authority that typically the wood cost is the lesser part of the deal.

Mike Mann

9. Barry C. Roach

I'm assuming all bids must go through TS.com?

10. Mr.M

Barry,

Restatement of the rules below copied directly out of the original post. Yes, all bids must be placed through this thread only. There has been outside interest, but all contacts will be directed to this thread.

Here's the rules. I'll open the bidding at $100.00 and David will confirm my payment if I win. The minimum incremental bid is $10.00 over the last bid posted on this thread. Of course higher incremental bids are encouraged, but I don't want to scare everybody out the first day. All bids must be posted on this thread. I will close the bidding at 7 AM Pacific time next Sunday, March 14, 2010 and the high bidder before 7:00 AM Pacific time will be the owner of this blank.

Thanks for asking,

Mike

11. radeck

radeck Member

I bid $310.

12. Barry C. Roach

13. Mr.M

Radeck and Barry,

Thanks for keeping the flame burning (in an Olympic sense). We're halfway to the wrap-up on Sunday morning. I'm leaving for Redlands tomorrow and my date with destiny, or Dennis and Dean, however you like it. 40 years of competitive (now and then) shooting and I'm finally going to break down and attend a clinic. Can't wait 'till the following weekend for the chain shoot at Sunnyvale. Good people, great food, challenging shooting and 200 doubles closer to my 100,000th ATA doubles target in May.

Keep the bids coming. Remember that this is for the benefit of David and the TS.com site. Bid high and often,

Mike

14. radeck

radeck Member

Mike, if I win this you can deliver it to me up at Sunnyvale on that Saturday 3/20 of the winter chain shoot. And you're right; our cooks make the best eggs benedict around for breakfast. Plus there's always a lunch special.

And because I know a gun this myrtlewood would look fine on... I bid $330.

Reeves D.

15. Mr.M

Reeves,

It would be my pleasure to hand deliver. I'll even bring a bevy of forend blanks for you to chose from. The Eggs Benedict are the reason I keep driving 500 miles to go to Sunnyvale shoots. I keep lying and telling guys that it's the great targets and good company, but one does what one must do. I'll be showing off the "Dead a Pair" trophies for the May doubles marathon that weekend also. Make sure you're up early Sunday morning to keep some wood-hound from snipin' you at the last minute.

Thanks for your bid.

Mike Mann

16. Mr.M

Driving most of today and Friday, so may not be able to heckle and cajole much till tomorrow evening. Looking forward to 70 and sunny at Redlands for a couple days. Stopping in Stockton tonight to visit some shooting friends at the California Indians shoot tomorrow morning.

Keep bidding while I'm driving 'cause the site deserves it.

Mike Mann

17. Barry C. Roach

18. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Lets make it $400
    Tom Lieb

19. Barry C. Roach

20. Mr.M

$410.00 going once, $410.00 goi........................

See you all at 6:59 AM Sunday. Bid high and bid often.

Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.