Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attn: Caesar Guerini Owners/ Rib Adjustments

9K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  AveragEd 
#1 ·
Caesar Guerini owners I just patterned my Un-single Bbl again and What I found out is each line on the rib adjustment makes 2 inches difference in Pattern height, I was expiermenting w/adjustments and this is what I found out.

I raised the rib 1 notch at a time patterning 1 shell at a time from a bench rest at 39 Yards to determine the POI of each adjustment.

Shot new AA Heavy 7 1/2s shells the Red Ones.

This is only for CG owners, this is the results of what I obtained.

On your CG you do not need to change the comb adjustments, as the sight picture remains the same, you are only positioning the Bbl.

Other guns the rib Pivots in the middle and you must change the comb.

This is a nice feature on the CG.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

See less See more
#2 ·
Gary,

Interesting observations, how many notches does the rib have and what percentages does it shoot from least to the maximum ..? I have looked at the CG guns and they appear to be of respectable quaility for the money, have not ventured into one as of yet but you never know, you know ..? I have come to the conclusion that if it says JC Higgins on it and you can break targets with it, thats all that really matters ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#3 ·
Gary, after all this fiddling with your CG you have become a rocket scientist. LOL

Or in most cases, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out without going to the patterning board.

On a side note. You could have saved yourself some steps by only going out 13 yrds.

#4 ·
Well Gary here is my disagreement...........I own two CG Summits and I don't know what you would ever see at 39 yards with one shell, I always POI at 13yds w/ full choke.

2nd, Really no change to your sight picture?? When adjusting the rib? Simple logic would tell one, if you move the front bead up or down leaving the comb set the same the stacking of beads or the sight picture has to change simple trigonometry proves that wrong!

3rd I set my gun up the way Phil Kiner explains it and moving the comb up changes the sight picture and raises the POI, on paper and on the range.

#6 ·
I did, Rob. As a result, I think you are right, though I thought chip was right when I read his too . . .

That's why the only solution to all of this is to try it and see, as Gary has. Though I would have more faith in the resulting data if it had been generated with way, way more shots and closer too, of course.

Neil

#8 ·
WNCrob where you addressing me and my post?? If you are a CG Summit's Rib pivots from the back. So as you lower the front the bead stack would get tighter and as you raise it up the bead stack gets looser. But then when you adjust the comb to get back your desire bead stack/sight picture it will raise or lower the point of impact.

#11 ·
Chipmaker...it depends. If you mount the gun on a static frame so that the forend and buttstock can't move, and then move the rib, yes, the sight configuration will change...but that's not how it is in actual shooting. If the gun is held by hand and mounted on your shoulder, adjust the rib, and them "aim" the gun, like a rifle, the relative sight configuration will remain the same as the front hand will lower or raise the forend to compensate, and the gun's poi will raise or lower accordingly. It would seem to me that a comb should need adjusting only to change the poi on a fixed rib gun or on an adjustable ribbed gun that adjusts both front & rear (e.g. Perazzi) or rear-only.

Interesting thread.

WNCRob

#12 ·
I much prefer to make my POI adjustments with the comb and only moved the rib from the center of its adjustment range one time to fine-tune the POI after I shot the gun for a while. Now I treat it like a fixed rib just as I treat my choke tubes as a fixed choke once I find the one I like best.

Just because a gun is adjustble does not mean you have to continually adjust it. Adjustability is a feature designed to get the gun shooting where you want and should be forgotten about once you get it there.

Ed

#15 ·
Some time ago, I decided that my next Trap gun would have an adjustable rib. I've since learned that, FOR ME, an adjustable rib is not helping me and only adds a level of complication. Yes, I can get my rib to do what I want, but it's just easier to do without.

My next Trap gun(s) will have a fixed rib and hopefully a fixed choke.

By the way, if you move the rib and don't move the comb, your sight picture will change and it doesn't matter where the pivot point is.

#17 ·
I made some suggestions on this subject a while ago; here's a summary that I put at the bottom of the thread:

"Set the trap to throw straight-aways, set the rib to hit them, set the comb to be comfortable when the beads are lined up. The whole process takes me about 30 - 45 minutes (including the time to set up the trap machine), and I rarely have to make subsequent adjustments."

The central point here is that your face is not made out of store, it's pretty elastic. You can move around on the comb and vary the sight picture without a lot of difficulty. So what I do is set the rib to hit the targets, then set the comb so that when I get the sight picture I want my face feels comfortable on the comb. It works quite well for me.

And FWIW, I think anyone who adjusts the comb to change the POI MUST have changed the sight picture, i.e., move the comb up, and you're going to see more rib between the beads. Gotta be. If you can't adjust the rib, that's the only way to go - adjust the comb and get used to the new sight picture.

But if you have an adjustable rib, you can use the sight picture to ensure that you have the gun mounted correctly, then fire away when the bird appears in the correct relationship with the business end of the gun. (Note that I didn't say "when the bird has the correct relationship with the front bead." By the time I'm looking for the target, I'm done looking at the bead.

Ted K.

#19 ·
Ted, your method is flawed. If you set the rib where the targets break well and then adjust the comb for any reason, your gun no longer shoots where it did after you set the rib. Any time you move the comb, you move the rear sight (your eye) and that moves the POI.

Yes, when you move the comb up, you will see rib between the beads - but who looks at the rib? Your brain has to know where the front sight and the target are; nothing else matters. The only people who foresee a problem with a gap between the beads have never shot their gun for 100 targets or so like that. Most shooters find it much nicer when the receiver is down out of my line of sight a little but some folks feel the world's gone all wrong unless they have a figure-8 sight picture.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.