1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attractions in Washington DC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Am in washington dc for the week with a buddy of mine (last minute poorly planned road trip LOL).

Saw the museums of american and natural history, and air & space, yesterday. Will go to the NRA museum today.

Any other suggestions? Any good gun shops in the area? I'm staying in alexandria.

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

gunshops: Virginia Arms in Manassas...they don't have any sporting shotguns, mostly tactical rifles, shotguns, and handguns. They have a large selection.

There is no real sporting shotgun gunshop around in the DC area. Greentop near Richmond, VA is as close as you get (about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive, depending on traffic) and ther selection is regulated to mostly Browning, Beretta, and Benelli.

I recommend Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington if you want to taste one of the finest burgers around.

I would recommend to go see Mt. Vernon, a quick drive from where you are, but only if the weather is nice (it is suppose to rain this week). The National Mall is always nice, with the Vietnam Vet and WWII memorials. Another site to see is Arlington Cemetary with the changing of the guard.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Any good place for deals on reloading supplies in the area?

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Take the ride out to Bull Run Battlefield.

My friends in the DC metro buy their reloading supplies at PG Shooting Center. Not sure if their prices compare well to what you'll find closer to home, but it might be worth a stop on the way home. They also talk about Barts World for guns. The may buy their new ammo there too. That might be closer to Baltimore. Dunno if it will be close to your path on the trip home.

5. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

You are kidding right? The whole city is an attraction.

Library of Congress, Union Station, National Art Gallery, war memorials too numerous to mention. National Geo museum, the list goes on. Take a 'duck' tour on the river, take one or several of the many tours offered outside the train station. Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial at night, watch them make money, National Archives...

They sell the same guns in Virginia that they sell back home...

Be a tourist, see the history of our county.

6. ChetH

ChetH Member

The Museum of the American Indian, on the Mall between the Air and Space and the Capital, has the best lunch in town. The salmon is wonderful. Last time I was there I had Elk prime rib. Not to be missed.

chet

7. pdq

pdq Member

When in DC, I make a point of going to the Circus.

Easy to do -- go visit your Congressman.

Pete

8. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I think the second part of the Air and Space museum is in Virginia. The "Udvar-Hagy" building I think. There used to be a shuttle to it from the Air and Space museum for 2 bucks but they shut it down. It was probably too efficient. I missed that building and regret it. Supposed to have many much larger displays such as the SR-71 Blackbird which is my favorite plane of all time.

Agree with trying to see changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It is quite an honor to do your stint there and you can see the soldiers family brought up front and to the right so they can watch and photograph the transition. At least I think they can photograph it. It is very solemn and takes awhile so make sure it's good weather outside. There is a subway that takes you right to Arlington Cemetary so it's an easy ride.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Hardage: that's out near Dulles Airport.....the "other" Air and Space exhibit....

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ian, try to see the Holocaust museum if you can. I second the memorials....Jefferson at night is a sight to remember. Arlington Cemetery is hauntingly beautiful. Visit the Viet Nam war memorial.

If you get the chance to visit Prince George's Trap and Skeet, that's where I got my start. They have a pro shop that sells Berettas and they have reloading supplies. Say hi to Mark Biggins, the manager, for me. It's a nice club that is located right next to NASA Goddard. You can take a tour there, too.

Stay safe and have fun.

11. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

See Abe Lincolns Henry Rifle in the National Museum of American History Catalog number 67880M. Visit my Dad at Arlington National and say a Prayer.
    Have Fun! Scott

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Smithsonian.

13. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

The George Washington National Masonic Memorial is very interesting. Particularly if you are a member of the Masonic Fraternity.

Allen

14. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Go see the Marine Core Museum and make sure to take a guided tour. It's guided by Marine veterans and it will be a moving experience. I lived in D.C for four years and it was my favorite museum by far.

Hope you enjoy your visit, D.C is a wonderful city.

15. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

should have mentioned the Marine Core museum is at Quantico, which is only a short drive from D.C. It's well worth it.

16. setool

setool Member

God, Please take care of our Vet's... My Dad's not with us, but (Calvary Cemetary), full cover Navy Buriel, Dayton, Ohio.

When I was a kid ( 9 or 10), my Parents took me to Mt. Vernon, Thomas Jefferson Monticello, and our last stop was at J.F.K Buriel site... The flame that will continue forever !!!

These memories will live forever in my Heart !!

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Mark Schneider

17. cafowler

cafowler Member

Lot's of good recommendations above;
    - The Bull Run Shooting Center is just a few miles down the road from NRA museum/HQ. Since you're heading that way, go a bit farther and shoot some. Real nice County shooting complex.
    - Marine Corps Museum is a bit south of Alexandria and worth the time. Not just Corps history, but american history. I think one of the best museums to visit.
    - The National Portrait Gallery is just outside the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro station, above the Verizon Center. The photo's and info under each photo tell the history of America. Takes some time to go thru there, but probably my favorite place to visit. The building was a hospital during the civil war, Lincoln visited. Now it's used to tell the history of America thru photo's.
    - The Archives to see the Constitution and Decleration of Indpendance, ofcourse.
    - Lincoln Memorial at night. As you walk up the steps, it's impressive as hell. You can read the emancipation proclamation to yourself. It's amazing how many people are there at 11pm.
    - The ride up into the Washington monument shouldn't be very crowded this time of year. Get there when they open to get a ticket. You can walk down the stairs inside and see all the art and get a history lesson about when the monument was built from a Park Ranger.
    - Go for a drive east on Hwy 50, over the bridge at Annapolis, head south at the Y for a couple miles, hang a right on a small country road, and shoot a round of Sporting clays at Pintail Point, one of the nicest places to shoot in the Country. Cross over to the "dark side", make a day of it, and go 15 min's NE and shoot another round at Schraders, head N 1/2 hr and shoot another at Hopkins. These 3 clubs within 1/2 Hr drive of another makes for some really nice sporting clays shooting.

Enjoy your trip.

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If you go to Arlington Cemetery be sure to climb the hill and visit Arlington House, the home of Robert E Lee. Arlington was made into a cemetery to prevent him from regaining control of his property after the Civil War ended.

The view from the library on the second floor under the Greek arch is spectacular.

After you visit Arlington house, you understand more of what Robert E Lee gave up to fight for his beloved Virginia.

Ed Ward

19. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

give yourself time in your schedule for traffic, if you visit any sites that are off of the Metro rail lines....I have found 103.5 (WTOP) a good station to get traffic updates (every 8 minutes). one little fender bender will tie up traffic for miles around here

20. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

For several years I did a lot of traveling to DC as part of my job, and did some sightseeing while there. I always found the Vietnam Memorial moving, perhaps because it was the war of my generation. I found the Holocaust Museum to be impressive. I thought the Museum of the American Indian was the most blatantly politicized piece of work I have seen, and not worth the price of admission (like all the Smithsonian museums, admission is free). The National Zoo is well worth the time if the weather is nice.

While you're there, buy the daily Metro passes - it's the way to get around the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.