1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Today I went to see my local FFL (Mike) to do the paperwork on a new Glock 19 I bought from an out-of-state dealer. After filling out the 4473, I got up to leave and said " I'll see you in 3 days ".

Mike said "Hold on a minute and you can take it with you today." He disappeared into his office for about 5 minutes and came back and said "Go ahead and take it with you".

I said " Mike, what about the 72 hour wait period?"

He proceeded to tell me a story I won't take up space with here, but suffice it to say that Mike had a recent customer who said the way the IL State Police was interpreting the law was wrong. According to this gentleman the wait period, as the law is written, is supposed to apply from the day you purchase a firearm, which may or may not be the day you fill out the 4473. In the case of the pistol I picked up today, the seller's receipt is dated Jan 23, 2013 and the gun was shipped to Mike that same day. Today being Jan 26, 2013 the 72 hour wait period was up today, so I got to take the gun home with me today, after Mike ran the obligatory background check.

For most in-state purchases, this will make no difference, but for those of us purchasing out-of-state and having them shipped to an Illinois FFL, the new rule interpretation applies.

Apparently, the customer who raised this issue contacted some folks he knew in Springfield, who then went to the State Police and pointed out the correct application of the law. Also, according to Mike, the new interpretation is posted somewhere on the Illinois State Police website, although I could not find it. That means that all FFLs in Illinois should be aware of it.

So, good news for those of us who buy out-of-state. Usually, no sales tax and the shipping time counts against the wait period. I will now make sure that the seller of any gun I buy includes a dated sales receipt.

Just thought my fellow Illinois shooters would like to know about this. Pass it along to your fellow shooters, and make sure your FFL is aware of it.

Gene in Illinois
  2. archangel

archangel Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I had a dealer tell me the same thing. Very confusing -Mike
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)

He is right although many dealers won't do it. I too have purchased the same way.

Have fun with your new toy. If I'd have had the money, I would have bought the Kahr's you were selling.
  4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    I spoke to two FFLs... the interpretation given to both as relayed to me is that the 3-Day wait begins with the time/date of the 4473...

A day here or there wont matter to me... but an expert opinion from the ATF would be better appreciated...

5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nov 11, 2010
    About 40 miles west of Chicago, IL
    I am a FFL holder and I have 'heard' this before, but not seen it in writing. In the past year I have had extremely poor response from the Illinois system for background checks. Most often I must wait for a follow up call or email from the State Police which usually arrives about a day later, except on weekends. While Gene's comments are likely valid (I have THOUGHT that way for years as well ), the actuality of life in Illinois makes it more risky for me - unless I KNOW the buyer. Even then, it still seems prudent to be as conservative/rigid as I can.

I don't think now is a good time to APPEAR to be softening the requirements for interstate transfers. Until I have written directions to change I will continue the additional wait time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.