1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Atterbury Shooting Range to Reopen under IDNR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Atterburyshootin, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atterburyshootin

Atterburyshootin TS Member

http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/49564.htm

For immediate release: Jan 04, 2010
    Posted by: [IDNR]

Weekends only at Atterbury public shooting range

The Atterbury public shooting range is now only open on weekends. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays, and noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays.

Atterbury is currently seeking a new concessionaire to run the range. Until the role is filled, DNR property personnel and volunteers are conducting weekend operations.

Established fees remain the same. The hourly rate on the rifle-pistol range is $7 for the first hour, and $5 for each additional hour. A round of trap or skeet on the shotgun range is $6 per round. Existing annual passes are being honored.

Cash or checks, with proper identification, are accepted. Credit and debit cards are not accepted.

There are no concessions (merchandise, soft drinks, etc.) at this time.

Phone: (812) 526-6552 or (812) 526-2051

2. Atterburyshootin

3. Atterburyshootin

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

$6.00 a round for trap practice. The $50,000 SUV,s will not come. Market price should be evaluated, then you make sure you can match it and make a profit. I have shot in 20 states and found some fluctuation but $6 a round in Indiana is not going to bring in too many shooters. Most places are in the $4-$5 range while I have paid $3.50 lately. Of course, I paid $5. at Vandalia and got a new box of shells with the practice ticket, a loooong time ago.

5. Atterburyshootin

Thanks for the bump. I will make sure your remarks are forwarded to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. If you would like, you may want send your comments directly to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

Please go to our Website at http://www.in.gov/dnr/

Again, thank you.

6. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

This range was built with Pittman-Robinson funds and was a disaster for the shooting community. Once, we shooters had a free open range at Atterbury that was just fine to shoot our handguns and rifles. Mitch Daniels decided we needed "better," and he destroyed our old range and built the new Atterbury monstrosity with supposedly "free" money, then allowed Mason to crank the fees from $7 a day to a $15 minimum, within about a month, after he got his press release out of the reopening. The new range was much louder and much more unfriendly, being run by range Nazis with a loudspeaker.

The old Atterbury range was full of shooters, while nobody uses the new range.

The new range is an answer to a question nobody asked. If you're going to do shooters a favor, Mitch, leave us alone. The ranges we have are fine. Please don't "improve" any more.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I love that the clubhouse was designed by an architect in NY City. No kitchen and not much of a gathering area. Even with those shortfalls, the shooters would support it if the prices were in line with surrounding clubs. It is a great place to shoot trap and I'm sure, skeet.

8. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME. until they figure they are paying way to much per round as other clubs are charging half the price and no membership fee..

9. indycamster

indycamster Member

6 bucks a practice round even when my tax dollars support the place? I will shoot at the many private clubs in the area at 4 bucks....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting skeet alone at camp atterbury