1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attention Joe Kuhn

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have been following the story of your shotgun and thought maybe you would want to see mine.

[​IMG]

I started this project in 1981, after I once told a very good friend of mine, how I liked the idea of the Ljutic Space Gun but could not afford to buy one at the time. He made one simple remark: "make your own!"

It was like a clarion call. Something clicked and I said yeah, sure.

I found a home defense shotgun with an 18 inch barrel called the CM55 from Component Metal Products, Atlanta GA. It featured a twist open receiver and thrust type bolt/firing pin(slam fire). It came with a 18 inch barrel, two fore-arms and optional forward grip. An optional stock for this gun could be ordered, but I did not like the looks of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought a brand new Marlin bolt action goose gun with a 36 in barrel. Removed the barrel, kept some other parts and destroyed the receiver and tossed the wood.

The rear portion is steel rolled piece in the photo connects the rear of the gun with a pin. I put an adhesive pad on it, where it makes contact with my face.

Inspired by the space gun, I welded a piece of meal for a rib on it, fashioned the fore-arm.

Having about a 10 pound trigger pull, I put a trigger shoe on it to help make easier to shoot.

Firing the 20 pound gun is quite simple. You twist open the bolt, insert a shell and close the bolt.

When it is your turn to shoot, you raise the gun up onto your shoulder with a portion of the stock hanging past your shoulder. Reach up, cock the bolt and call for the bird. The gun is almost directly under your eye and therefore the stock requires no cast.

The gun has zero felt recoil. I should have made the stock out of smooth turned wood, perhaps with an insert in the rear where I could add threaded weights to it in order to balance the gun better.

Perhaps one could make a hollow tube with a cut channel where a butt pad that spring loaded would ride in it and allow the entire gun to slide further back on the shoulder.

I named this gun the Barker W.T.F.I.T. Model 1. The typical response from any trap shooter who saw it lent it to being named as such. Laughter and guffaws were common, but I soon learned to ignore it and some who shot it did not laugh any more, when the bird broke and there was no recoil.

When I showed the gun to my friend (Chuck Hill,now deceased) he liked it. He thought I really had something and wanted me to continue to refine it. But alas, there were many things going on in my life and I put the gun aside, never to finish it.

Just thought you would like to see it.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Somewhere I have an old Single Shot Rifle Journal magazine that shows a shooter somewhere in the pre- to WWI era shooting a rifle on a range that is very, very similar to your shotgun. The purpose was to have mass behind him to counterbalance the heavy barrel. No mention was made of the merit of the system, and since it was not universally adopted it apparently did not make a huge difference.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I like it a lot. Kind of reminds me of a M-72 Law with a pistol grip. Very cool.

Wayne

[​IMG]

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I am just wondering how one would shoulder that gun. It has to be it has to be four feet from the pistol grip to the end in one direction and better than 30" in the other.

Bob Lawless

5. Rick Barker

Rear of gun is placed on top of shoulder, much like a bazooka.

It's hokey, but just something I was trying out.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Where are you located?

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What you need is an index stop for your shoulder. Like the rudimentary buttstock on a bazooka.

8. Rick Barker

Yes, and I thought about a butt plate that would ride in a channel on the bottom of a hollow tube, spring loaded, so the gun would slide back.

As it is, with all the weight, it does not move, but if the rear piece was replaced with a lighter unit, I thinkk it surely wood.

9. Rick Barker

Joe, I am in Centennial, CO, which is a bordering city with Denver, CO.

10. joe kuhn

Next time I'm out there...

Consider a holographic version for two reasons:

1) Every kid at the club is going to know what you have and want to shoot it.

2) Many of the kids at the club will have a dad or grandpa who need a holographic scope for their cross firing issues.

Very nice work. Thanks for posting. The video makes me wonder about how practical it would be on the trap range. The guy had trouble closing it. What's your experience? How long do you think the action would stay sealed?

Very few finds in Google.

Joe

11. Rick Barker

The gun in the video is the same thing I have. They also came in a 37MM for launching tear gas.

The video show the optional stock I mentioned, but did not buy.

I have never had a problem with mine coming open. There is a spring loaded bearing that fits into an indentation.

Practical on the trap range? Only if further modified beyond the stock issue. I was looking for something to defeat recoil and what I did, did produce zero, but mine needs a lot work to reduce weight, and have a good trigger. I nned to take a look at Ljutic slam fire system. Perhaps some will post some pics.

12. joe kuhn

Cool.

The Ljutic Selka has it all, but price is beyond most. I'm still wondering what they weigh.

13. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Nice work both you guys! Me, I got everything in my head. No need to start something I know I'll never finish or even if I do it won't work. One thing I did try to make was a diesel engine. Got it almost done then left it alone 20 years. When the economy went bust it got stolen and cashed in for scrap!!
    I have some pics of it, but they are not handy. I do enjoy checking out all these developments though! Buy for me is way easier than make. No money to buy with, I go without. Oh, recoil is never an issue with me, 292 lbs soaks it up!

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.