1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attention, All Grumpy Old Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Bigdumbdon, you said this some time between last night and this morning:

" Beware 357 is a non-shooting trouble maker.

Don"

If I get into shooting registered targets, am I going to have to fight you, and other crotchety grumps like you, every step of the way? If asking questions here will incessantly draw hateful remarks from some bitter old guy, I really have other things I can do.

So I don't know what a Calcutta is. So what? You can ask 1,000 people on the street, and nobody will know. It's a very obscure form of wagering. So I think pros shouldn't be in an amateur league. So, what? That seems like a reasonable thing to believe, and others have publicly and privately felt the same way. It's not cause for a war.

Everywhere I go, there you are. It was amusing, for a while, but even trolls move on. You're like a personal demon.

Nobody wants to hang around grumpy old people. Trap is competing against all the big sports and all personal interests such as pistol and rifle shooting, motorcycling, hiking, sailing, skydiving, PWC'ing, traveling, etc. It costs me a lot less to shoot 60 Free Pistol bullets than 100 Trap shells. I can take the missus to a Baseball game for about the same amount.

The missus far more enjoys when we take a weekend trip, instead of me spending a weekend day at the gun club. I have to fight her, a little, to go shoot, and when I have to fight you, too, the path of least resistance goes elsewhere.

If I'm incessantly going to have to fight you, and other grumpy farts like, you, just because we disagree or because I haven't been doing this since the Eisenhower administration, forget it. I'll occasionally shoot practice trap, for fun, and the local playhouse will be glad to see me show up, whether it's my first time or my 1,000th.

The "Listen here, Son" set just gets really tedious, and, really, they haven't done much to make Trap a sports alternative to young kids. This sport looks like it will lose well over half, maybe 80%, of its shooters in the next ten years. Worse, they won't move out of the way when someone younger has a new idea. I got into Trap because, at a time in my life, it was more convenient to shoot than handgun, my main shooting love. Shotguns are great, don't get me wrong, but there's nothing like emptying a cylinder of .44+P (my own recipe).

Further, gun owners will, as a Gospel fact, run off people with all this bemoaning about Obama while praising or ignoring Bush and the evils of that administration. We don't want to hear it, and we think the old crowd is somewhat racist, given the similarities of Obama and Bush, and a lot hypocritical.

Think about it.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Smoking357 All I can say is WELCOME .

I don,t think anyone really pays much attention to bigdon . He is for the most part harmless .

I,m happy your shooting trap and do hope you try registerd (it,s alot of fun)

ALF-99

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

Welcome. Jump in with the rest of us and have fun. John

4. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Smoking 357,

You had me moving your way with your post.. until you posted..

"Further, gun owners will, as a Gospel fact, run off people with all this bemoaning about Obama while praising or ignoring Bush and the evils of that administration. We don't want to hear it, and we think the old crowd is somewhat racist, given the similarities of Obama and Bush, and a lot hypocritical."

How long has Bush been out of office..?? get off the blame game already!! The Dem's control things now.. WHY have they NOT fixed all the stuff they claim Bush screwed up???

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,I'm new to the sport,(OCT 99)I think the problem you have Smoking is within your own statement.Saying Big Don(notice I left out the derogotory middle part)DON,is like a personal Demon.There's the crux of the problem.Demons can't get in unless you invite them.I've read more than enough of the threads where you and Don get into it.Why recognize a Demon as you call him,with a thread dedicated to him.Personally I have nothing againest either of you,but it is getting Long in the tooth that everyday a new thread has you both going at it.Albeit the one statement you started with I haven't read yet,but I'm sure I'll find it somewhere as I read on.I shoot for enjoyment,and feel with what ever a person does,that should be priority,not what others do,but just enjoyment.By your own statement it seems you do trap for conveinence more than competition because you mention pistol shooting as your love.So,why be concerned with politics in a sport your not dedicated too?The club I shoot at has recently seen an influx of young people and it seems to be doing well.Not great,but as good as other interests,as unfortunately the younger generations were not taught the outdoors,such as fishing hunting etc.,,they were too busy watching Barney,Sesame Street,and other shows on TV.Calcutta,don't quite understand all the options with one,but always someone at the club to explain it to me,and always helpful no matter how dumb my questions may be.I don't think you have to worry about running into Don,because unless you drop some of your other interests,I don't see it happening. the fighting as you call it ,seems just to be internet jargon and something to do while on the computer.I'm sure in person,both you and DON are nice people.Have to admit,I'm older,and try to keep politics out of most of my communications,especially online,some people just feed on that.I Bass fish in clubs also,if you'd look at them the numbers are similiar to trap.Everyone is enjoying it theirselves,but forgetting to teach younger people the enjoyment of it.Too involved with the competition to teach the young.I dropped one club to shoot trap.And I shoot it for fun and enjoyment and have told myself and keep telling myself that's what I want it to be,and try not to get over competitive in it. Have had several at my club ask if I'm getting into the shooting league this year.I guess my scores are getting close enough some of the club memebers want me to.Going to be a hard decision,enjoy the company,but don't knoew if I want to commit to a schedule regiment of shooting yet.

Your statement of ,,they won't move out of the way for ideas,well,that's kind of narrow minded,as narrow minded as the leave it as it is kind of statement.Compromise and working together for the better good of something instead of,move over get outta the way,is always the better way.

Hope you have a good day,shoot for fun first,worry about the other stuff another day.

Doug H.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`m old - 69- Grumpy at times but a fun loving Trap Shooter . Let some go right thru >> There are some here that seem like Prison Guards to keep every one down if you get the point . Love to shoot and have been running a trap club for over 22 years and I try not to let most get to me but it``s hard . Most don`t have the slightest of what goes on behind the scenes to keep everything running , a club open , when to pitch in or when to keep their mouth shut .

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Similarities?

Sheesh.

I am not a Bush lover but that is not a very smart statement.

But as the topic says, I am old (over 30) and grumpy. Unfortunately I also have the roblem of using FACTS to make my assumptions.

When I was working construction jobs I would spend a lot of time with the old hands because their information was valuable. I became a lot smarter and more effective as a result.

Think about it.

HM

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just shut your face and let your scores do the talking!

Anybody can break 100 straights from the 27 with "Chin Music".

Curt

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

357 - welcome to TS. Don't let what he says bother you. This site and this sport has a lot of wonderful people who will become your friend. opinionated people make up just a small part of this group. The major part of the group are top shelf folks who care about each other. It does not make a bit of difference what you shoot, just shoot while we can.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

You're always gonna run into a few that think trapshooting is thier own private club and newcomers are to be scorned....kinda like the bunch from the East and Mid-West that pi$$ed all over the ATA when the Grand was possibly moving to the Southwest or West, like it BELONGED to them alone (oh,oh...did I just say that??)...anyway..ignore 'em...ask any question you want and someone will give you a straight answer..you just gotta separate the wheat from the chaff and weed seeds!

Ron Burr

Alberta

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I think that some young people just THINK that the older crowd is racist when they don't agree with the policies of the current administration. Y'all think that way because you are TOLD that the older crowd is racist. Dig more deeply and you might find out that the racist thing is a crutch that the liberals are leveraging.

I'm conservative, and DEFINITELY not a racist. There are many conservatives who are of color...and not all conservatives are old, either.

We have had a lot of new posters over the last few years that just come to ts.com because they know that it is a fairly conservative site as far as politics go and they want to argue politics. You have to forgive those who are skeptical of new posters. It doesn't mean that they don't want you to shoot trap and enjoy it. TS.com is NOT a trap club. If you show up to shoot, everyone would welcome you (including Don, probably).

12. Ikey Starks

Ikey Starks TS Member

WELCOME!! You’re gonna fit rite in – I just know it. Now, don’t let your shirt tail hit your ‘azz’ until you start shooting registered targets. You might even be surprised to find someone else who knows what a Hammerli 150 is. [;-) Ikey

13. chuckles

chuckles Member

Smokin 357....Welcome to TS.COM, a really good site about Trap Shooting and everything else under the Sun....

Caveat....If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.....

Don is a longtime poster and a respectable shooter with scores, Trophies to prove it.

Don is also a world class Cynic, you have to take what he says with a grain of salt but he is usually right on.....

If he is too much for you...just move on or don't read his threads.

Molehills and Mountains.....

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don-right on-never. I am!!

15. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Welcome smoking357, I hear what you are saying about bigdon. There are several trolls like him on this site, you pretty much have to consider the source and ignore them. There are other posters on this site who actually contribute in a useful fashion. Also, you really don't have to shoot registered targets to have a good time in this sport.

Have a good day, Rodbuster.

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

Welcome smoking357 I'm one of the Grumpy old men and I'm still not sure what a Calcutta is and what the hell it has to do with the sport of Trapshooting. Looks , smells and sounds like just another excuse to gamble to me.

However I am real damn sure about the current administration and it's attempt to destroy MY country. I have earned the right to my opinion and the experience to form it through many years of service to this country. You are most welcome to your opinion just as I am welcome to mine.

--- Chip King ---

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

TS.com is a virtual trap clubhouse , what ever significance it hold is strictly in your mind.

Actual trap shooting may have similar personalities but you don't have to deal with them if you don't want to.

18. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Welcome 357! I am an old fart and I tend to have my disagreements at times however, I always try to leave it at that and figure things out from another angle. One thing you can count on here is a great group of very knowledgeable folks who are willing to share what they know to help you. Of course there is always the occasional stick in the mud, don't pay attention to them and they will go away. Just remember to wear your thick skin around here and you will be just fine.

Jack Frost.

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

357 or whatever - Your last paragraph tells me all I need to know about you.

BB

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Some new fish wade in slowly and make friends, others prefer a big splash!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.