1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attn: SX-1 Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quick403b, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quick403b

quick403b TS Member

I want some feedback from you SX-1 fans/shooters. I noticed there are a few extended charging handles for most of the new semiauto guns (Beretta, Browning, and Rem.). However, I haven't come across one for the SX-1. I am looking into having a prototype made that is about 1" longer than the original and cylindrical in shape - tapering in the middle. I'd like to know:

1)Is there is any interest in this out there?
    and if so,

2) What price would you be willing to pay for it?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Scott

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Most applications for these are tactical. I don't know how many tactical SX-1s are out there. I don't have a use for one myself and I own 5 SX-1s. Mark

3. quick403b

quick403b TS Member

I appreciate your input, but I have seen many extended charging handles on clays guns. I had one on a Beretta 390 Sport myself that def wasn't tactical. The longer handle gives you a better grip and is a little easier on the fingers.

Thanks for the input tho.

Scott

4. shaggist

shaggist Member

Maybe the clays guys use 2 fingers to retract the bolt. The factory bolt handle on my SX-1 seems to do the job just fine. Something to think about is the additional weight such a handle would add to the bolt and what effects it might have over the long term. Jack

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I load the first shell through the ejection port, close the bolt and load the second shell. Shoot two and bolt locks open. Repeat. I rarely touch the bolt handle. Once, when I take it out of the case, and maybe again when I clean the gun. Mark

6. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

I've shot SX-1's since 1975 and never noticed I needed anything different for a bolt handle. Thanks. Harry D.

7. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Most X-1 shooters tend to be "old school" folks who would see little use in an extended handle (unlike most 391 shooters)....I don't think some of these guys know about extended handles judging from some comments....maybe they need to go to the Briley website and look at what 391 owners put on their guns...bolt closers, extended handles and magazine caps, etc.

I would look at one if the price is comparable to what Briley asks for theirs...

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A problem with Super Xs is that the bolt handle can fly out and get lost unless the groove is deepened. That makes it necessary sometimes to use padded pliers to remove it. The last thing needed is more "mass" in a SX-1 bolt handle to encourage it flying out.

9. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Ditto what Bangalore said.

Brad

10. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I wish there was an extended bolt release. Bolt handle not a problem.

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I use extended bolt handles on all my autos so much easier on the finger I also use extended bolt closers for the same reason. Put me down for one if you make them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

You would have better luck making a shell catcher like T&S Than a bolt handle ext. for the BSX-1.Bill

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Look.. Nobody "Needs" an extended bolt handle unless they have a medical condition that affects the hands. Need has seldom been the reason for many guys buying anything. I had one of those extra long bolt handles on a Beretta and it was pretty slick but I sure as hell didn't need it. It was nice to have though.

I suspect I wouldn't be a buyer at this time but maybe when my hands get old and weak.Jeff

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Extended bolt handles are desireable if you shoot a release trigger, because except for the Remington 1100 with the converted 870 release, you have to reach over with your left hand to pull back the bolt in order to reset the release.
    I have always used one on my 391's.

Though SX-1's have a devoted following, there really aren't that many being used for either trap or sporting clays. If you can make them individually without much set-up cost, it might be worthwhile.

15. Berettasskeeter

Berettasskeeter Member

I am interested if only for modern look. A better fix is an appliance to allow loading without pressing the bolt release. I am willing to pay what Briley charges for theirs as long as it loks as good.
    John

16. quick403b

quick403b TS Member

Thanks for the input guys. The design will have the deeper groove and I'm looking at an lighter weight alloy to make the mass similar or less than the original. If/when I get it done, I'll let y'all know.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.