1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATTENTION MASSACHUSETTS GUN OWNERS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by noknock1, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

For those that lived there during the Romney years...

I am trying to understand the political climate at that point and time when Romney signed a bill put on his desk which permanently extended the state AWB (LAW) that was already in effect prior to Romney taking office.

If he would have vetoed the AWB, did the Democratic legislature have enough votes to override a veto and pass a stricter AWB?

Who is GOAL? Are they truly pro-gun? If so why did they compromise and support the permanent AWB?

<html>
    <body>

Gun Owners Action League and their take on Romney and the second amendment......

</body>
    </html>

According to GOAL... ROMNEY signed 5 pro-gun bills into law to include the permanent AWB which really helped Massachusetts gun owners by relaxing the even stricter definitions of the state law vs. the federal version of the AWB.

I keep reading that ROMNEY banned guns, which is technically true, he signed a bill that permanently extended an already existing ban on so called 'assault weapons.'

But he did not sign the first AWB?

Mitt Romney's remarks on gun control and the second amendment:

<html>
    <body>

Romney's remarks through the years on gun control....

</body>
    </html>

So for you Massachusetts residents, what was going on back then?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Thanks for posting the exact same link that I posted...

Anyways, anyone from Massachusetts care to way in as to my original question?

4. Brian in Oregon

Didn't click your link, and you renamed it, so I did not realize it was the same.

And are you wondering if Romney faced an override of a veto that it was thus OK to go ahead and sign the bill? Because that's a mighty spineless thing to do. That would speak worse of him than if he simply thought some guns should be banned. Screw his base over for political expediency.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

NoKnock, the quick answer is yes, the legislature runs this state. There are perhaps a half dozen republicans between both house and hundreds of the democrats. Truly a one party system. Surprisingly we have had quite a few republican govenors but they really are not able to get any change. The present one is from Chicago and perhaps the most liberal we've ever had. Licenses and free education along with the housing for illegals. Illegal has no meaning here it seems between the govenor and the judial system. As a neighbor who recently moved said to me "It's time to get out of Dodge"

The other answer is yes GOAL is pro-gun and the only voice we have here. Thanks for reminding me that it's time to make my annual donation to them. I think my days in Dodge are numbered also.

If you have any other questions I can help you with, just ask.

Shoot often in good health while we can.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Agreed Brian, but I am still just wondering what the political climate was at that point and time. Also, is it possible that Romney can still be a semi pro-gun President?

FOR THE RECORD, I AM NOT COMPARING ROMNEY IN ANYWAY TO REAGAN other than the fact President Reagan started off as Democrat who actually banned Californians from carrying guns in public with him signing the Mulford Act in 1967.

President Reagan also signed Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) which included the Hughes amendment.

So President Reagan banned guns while in the White House, so do you believe Reagan was spineless or just incompetent because he was surrounded by legal counsel and staff that didn't verify the Huges amendment was properly added to FOPA?

Or, regardless of whether or not it was legally added to the bill, do you believe President Reagan should have vetoed FOPA which overall was good for gun owners?

Interesting video floating around... still has nothing to do with the fact that President Reagan signed a bill that overall helped gun owners in this country.

<html>
    <body>

Hughes amendment vote failure in house...

</body>
    </html>

I think there are numerous politicians on both sides of the aisle that are bad for the second amendment, our system isn't working like intended, but to vote third party is a vote for Obama, PERIOD.

Who was the last truly 100% pro-gun President?

Certainly wasn't President Clinton, or George H. Bush, that is obvious... What about George W. Bush? After all, he did let the AWB sunset...

Read some of his comments on gun control, good thing we had enough pro-gun representatives and senators to keep anything rolling across his desk as he stated he would have added additional gun laws!

<html>
    <body>

George W. Bush on Gun contol/rights

</body>
    </html>

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Thanks Bob for the answers... For Romney to try and push any of his own agenda, he basically could sign that bill or be completely shut out in future plans?

Is that a fair statement?

8. Brian in Oregon

The sad fact is... The Dems could not pass most of their gun bans and restrictions on law-abiding firearms owners without the support of Republicans. The same Republicans who claim to be our friends. The same Republicans who join the NRA or bribe them with gun ranges right before they run for a bigger office. As long as these same Republicans keep getting supported by gun owners, nothing will ever change. The Second Amendment pie will keep diminishing a slice at a time. The goal of the anti's is to totally get rid of gun ownership by incrementalism. It's the old "frog in a pot of hot water" thing. It's time for gun owners to stop backing those who ban guns or restrict the law-abiding and get someone better elected.

BTW, have any of you ever considered that when a politician says a gun is too dangerous to be in the hands of criminals and they ban you from owning it, that YOU are the ones they consider to be a criminal?

The danger with Romney is that he could get a Republican controlled congress to do things that Obama never could, one of the things being a gun ban. I don't trust gun banners. Once a gun banner, always a gun banner. Therefore I cannot support Romney. I'll vote third party. In fact, it might be better to have total gridlock with a GOP controlled congress with Obama reelected than to get a RINO gun banner in the Oval Office. Many bring up the "lesser of two evils" argument, well this is one too.

9. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

You hit the nail on the head about gun banning politicians... Some Dems are our friends and some Republicans are not! We are just guaranteed screwed if Obama gets another four years of packing the federal courts around the nation to include one or two for the SCOTUS with anti-gun judges!

10. Brian in Oregon

Which is exactly why we need someone friendly towards the Second Amendment in the Oval Office, and that leaves Romney out.

It's not too late to vote for a better nominee than Barack Romney.

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I agree, however, should it end up Romney and Obama, I am going to have to go with Romney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.