1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AUCTION FOR TS.com MYRTLEWOOD Kolar69 WINS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr.M, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Been a little while since I auctioned anything for the exclusive benefit of Trapshooters.com. Since my miller Steven and I have sold a blank or two through TS.com, giving back to the site by auctioning some wood occasionally is going to be a regular occurrence. The blank offered here was picked at random from my standing inventory of dry Myrtlewood 2-piece and rifles which numbers over 700. This one is number 553 and measures 20 inches long, 7 7/8 inches tall at the butt, 3 3/4 inches tall at the receiver and a full (dry) 2 5/8 inches thick. Moisture content as measured with a Wagner L 606 is twelve percent on all surfaces.

This blank shows full fiddleback throughout and has the rich golden shimmer that is characteristic of Myrtlewood. It is as close to perfectly quartersawn as a blank can be, ensuring excellent symmetry side to side. There is a patch of small-pin burl in the broadest part of the butt that will add character to the finished stock. A closely matching forend blank will be supplied.

Rules of the auction are simple: All proceeds go to Trapshooters.com. I'll ask the winning bidder to make payment directly to David. White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC will pay for the shipping. Auction begins when this thread appears and ends at midnight PACIFIC Time on Friday, September 3, 2010. The ending time is strategically determined so y'all will still have some money before you head out shooting on the holiday weekend. After the first bid is established, minimum incremental bids will be at least ten dollars over the last posted bid. All bids will be made in this thread. I'll monitor this thread at midnight on Friday and confirm by email to the winning bidder. If that person wants to be identified as the winning bidder, I'll also confirm their identity in this thread. If the winning bidder does not want to be identified, I'll honor that request and they'll be known only to David and me. As soon as the payment is received by David, the blank will ship by ground UPS. If the winning bidder wants the blank shipped outside the Continental United States, I may ask for assistance with the cost.

Any questions, please ask in this thread, by PM or at Whitecrkgunstock@aol.com. Pictures follow:

[​IMG]

One view right side.

[​IMG]

Different angle right side showing complete coverage fiddleback.

[​IMG]

Butt view (can I say that on TS.com?) for all the purists, showing true quartersawn cut on this blank. Side-to-side symmetry is perfect. You can also see the pin burls which show as lighter colored streaks in this view.

[​IMG]

One view left side.

[​IMG]

Second view left side. If you move your head up/down and left/right you can see the fiddleback and shimmer in this blank actually move.

When I figure out how to take and post short videos, the "movement" in these Myrtlewood pieces will be really dramatic. Remember that all proceeds from this auction go directly to support Trapshooters.com. Bid high and bid often.

Mike Mann WHITE CREEK GUNSTOCK BLANKS LLC Your Myrtlewood Source

2. James.c

James.c Member

whats the minimum bid?

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I'll start it with 100.00.

Bob

4. Mr.M

James,

Sorry I didn't set a minimum. Just thought I'd let it take its natural course. Looks like Bob has set the minimum at $100.00. Minimum increment is $10.00.

5. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

125.00 Tom

6. earlsue

earlsue TS Member

$150.00 Don

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

175.oo
    Ed Y

8. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

I want this piece of wood..........Bid $300.00

Dick Gries

9. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Mike, another nice piece of wood. Good seeing you at Martinez last week and glad you got home safely.

Best regards,

Mike Brown
    Brownk80

10. Mr.M

Mike,

First Martinez Club Shoot I've been to since 1978. Had a good time! Used to drive up from San Jose with Mary Ann and Alice and Joe Cascio. First time I had seen the new management in action. Greg's energy and constant attention are the kind of stuff that successful shoots are made of.

Thanks to all the bidders on this blank. I'll move this back to the top every day between now and Friday to make sure everybody gets a chance to show their support for TS.com. I know money's tight, but this is an excellent cause. Where else can we go to talk about guns, cars, women (and men), guns and cars.

Four days to go!!

Mike Mann

11. Mr.M

Three days to go. Buncha bids Monday, no bids Tuesday. Can't wait for Wednesday! Remember, everyone, the full proceeds from this auction go straight to David for the continuation of this great site.

Up for Wednesday. Mike Mann

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hey Mike, all that talk about Martinez got me stirring the memories too. Had I known you were going, I'd have dreamed of joining you. I've been back a couple of times since '79 but I've not seen the current atmosphere yet. What I hear is all good. Maybe someday soon. No trailer any more, however, and motel bills scare the heck out of me. Glad to seeya on here often.....Bob Dodd

13. Mr.M

OK, folks. Two days without another sniff makes me a little worried. I've done my part and I can't bid on my own donation, so it's up to you!! I know times are tight and you're all getting ready to kick off another target year this weekend and if times are tight for you, just imagine poor David sitting in that sweaty little room behind that squinty little monitor trying to make ends meet on TS.com.

Imagine the horror if this great forum didn't exist. We'd all have to go out of doors and maybe - perish the thought - actually talk to real people again. For some of the under-thirties, it might be a first. Let's see, since I used to talk to real people (in person, microphone, telephone) maybe I could start holding clinics all around the country teaching people how to talk again. No jokes though, that kind of thing has a tendency to get knickers in a twist.

Unless you want next month's Trap and Field to be filled with advertisements for Mike Mann's How to Talk to Real People Clinic, let's get bidding on this piece of Myrtlewood.

'Nuff said?

Mike

14. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hello Mike,

For TS.com $ 350.00

Dennis DeVault

15. Mr.M

Thanks Dennis. I've been asked to proxy bid #360.00 on behalf of Kolar69, who can't be as near his computer for the next few days as he wants to be.

Kolar69 bids $360.00. I think I hear David smiling.

Thanks to the lookers. Day and a half to go.

Mike Mann

16. Mr.M

Last time to the top for David and Trapshooters.com. Friday 9/3 at midnight Eastern Time the highest bidder on this thread will be the proud owner of this blank.

Mike Mann

17. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

ttt for a good guy!

18. Mr.M

New ending time!!!! I'm off on a boat tour of the Rogue River and won't be back for the previously announced midnight Eastern time end of this auction. To be fair to everyone, I'm extending the auction close to midnight PACIFIC Time today.

Thanks and good bidding,

Mike Mann

19. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

Since this is it I will up the bid to $ 390.00 to help TS.com. This is a good cause and just trying to help out.

Dennis DeVault

20. Mr.M

Dennis,

Just back from my trip down (up) the Rogue River. Awesome trip with ospreys, eagles, blue herons, and watched a couple 25-30 pound salmon being brought to net along the way.

I have been asked by Kolar69 to proxy bid $400.00 for this blank. As noted above, I had to extend the auction to midnight Pacific Time because of this trip. I never would have made it back in time for midnight Eastern.

I appreciate everyone who has placed bids so far. Dennis, your generosity and support for our sport and the people who play in it is remarkable.

Kolar69 now has the bid at $400.00. 2 hours, 48 minutes to go.

Thanks, Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.