1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Attack of the Stink Bugs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pdq, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

Jerry reported the concern over stink bugs being in his reloads in another thread, to which I say:

Jerry:

I'll squad with you -- heck I'll even help you burn through those worthless shells if you're giving them away.

Seriously -- for all -- I found a way to significantly (95%+) eliminate the stink bugs from getting into my house. This is going to sound strange, but stay with me on it.

Last fall we found we were getting 50 - 100 in our house every day, all of a sudden, no idea why, and no idea how they were getting in. But, they were primarily in some parts of the house, and absent from others. The only pattern I could see was that they were in rooms with fireplaces, of which we have 3.

So, I went to Home Depot and got some fine gray fiberglass screening material, similar to what you'd use in a screen door, cut pieces to size and then secured with clear tape over the entire outside of each fireplace surround. Within hours we had them crawling all over the inside of the mesh. So, at a minimum, we identified their access point, i.e. they were coming in through the chimneys.

We still get the odd loaner now and then, but nothing like the number which were everywhere. Pretty disgusting to be cooking dinner on the stove and see one floating there.

Pete

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Good stuff. I'll do a bit of sealing over the weekend. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.