1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATV's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FalconSprint, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

ATV

Looking for a ATV to pull a small trailer for firewood, push some snow, and maybe drag or haul a deer up a pretty steep hill. Found a used 2004 Yamaha Big Bear 400, with low miles in my area. Push button 4WD. Would this have enough power to do what I need? Really don't want one of those 750cc heavy monsters and I have no need to go 50 MPH. Just need something that putts and pulls.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That Big Bear 400 has all the power you'll ever need and then some. The engine and rest of the driveline is nearly indestructable.

ss

3. Robb

Robb Member

Kubota RTV

4. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I should add, 850 miles on it for a 2004, asking price $3400. Fair price, low miles? Thanks F/S.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm sure it will have enough power to do what you want.

The kelly blue book retail value on a 2004 Yamaha 4x4 Big Bear is $2590

Does the quad come with snowplow, winch?

The ASKING price "might" be a little high, but if you like the atv and it is in good shape go ahead and buy it.

Look on "craigslist" under rv or motorcycles and see what they are selling for in your area.

Good luck.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go to Ebay, click on Argo. Some great deals on 8 wheel drive units. You want something to go anywhere in any weather, they are the real deal.

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I have a Polaris Sportsman 400 AWD with a 4 foot plow. More than enough power to move snow! I can't imagine needing anything bigger.

An ATV is also handy around the ranch the rest of the year, too!

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

4wd, fuel ejection, winch are all a must. As for the Argo you better find out if anyone in your area will work or can work on them. You will also have to look at parts being available.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 400 has plenty of power to do what you want. I recently borrowed one of those poly tub trailers designed for ATV use and they really work great for getting firewood. Make sure you get one with a dump bed. Just the ticket for yard cleanup too.

You will probably be suprised just how fast the 400 will run. My 500 Polaris machines will do 50 MpH pretty easily and that is faster than I need to go. An enjoyable cruising speed is more like 35 MpH on these things. If you need bigger and badder then a jeep is a better step up than a monster quad.

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Yamaha is the best!! Hands down...I have owned a Kodiak 400 Liquid cooled for 11 years and it has never failed to start! I am so impressed with Yamaha ATV's I can't say enough...They are the toughest most well designed fault tolerant downright bulletproof machines made..Yamaha!! You And Me Are Hauling Ass!!!!!

11. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Thank's all for your input. I now own it, with a snow plow. With only 850 miles on it, and all dealer service records to back it up, I just could not pass on it. Of course this means it'll never snow in my area again, and I'll probably never see another buck in the woods, but hey, I own it. Thanks again F/S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.