1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATVs why so big?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 9point3, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

WHen I first moved to Alaska we used 200cc atvs to pull our moose from the bog to camp, guys with 250s had big machines and those over 300 had monsters

Now I'm told that a 250 isn't big enough to hunt deer on and I will soon be lookin for a 500cc +

What gives

2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Haven't you ever seen the show "Home Improvement"? LOL

Chuck

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Bigger is better!

What is better?

A big good one?

A good big one?

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think the 'recreation' factor is more popular than the 'utility' requiremnt.

A 500cc is kind of a pup these days - but still more machine than most really need.

5. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

When using for the utility or 4x4 aspect its all gearing nothing todo with HP

6. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

A 250 is kind of like a 4 cyl 4x4 truck. It has enough HP to get you into trouble but not enough to get you out of it.

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

The last ATV I had was an 08' 800cc. Crazy amounts of power. now I see Artic Cat maybe is building a 1000CC machine. Its going to continue to climb untill they dont sell them anymore.

8. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Thought my Big Red 250 is a brute???????

Doyal

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bigger is better. Haven't you seen the commercials of the guys with Cami's, helmets and guns racing up and down mountains sides? Got to get to that deer first!!!!!!

10. C-Money

C-Money Member

I run a 420 Honda Rancher, plenty of power. Hauls me and cargo without issue. The big point for me is I can run a little over 100 miles on a full tank of gas without switching my reserve tank.

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I didn't know that Honda has started putting two gas tanks on their 4-wheelers.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Look at Snowmobiles, Motorcycles, etc. Same thing is happening with Wheeler's. Can't wait for the first 200mph Snowmobile. LOL. To most that would buy it, it is not so much that they want to go 200 mph., it is knowing that their friends, or people that see them riding, are in envy of them owning one.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

So that's why the Fart Czar is so green. Mystery solved.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If your in Alaska you better have the best and maybe the biggist because your life might depend on it.

15. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

When the monsters get stuck, they take 3 men and a mule to get them unstuck, when a monsters roll over on you, they are so big they can hurt you bad.

The Honda 300 4x4 and the Suzuki 250 4x4 were some kick butt machines and we pulled a bunch of moose out with them back in the 90s

16. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Go Big or Go Home!!

17. oz

oz Active Member

I like my UTV better.

18. C-Money

C-Money Member

John Gault, Both of our Honda ATVs have a 3 position valve that you can turn the gas flow to 'Off', 'On' or 'Reserve'. Pretty sure all the gas is stored in the one tank.

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Put a winch on the ATV and it will pull you out of the mud.

20. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

We found that my hunting partner's 800 cc ATV was too big. If you got in tight stuff and hung up, it didn't matter what you did, one guy couldn't get it out. Even with a winch, we couldn't get it off a log he ran onto lengthwise in thick low brush. We had to all three muscle it over to a point where he could reverse off the log. Sidehills were terrifying, due to the height of the center of balance, and the turning radius was ridiculous on it, as well. We agreed when he got rid of it, that if he gets another one, it will be no more than 400 ccs, probably a 300 or 350.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.