1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attention lead ingot makers...A word of caution...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I was in the process of making a batch of ingots yesterday out of some weights I was sent and had a near mishap. I was standing about 10 feet away from the covered cast iron pot when there was a sound like a gunshot behind me and the lid of the pot was about 18 inches in the air when I snapped around. Molten lead was spattered in a large circumference around the burner. As I said, I was about 10 feet away and I had a little molten lead spattered on the back of my jeans, and a few small burns on my exposed arms. After some head scratching, I went back to melting and later that day, I found the remains of a cr2032 battery with lead slag on it near the turkey burner. Apparently someone had disposed of the battery in the scrap wheel weight can at their shop. I had always heard they could/would explode if heated but had never seen it. Now I have. Had I been standing over the pot stiring it or removing clips or had the lid not been in place, I don't even want to think what might have happened. Just a word of caution to never just dump lead into your pot. Look at what you are putting in there. I usually do and I was in a hurry this time.

Jeff

2. 682b

682b Member

Look out for spiders and flys. They are just like Water to a lead pot.I never put a lid on mine.

3. flylta

flylta TS Member

Sorry to hear about the mishap but glad you are ok.

Ron

4. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I bought a full face sheild just for that reason. Also wear a welders hat and welders gloves.

5. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i always sort all junk first,mark

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I bought a full face sheild just for that reason. Also wear a welders hat and welders gloves.

This is the best advice I have seen yet when it comes to making shot. If I were making shot this is advice I would take! Jeff

7. ansvel

ansvel Member

2GoldEx

Do you make shot by dropping the molten lead?
    I remember your very enlightening information from the past.

8. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

I believe Jeff said he was in a hurry and didn't sort through the stuff he put in his melting pot. Glad to also hear he is okay from this experience.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Caution warning appreciated. I always sift and put in but have been in a hurry and just started dumping. I wont be doing that agian.

10. DJM

DJM Member

Batteries exploding in the lead pot, expensive shot makers that require extensive set-ups and constant tinkering, lead exposure, heavy lifting, skin burns, shot for lead trades that turn out to be rip-offs, dwindling wheel weight availability. It may well be that $40/bag for store bought is not such a bad deal after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.