1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attn: Shotmakers-how do you.......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by powderburn, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey All,
    I'm starting to slowly acquire some tire weights, and wanted to know if there is a faster way to process the lead into ingots-well, faster than using those little Lee production pots? Any suggestions? Thanks for all responses! -powderburn

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use a propain roofing torch and place it under an old dutch oven, it melts very fast this way.

tony

3. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I use a 110# propane bottle with 2 turkey fryers going simulatnisously. As stated about a 100# per hour and with both burners 200 but still seems like it takes forever.

4. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I use a coleman stove and an aluminum pot used for cookin in the kitchen.

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Use a muffin tin for your ingots. A little more than twice the weight so less than half the pouring. We use a turkey fryer and a 6 quart cast iron dutch oven made in China from Harbor Feight. Cost less that $12 on sale for the pot. You can melt several hundred pounds of weights on a 20 pounder. You do not need to run the burner balls out. You are just wasting fuel. Once the lead starts to melt, back off on the heat a little. The trick is to leave a good half inch of lead in the pot after you pour. It starts the next batch melting a whole lot faster. I don't like pouring much more than 50 pounds at once so I usually get about 20 muffin tin ingots per pour with about 10# left in the pot for the next melt.

Jeff

6. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i use a camp chef 2 burner(30,000btu/burner)i got at dicks for $99.(i got tired of bending over a turkey fryer)its 36 inches tall,frame is made of tubular metal,nice&strong,i use 2- 8 qt harbor freight cast iron dutch ovens & get 200 lbs of ingots per hr.and the stove is rock solid with that mutch weight on it.mark

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

In melting wheel weights do the clips and junk float to the top or do you have to strain the lead in some manner?

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ajax thanks. Another question, how do you flux and what does it do? Any other good tips to pass on?

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I use Marvelux from Brownells. It soes not smoke as bad as many of the tried and true fluxes like beeswax. It works great.

Jeff

11. Deacon Stone

Deacon Stone TS Member

Old candles work great. Most churchs have candles that have been used that are not good anymore. It will cause a big flame but not to worry. Let it burn out and mix with a long spoon with holes. I also do alot of wood working and use real fine saw dust that works just as well.

Deacon Stone

12. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I made a little tutorial on ingot making with pictures included. It shows how the melting process works and how easy it can be, to view this thread click here.
    Josh

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Can you use wheel weights alone or do they need to be alloyed with any other metals to regulate hardness and density. I bought some of this home made stuff a guy made and claimed it was wheel weights. Looked great but a 1 1/8 oz bushing was just pushing slightly more than 1 oz what gives?

Joe Goldberg

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Ok does that mean the pellits fly faster or slower. should I use a #7 in place of a # 7 1/2 what are you giving up? Is steel shot cheaper than lead at the present costs? How does the density of the wheel weights compair to magnum shot and to steel? Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.