1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

attendence way down

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

attendence at the 51st johny mock shoot in pa. was way way down. most talking about gas and price of shells. hows your shoots doing?

2. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

I talked to two different friends of mine who operate resorts in summer vacation spots. One in Minnesota and the other at Shafer Lake in Indiana. Attendance is way down and calls for reservations for the big part of the summer and Labor Day weekend are at 50% normal. Gas prices and the fear of worse coming on is the driving force. Some always argue that a person who drives a high dollar SUV has no right to complain about gas prices. What gets lost in the argument is the fact that when crude oil goes up, NOT only gas prices go up but the cost of everything else goes with it. Transportation costs for food and other essentials, many of the things we use on a daily basis goes up too. It may be more a fear of the unknown and the possibility of continuing escalation of gas prices, but for now people are unwilling to buy more gas than they absolutely have to and that means they are NOT driving as much or as far.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I know I've mentioned this before with regard to the rising price of shot, but a slowdown in shooting now might be a good thing. Financially speaking, it's going to happen sooner or later and it's better for the clubs that shooters cut back on shooting now as opposed to having to stop altogether when shot and shell prices rise to even more insane levels.

Aside from shot and shell prices, the cost of fuel and just life in general is taking its toll. Here in south central Pennsylvania, sprint car racing is at least as popular as trapshooting and the shows with high ticket prices are seeing a slump in attendance. The World of Outlaws sprint series recently had two nights of racing at Williams Grove. General admission was $28 Thursday and $30 on Friday and pit passes were five to seven dollars more (a normal Friday night at the Grove costs $13). The stands were not as packed as in years past and neither were the pits. The WoO brought 25 cars and the local teams accounted for 26 more, which was a nice field. But last week, the spring Keystone Cup series was held at six local tracks. General admission was $17 to $20 and pit passes were $25. We had standing room-only crowds at all six races and as many as 41 local teams participating.

It's a little different in trapshooting, I think. I believe the state shoots will see normal attendance but the smaller local club shoots will suffer. Once shooters get their target minimums met, they won't keep going to those smaller shoots because of what it costs to get there and back as well as what it costs every time the gun goes off. Cutting back on the small shoots will enable them to go to their state shoot and maybe even the Grand.

Ed

4. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

las vegas gun club, last week are heldardo shoot down 30 percent from last year.

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

My liberal 'friends' note that all these things...gas prices, rains & flooding, droughts, shot prices, whatever etc. are all "Bush's fault". Got to blame someone. Best Regards, Ed

6. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Also Bush's fault the stock market and my retirement fund is SOARING!

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This don't surprise many people who have retired and are now on a fixed income which is about the only thing that stays about the same anymore ... I have been thinking seriously about starting another business but the notion pass's rather quickly, thank God ... We won't be missing any meals but might have to put a few other things on the back burner if it keeps up the way its going ... Bowling keeps looking better all the time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I understand that total ATA targets thrown year-to-date in California is actually up a little bit over last year. The increase is coming from the Clubs that are aggressively promoting the sport and their shoots. Clubs that aren't good at promoting are down. This is in a state where it is very difficult to build a new club, where gas is about $3.40 a gallon, where driving 150+ mile R/T to a shoot is not unusual and ATA targets cost $25.00 to $30.00 per hundred.

So, if your shoots are down, look in the mirror. That is where the problem can be found.

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Only shot on Monday the last day of the Great Lakes Grand and it seemed to me that there was not much of a crowd. Few vendors too. Maybe just my impression as I have not seen any attendance figures.

10. grammie

grammie TS Member

"Short Sellers" on Wall Street are at their highest percentage since 1931!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARNING-------WARNING.......

Short selling is when you sell your stock now at todays price,,,with the promise of re-buying at the stocks new lower price later!!!!!

No!!! things are not rosy with our economy!!!!!

The "correction" I thought was coming immediatly after the mid-terms and to comtinue as the market warms up to a democratic President,,,is on its way!!!!

AKA Grammie.........

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Things are pretty good in Western Washington according to today's newspaper.

Manufacturing a big part of state's economic recovery
    By BILL VIRGIN
    P-I COLUMNIST

Wow, look at that economy roll. We know what keeps it going -- it's all the new-economy stuff our region boasts.

Well, not exactly. There's also a lot of old-fashioned brawn and sweat keeping up demand for, well, for just about everything.

All right, sure, manufacturing contributes, too, but it must be new-fangled stuff such as alternative energy and medical equipment producing the growth. Oh yeah, and that airplane company.

Again, not exactly. The big drivers of economic recovery from the state's economic slump in the early part of this decade were the unglamorous mainstays of manufacturing.

But no one ever talks about fabricated metals, sand and gravel, furniture or machine shops as the hot-growth and sexy components of the economy.

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

"Shorts" might read about Jesse Livermore. The message is "shorts die broke".

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Mike

Attendance on Monday was up slightly from last year. Several vendors, e.g. Tom Larkin, left Sunday evening.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Well, I guess MTA Tom just put a bucket of cold water on this thread. Thanks Tom. Tough to get the truth these days with the media as screwed up as it is.

15. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Attendance for the five days of the GLG with no significant rain (Tuesday-Friday plus Monday) was just about exactly the same as last year.

Unfortunately, attendance on Saturday and Sunday, with hard rain starting both mornings, was down a lot. Total attendance was down 12%.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I pulled into the GLG early thursday morning and got the last non primitive camp spot available.

Shannon

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

He also ask in his third sentence "Hows your shoot doing"

18. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

alf174, Did not know; we left after the caps, but thanks just the same. Assume it was for doubles class D second place.

19. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

The California PITA state shoot at Coon Creek in Lincoln was up from last year.
    Certainly not a large shoot, but incouraging to see an increase. - Jim

20. grammie

grammie TS Member

Big Heap:

I would remind you,,,,,,Just before the market tanked and brought about the great depression,,,,,while brokers were jumping out of windows,,,,the short sellers made millions upon millions of dollars!!!

AKA Grammie........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.