1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attendance down? The cure - host a SCTP shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Northern California SCTP events this season have been a boon to the host clubs.

Los Banos - 204 registered shooters
    Angels Camp - 223 registered shooters
    Coon Creek - 237 registered shooters
    Stockton - 203 registered shooters

There are 3 more events on the calendar, Auburn, Sac Valley and Livermore then the State SCTP Shoot in Kingsburg.

All the clubs report the SCTP events are the biggest shoots they will host this year outside of a State Shoot.

Cost of travel? Phooey! We have kids getting up at 2.00am and travelling from Ukiah to attend these events. That is one hardcore group of young 'uns.

Get behind your State SCTP program. Get a shoot on your calendar and watch the kids have fun (you do remember fun), hang with their friends, be safe and rack up some eye popping scores.

Oh, you get to make a few bucks too.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Just as a thought since SCTP shooters and coaches are always trying to get donated shells, targets and everything else would those numbers be that high if the kids or parents have to pay full price for shells, targets and everything else?

Just how much money can actually be made by a club sponsoring an SCTP event when they are most likely giving a reduction in target costs to the shooters, most likely have SCTP shooters they are supporting in the shoot themselves and overall and most likely spending more than what the actual and true costs of the event is.

Good job on the numbers but just how many of them will stick around and be part of the sport and actually put money back into the sport once they or there mommy and daddy must spend the real money for them to continue to shoot?

BYW ... your whole "Oh, you get to make a few bucks too" is not and really should have nothing to do with the SCTP program, it aint about the money but about the kids, or at least that is what everybody says.

3. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Glad to see that the clubs are finally registaring the SCTP shoots!!!!! About time...Kym

4. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Mr Newbius, Can I ask how you first got involved in shooting? Did you just walk up to a club one day and say "that looks fun, I think I'll give that a try", or did someone take you for your first experience? In talking to other shooters, I have found that most were assisted by someone in someway when they first got started.

That is all the SCTP is doing but on a much larger scale. I have kids on my team that come from homes that would have never tried the shooting sports if left on there own.

Also, I’m totally fine with most of these young people growing up and never shooting another ATA target. I feel that if you provide a young person with a positive experience with a firearm, they will remember that experience for the rest of their life and when it comes time to vote they will be less likely to take guns out of the hands of people like you and me.

Please consider this next time you see a SCTP, trap shooters need guns in order to shoot trap. If we had to rely on only trap shooters to protect our gun rights, guns would have been gone a long time ago. All gun owners need to band together and the SCTP is providing a fun and attractive way to get young people involved in safe responsible gun ownership. If that’s all they do they have done well and all gun owners should be thankful.

Just my 2 cents,

Roger Beardsley
    Mason-Dixon Clay Busters

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Roger - your words are valid but it dose not make me change my views upon a freebie shooting system when to get those freebies they are always asking other shooters to help and to support the ... well ... its almost like another for of ... well ... its almost like welfare, its there and its a good system but all it takes is a couple of abusers and it gives everyone on the program a bad image.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

rmngtngrl - unfortunately the targets are not registered. they should be. these events are essentially ATA 16 yard singles only events and I see no reason why the preliminary shoots are not registered targets - they are held under the same rules and conditions as the State Shoot (and those targets are registered). The ATA is missing the boat on this. A lot of targets are being thrown every Saturday in April/May that COULD count towards ATA totals.

Newbutt - the only funding I am aware of for our local SCTP teams comes from private donations, NRA grants and fundraising - that last one being plain old fashioned hard work by volunteers. you do recall community service? I've heard your schtick before - would they shoot if somebody else wasn't paying the freight? the club my son shoots for gets no funding, everybody is on their own. the club gives them a $1 discount on their practice rounds but they pay their way for everything else. we have 20+ kids on the team and they go to all the shoots and attend regular weekly practice. sounds like its working to me. several of the kids on the team also shoot ATA/PITA and compete in the registered events. those few that do remain beyond SCTP will be hardcore trapshooters for many years to come. Those kids came up through SCTP (which has as its charter to INTRODUCE kids to the clay target shooting sports). Without SCTP would those kids have found trapshooting anyway??

Think about this - California is not a gun friendly state - guns in schools are BAD. California SCTP has several schools with official school teams. That is one very positive message being sent to the world at large about kids and guns. Our State Director has done wonderful work here and he is to be applauded and congratulated for the continued development and growth of the program and the team coaches get a big kudos too.

How much money can be made at a SCTP shoot? The target fees are $20 which is more than the Juniors/Sub Juniors pay when they register for 1/2 price at an ATA/PITA event. Then you have lunches, drinks, etc and ammo and components - 200+ families have to eat and drink. The money made is not insignificant. I know the actual amount and I was surprised.

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Newbutt - bad image?

where do you get that impression?

freebies? you need to take off the tinfoil hat dude. I'm not seeing freebies on this side of the fence. show me where they are and I'm all over it.

have you seen the NSSF website (the website of the national SCTP). Do you know how many shooters come out of SCTP and go onto ATA/PITA registered events or become ATA All Americans? How about kids that were SCTP shooters that go onto represent their country in the Olympics? Try two current Olympians - Corey Cogdell and Vince Hancock (world record holder in skeet). The majority of participants at the Junior Olympics held every year by USA Shooting come from the ranks of SCTP.

I can only attribute your sour attitude to the fact that you were probably outshot by a SCTP shooter at some event. I see it all the time.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Roger,

There are around 10,000 kids in SCTP. By the time you add in moms and dads the number of shooting sports advocates spawned by the SCTP program runs into a serious number. I love seeing kids with their moms at the shoots, even better - I love seeing daughters with their moms at the shoots. The number of girls taking up shooting is the growth area. What a huge boon that is for our sport. Good kids too.

9. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Mr Newbius, if you think these kids are getting a free ride you are sadly mistaken. In addition to our practices, most of these kids shoot 1 or 2 times a week. I have 3 of my own young people involved in the SCTP, 15, 14 and 11. It costs me a fortune to keep them in shells but that is the choice I have made. Besides how else is an 11 year old going to make enough money to shoot on a regular basis? They all work hard for the privilege to shoot and every single one of them gives back to the clubs that support our team. Loading the trap house, working in the kitchen, etc.

Reduced rates, yes but free ride, no way!

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Like I said all it takes is a couple abusers and it gives everyone a bad image. Now there are those out there that beg for shells, beg for vests, beg for hearing protection and beg for free or very drastically reduced targets and if you look in the archives of TS.com you will find them. All it takes is a few bad examples and they can give the entire program a bad image.

SCTP is the passion of some people and if anyone speaks poorly of that passion it is best to back up and move away cause there is going to be some girly smackin a beggin to start happenin ... well you can begin if you want but remember those few bad ones begging for the kids can spoil the image of a good program.

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

you keep beatin' that drum newblood. you have nothing to offer but some maybes and if's. by all means back up and move away - your arguments are specious and lack any merit.

show me a gun club that has had a BAD experience with their SCTP program and I might be willing to read your stuff in a semi serious vein - otherwise your just another blowhard knocker who would rather tear something down than build it up. I dare you to hang around with a group of SCTP shooters and come back and report what a bunch of whiney, messed up layabouts we've created with this program.

Heck - if there is a SCTP shooter (former or current), parent or coach that has seen this program go off the rails then speak up - I'd love to hear about it. My experience has been very positive apart from one incident that led to a major policy change and that was for the good.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

SCTP is very good for our club's bottom line. There are other avenues for bringing money into a club other than selling targets and shells. We do a wide variety of things like host employee appreciation parties for local buisnesses or retirement parties... anything the community wants. Do good things and all of a sudden money and services come back to help more good things happen.

Yep we give the parents paying for their kids a break where ever we are able. Yep we are making money and developing the club. We get our strenght from the community and young people need to be at the top of our priority list. The days of a trap club being a place just for cranky old rich guys are done, that doesn't work anymore because those guys only think about the price of targets and shells.

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Mr Charles/Wolfram et al.....

How are your SCTP shoots organized??

Do you shoot any "events" against other temas leading up to the State Championship? Or do you just shoot intra squad practice rounds?

I really like the way that it is organized in California, very much like an ATA event, just singles only. We have had eleven different teams competing and 200+ kids at every event this year. Trophies at each event for 1st place thru 3rd in each division - all individual awards, the only events that focus on team are States and Nationals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.