1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTENTION N.OHIOAN SHOOTERS

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Coach'sWorry, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

Sportsmen's Gun and Reel in Lorain, Ohio has been experienceing low attendence for our winter leagues and calcuttas. We realize that some have inadvertently coincided with other shoots in the area, and are not in question of the low attendence on those days. We are however in question of what deters shooters on the other Saturdays. In order for us to begin striding for excellence we need your suggestion on improvements and currect affairs that deter you from participating in these shoots. To provide a better environment we need your suggestions to not only take to the board, but to also improve the overall atmosphere at the club for you and other shooters. Being that this is an annonymous forum no names and opinions will be link to each other, or singled out.

Without your input we will be unable to correct the current situations that are causing the low attendence.

2. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

im pretty sure certain members of the management keep people away. those certain people keep me away most of the time.

3. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

^^^Thank you for your input

It says next too the number of posts how many people have looked at it, and this reads 125, please comment/message us with ANY suggestion you have.

4. trapat

trapat TS Member

The shoot management at SG&R needs to treat the shooters (customers) like they are important and like they would like them to return. If they would do that the attendance would improve. In addition, the shoots need to be planned in advance,started on time, properly staffed,(scorers ready and traps loaded) and advertised. With TS.com advertising is no problem and it's free. You could also keep up your website so shooters know what is going on at the club.

The above recommendations apply to all shoots, not just the calcuttas. Pat Christopher

5. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I have always found the shoots at Sportsmen to be a good time. Will admit to cutting back some on my shooting, 2009 has had it's challenges. Yes there are some personalities which could be more friendly, but hey,,,,, I'm not in the best mood most of the time as well. When at the Sportsmen club, I always seek out those which I find fun to be around and speak with, dont we all?

For me its simply the drive to the club. I live just a few miles south of Toledo, and after driving usually over 1000-miles each week to call on customers, I'm looking to take a break.

Sportsmen club is a very challenging background for us trapshooter, and I've felt shooting here, helps toughen me up for shoots down the road. No matter how little the croud is at this club, you will always find darn good competition here.

Matt Nicol

6. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

TTT

we realize that alot of people have viewed this, but we really need your imput as well, and thank you to all who have given their suggestions and imput.

7. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

I agree with with pat 100% the people that run that place do not treat the shooters very well. I've saw that person run people off and say you can't shoot anymore when there was plenty of time left before closing several times. I may not have a college degree but I don't think that's how you run a business. its pretty sad that I know of three people that work in the same building as me that will not go back because of this person, and im sure there's a lot more people that have the same feelings. if it wasn't five minutes from my house I wouldn't go back.

another thing is the place is understaffed.there is a total of two people there keeping score and filling houses. what happens if a big crowd shows up? it probably would take all day and then some and im sure some people wouldn't come back because of that.

the voice releases just don't work plain and simple its very hard to shoot when get slow pulls or no birds constantly from a voice release.

it just doesn't seem like anyone there has a clue how to run a shoot. there's people running around talking and screwing off when there is susposed to be a shoot happening. starting on time never happens. it is very poorly advertised the club doesn't even send out news letters to the members anymore. its sad to say but it really seems like this place is trying to run people off rather than bring people in.

my rant is now over.

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I've never shot at the club in question but I'd like to address that James has mentioned. I'm NOT standing up to whoever is involved but just a little perspective from another gun club operator. I've run registered shoots (fortunately/unfortunately small) by MYSELF (and twotrap kids). Did I plan it that way?.....NO, but when no one else shows up you do what you got to do! Sometimes the voice releases get "ghosts" in them....one time they work, 10 minutes later they don't work...what changed?, I haven't a clue. Newsletters cost more money to produce and mail than anyone can believe. Most clubs don't have 500-600 dollars laying around each month to use for this purpose. At our club I utilize those who offer to help. Setting up/tearing down, scoring.....the list goes on and on. Again not knowing anything about this club don't knock it until you have been behind the counter and IN the traphouse or the kitchen, it's harder than it looks.

If there is a person who constantly pisses off the shooters, remove them as they will kill your attendance. Do what you must to keep the club open.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

my 2 cents. I think that there are some issues at the club. Pete is ALWAYS friendly and I really believe that he tries hard to keep the traps running--the best he can. The equipment needs to be updated but they try that. I have been turned away because the shoot was "closed" already. It was early and there was plenty of time to shoot. The need a better on time schedule and a little more flexibility. The shoots used to star at 10am and only one wave of squads. start 4 squads at a time and they rotate. They would not run a fifth squad?? could not figure that out. I have gone on a Saturday and not found anyone to shoot the "program". There were some money issues a few years ago but I BELIEVE THAT HAS WORKED OUT. They used to have lunch at the counter but that stopped so you need to make sure and eat before getting there. Not a deal breaker. It is a tough background especially in the winter months but in general it is a nice place to shoot. motordoc

10. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Been at least 6 or 7 years, maybe more, since I have shot there. This was a super club then. Mr Balog and his father were the first two people I met at this club, and two of the finest gentlemen I have ever had the pleasure of shooting with. I also agree with Mr. Logan, not alot of glory in running a club. Not shooting much anymore, but I really hope they straighten things out, it is a very nice facility. Good luck.

11. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

Thank you very much for all the continued imput, and we are in the process of tackling many of the issues, and hope to have an outstanding program and facility by early spring.

Sportsmen’s Gun & Reel Club

Winter League 2009-10
    44165 Middle Ridge Road
    Lorain, Ohio 44053
    ¾ mile south of Broadway Exit off I-90 behind Wagner’s
    (Sign is behind telephone pole if headed from I-90)

Targets $17

Options:
    Lewis class* $5
    Yardage Purse** $5
    50 straight jackpot*** $5
    Long Run**** $1
    Reverse Long Run**** $1

*divided 60/40% (1-5 shooters one class, 6-20 two classes, 21+ three classes)

** pays high score in each yardage group (18-21, 22-24, 25-27)

*** 50 straight handicap jackpot will have gauranteed $200 starting pot that pays 25% 1st time played, 33% 2nd and 3rd time, 50% 4th time on. All money will be paid out 50/30/20 last day to top 3 averages of 6 scores. Ties divide and must play 50 straight jackpot at least 6 times to be eligible for final payout. NO EXCEPTIONS

****long run from first target to last. Reverse long run starting with last target

This is our winter league program that will be on this Saturday, I would love to see all of you, as well as anyone else who views this page there. And ask you to please come support the club and people you do enjoy that are there.

12. gridlock

gridlock Member

I will second what Trapat and James have said. There are a couple of persons that have caused shooters to stay away. Get them out of there and attend.will increase. Pete does a good job but,he is only one person. Lastly,I know of several shooters that would be happy to help with scoring,sign up and squading.

Lack of food has also been an issue.I know there are some folks that are willing to "man the kitchen".

It can come back to being a nice club to shoot at under the right leadership.

13. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

I just wanted to put my two cents in my fiance has made a comittment to run the kithen on the winter league shoots and has done so with the exception of one time and someone called and told her not to anyway because they were having there christmas party and I had prior commitments to another gun club that I have been going to for several years and lately I feel like any effort I put in is just in vein because I know alot of shooters and they all feel the same way the people behind the counter are very unpleasant and rude and nobody I know will come back until they're gone and also made a suggestion to take some of the money from the reclaimed lead and buy a gun to raffle off at the end of the ata season was told this was just not feasable other clubs have done it and been successfull I just went to another gun club they raffled off seven guns plus whats this costing the gun club if its coming from the recycled lead didnt we put that lead out there anyway after we payed for the targets and as I told you before I will become more active after january but as of right now nobodys going to come because of the staff and by no means am I talking about Pete the guy is an icon to the club and everybody loves him
    the club has to be willing to take some chances our they will fold and i mean some incentives to make it worth the peoples drive I've talked to people who have turned clubs like this arround but you gotta take a chance my spelling probably wasnt the greatest but you get the point I'll probably be there saturday but if I'm not she will be to run the kithen been having severe neck and back pain could'nt even shoot a hundred at geneva thanks Brian

14. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

15. TD1958

TD1958 Member

My personel opinion is that you want people to drive to your facility to pay to shoot and hopefully make a little of their money back and when they get there they have to pay for a membership pass in order to spend their money there. I don't know if it is still this way but i always thought that to be incorrect and there for i don't go. The help on the other hand is never ready. You have to go inside for every protection shoot and sign up. You waste more time walking in and out thanyou spend shooting. Tim Dearth

16. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

Tim when is the last time you've shot protections at SGR??? And I am trying my best to get the club to lift the "protection memberships" but politics are difficult sometimes.

Chris Hevener

17. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

TTT =) thank you all for you imput it is greatly appreciated

18. Coach'sWorry

Coach'sWorry TS Member

so EE, if we put down an airway strip and provided you with a private plane it would be all good? right!??!?! ;))) i hope you have a wonderful place wherever you live to shoot

19. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

tim I haven't saw you around in quite some time shooting protection and well its pretty much the same as it was before there's still the membership bullcrap to shoot you still have to go inside to sign up and you might get eight shoots in during a three hour span which you can't blame on the club but some way to keep it outside or ran quicker could happen.

they had signs up everywhere stating 7. 5 shot or smaller

and they charge more and pay out less of a percentage than any other place I've ever been to.

also they are now taking two dollars out of the pot for shoot off birds which I have never saw anywhere else and probably never will. what makes that even more funny is they take that money out even when no shoot off takes place

they have a 50/50 there where if you get picked you have to break a bird to win well one night someone got picked who was usually always there and broke the bird and for some off the wall reason the person behind the counter didn't wanna pay him. i don't remember if he was ever paid or not but left right after that and has very very rarely shown up since.

this place makes me scratch my head. to me it honestly seems like they want to run people out half the time.

our club offer help badly. if it continues at this rate im scared there won't be a club there after long

20. PAPAJAY

PAPAJAY TS Member

Checked out your web site looks like a great club... I had shot Dover Bay
    many years ago.. I did not know of your club... My brother lives in Avon
    Lake near Sheffield. not far from the club..

I will make one of your ATA shoots next year.

Have a Merry Christmas..

Papajay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.