1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attention Shotgun Blank Retailers and Stock Makers

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by DTrykow, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Hi Everyone: I'll get right to the point. I'm looking for a custom Left-handed stock for my Benelli. Sounds easy. But 15 years of searching has proven fruitless. As you can see below I had my LH Benelli Montifeltro engraved by David Wade Harris out in Texas. The trouble is trying to find or have made a custom stock to match the engraving. Issue is the wieght. The Benelli stock that came with the gun is 14oz plus, really hollowed out inside, 5oz for the recoil pad. When I approached Weing to build a custom stock he politely said no, that a dense/heavy figured wood over 14oz would turn this gun into a single shot. I left it at that. This year I was browsing the Benelli site and up for sale was an Executive grade stock and forend. Bought it. Not knowing any specs. They didn't list any. Sure enough it's RH cast etc. No good. So I'm looking for a wood that's light enough but figured to work with this gun. Anyone out there???? Mike Mann?? I would sell the Executive grade wood and put that $$$ towards the new one. Thanks, Dave T.
    dtrykow_2008_030314.jpg

dtrykow_2008_030315.jpg

dtrykow_2008_030316.jpg

dtrykow_2008_030317.jpg

2. esetter

esetter Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

If you like the plain stock send it out and have it grained. You will be surprised how they can make that plain stock look.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Can't you add some weight to the forend to counter the stock weight and balance it out? Lead tape, or a Graco weight?

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I do not understand how a heavy stock will prevent a inertial operated auto from cycling. I can see problems if you don't shoulder it firmly, but stock weight...just doesn't make sense to me.

By the by, the exec stock is fabulous looking wood...really beautiful.

Good luck, mate.

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

It is true if you put too much weight on the inertia locked guns they won't function. They depend on the gun moving under recoil to allow the rollers to unlock, slow down the recoil and they don't unlock.

6. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

David,

Call me. I want to be sure that I know exactly what you're looking for, then we'll find it. Cell 541-441-6222 leave a message and I'll call you.

Mike Mann

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

8. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Hello Dave,

Over the years we have stocked a dozen or more Benelli Shotguns. Of the twelve that we did 4 turned into single shots. When the wood is dense it will not allow the enertia system to eject the light loads. The only way we got the gun to functions was to shoot 3-1/2" or real heavy 3" shells. I would not do this for the customer but he did take one of the guns and cut coils off of the recoil spring in the back tube. He got it to function but later in years sold the gun to another person. The previous owner did not tell the guy he had cut the spring and sure enough the new guy took it hunting and with the 3-1/2" loads it cracked the receiver and broke the stock. I got a letter from an attorney wanting to sue us for the damage but it was documented that we did not alter the recoil part of the gun and the suit was dropped. So yes there is a chance that the gun with dense wood will become a single shot. We can do many things but alterting the original specs. of a factory gun is not one of them. Too many folks always want to blame someone else for the problem and then we have lawyers. Hope that this helps.

Dennis DeVault

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Thanks guys, I would never have expected the weight (actually, the inertia) of a heavy stock to impact cycling. Live and learn.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.