1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attention Reloaders!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Ok I got your attention. What is everyone's secret for boxing shells? Kids do it? Wife help? I have found the the kids have friends over and they think it fun for a flat or two but after that they need new friends.

Corey

2. psfive

psfive Member

I do it myself just part of the process. I use an EZ stack or whatever it is called. Paul in Nebraska.

3. philk

philk Member

As part of my boxing shells routine is a good visual inspection of the shells, I just wouldn`t trust anybody else to do it, certainly not kids.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I use a couple of the gizmos by MEC that make packing shells easy. As I'm stacking them I check the primer seating and crimps as well as quickly look to see if any flaws jump out at me.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My 18yr old and i both box them. We use that time to double check the crimps,nprimers and check for any bulges. He shoots almost half the shells so its a part he can help with. I trust his eye as good as mine.

6. BD457

BD457 Member

You're supposed to box 'em?

7. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

When you are ready for the grandkids to go home ask them to help you out. Mine have learned that grandpa's idea of a good time is entirely different than theirs!Only a matter of seconds and they are texting Mom to come pick them up!!!

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I can't wait to try my 5 month olds hand at loading with me. She don't have a clue what she's in for. My wife used to reload with her Dad so I figured I'd keep it a family tradition.

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

My wife is great at boxing shells and has a good eye for any inconsistencies.

10. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I bucket them. One less step.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Bucket-O'-Bullets

12. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i like the bulk pack method,5 gal bucket...

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used to just throw them in a box or bucket but 30 years later I found I did not know what was in them due to changing loads over the years many times. I had over 500 I cut up using the "UNLOADER" Now I use the Mec EZ Pack. I box them in the nice Federal boxes that MIA sends me along with the paper hulls, add a sticker ( mailing label) with all the details and now I always know what I have

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I wouldn't recommend this as a to do it my way, but I box them on the way to shoots. Figure if everyone else on the highway can text, I can do something I enjoy.

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I usually load 500 shells at a session. They come off the MEC 9000G into a red MEC tray and I usually end up with several MEC trays full.

I inspect each shell and put any shell with a poor crimp, split mouth or other deformity into a practice bucket. Shells in the practice bucket are not boxed and are discarded after firing.

I then box the good shells in the same brand of box as the manufacturer, attach computer printed labels and put the boxes into flats.

Funny thing about the practice bucket. It seems that a lot of 25 straights hide in that bucket.

I remember back in he 1980's when I shot just one load and all paper Federals. Some of the shells with poor crimps, holes in the tube just above the brass and other deformities seemed to break targets at unreal distances. They were loaded with a Federal primer, 12C1 wad, 18.5 grains of 700X and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot. Some would separate the brass head from the paper tube upon firing but the more ragged they looked, the better they would break targets.

Ed Ward

16. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Call me an old stick in the mud,but I never really have seen much use for a Mec e-z pac.The time spent stacking the thing full is the same as loading a box.Then you still have to fill the box.I have one but always have thought I wouldn`t give the damn thing to someone I didn`t like...KS-OKIE

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

EZ-Pack, Just part of my system. Shoot them, sort them, load them, box them, shoot them, it never ends.

18. 20yard

20yard TS Member

MEC EZ-Pack is the way to go, but I like to load with son or wife makes it alot easier with 2 people.

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

EZ-PAK's are a waste of time and money. I can load a shell box faster without one.

I use the 5 gallon bucket method for bulk storage and cover the top with a circle of cardboard with load data on it. I then box up as needed for the days shooting activities.

ss

20. ljutic 111

ljutic 111 TS Member

I use 4 EZ packs - 3 red and 1 black - black is for the bad crimped shells to throw away . I box every shell from my 366 and mark each box which are mostly all the same load anymore . My grandkids - 8 yr old boy and 11 yr old girl can't wait to come down and help me and they do everything from start to finish while sitting on my lap supervising . Can't say they ever made one mistake . Both are waiting for the day I can take them shooting . I do all the 20 ga reloading on a Mec 650 .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.