1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATV tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Anybody ever change ATV tires? I need a new set of tires for my ATV. Ouch! I wasn't expecting em to cost as much as a set of tires for the truck!

Well anyway after shopping around I can find a decent deal through internet/mail order, but that would mean changing em myself. Just wondering how hard they are to break down, and change? I don't have a tire machine will be doing it all by hand. I really don't want to buy over the net if I have to take em to a local shop and have them change em.

2. Straight50

Straight50 Member

They are tuff to break down Bisi. Especially if they have on quite a while. Take them to a tire store and have them done. You will glad you did!

3. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

In most cases, you can buy tires already mounted on aftermarket wheels cheaper than you can have them mounted. Check it out. Bill

4. buster45

buster45 Active Member

If you watch craig's list and just want tires you can find good buys on take offs with factory wheels cheaper than new tires.

Buster

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I had to get new tired on my Gator this last spring, I shopped all over, even had a "buddy" that was going to make me a super deal as he was a tire wholesaler

Then I went to Discount tire, they beat everybody's price and free mounting, and I filled out the tax for for farm exempt and even saved that

You might want to give them a call, they were able to get exact replacements

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like they are a b___h to break down if you don't have a machine.

Catpower, thanks. I didn't think about Discount Tire, I'll try them. Last time I purchased new tires for the F250, I got em from them. I ended up with new wheels and tires from them cheaper than most places just wanted for the tires.

7. high 2

high 2 Member

Something I've done in the past is to let the air out and run them flat. You'll get em off the bead. Make sure you're on soft ground so you don't damage the wheels. It worked for me. Larry

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No sweat, shop and buy the tires online and then take them to your local tire shop and pay them to do the mounting job. It will probably cost you $15 per tire but so what, you would have to pay that if you bought the tires at their shop anyway. Don't mess around trying to do this without the right tools, you will do more damage to both you and the tire.

Don't feel bad or think you are cheatiing those guys out of anything - you aren't. What you are doing is paying them a fair amount for the work they will do for you.

I use Les Scwabb for this and I have three quads so it is nearly an annual event. I also have Les repair any tire punctures that I can't handle with my plug kit. Same deal - I pay them a fair rate.