1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

atrial fibrillation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I have afib! I take sotalov on a daily basis! It works, most of the time! Does anyone have a real good fix for when the f--- thing does not work!? Don't tell me see, "See a doc!@" Last time, he said surgery was 80% effective! Tom Rhoads

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tom--Ok, I won't dare tell you to see a doc but if you'd rather have a Trap shooters input over a doc's you may want to try a shrink.

Kid'n aside, atrial fibrillation is no joke but very treatable. My mother is a prime example. Good luck and take care of your self.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It's not considered surgery. They go in like they are doing a heart cath. Real easy procedure called an ablation spelling may be wrong. I had it for about 11 or 12 years did not want to have the procedure done. I was a stupid ass for waiting so long. You want to see an Electrophysiciologist. They take care of the hearts electrical system. A Cardiologist takes care of the hearts plumbing. I guess if you don't want to see a doc you could wait until a clot forms when your heart goes back into normal sinus rythm after being in a fib and have a stroke. Probably easier than going to the Doc and you might get a nice ride in the ambulance. Bulge.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bulge, Can you say that 3 times fast. Wow. Break-em all. Jeff

5. BT99

BT99 Member

Go see a doc. I had it. Would come up at the most inopportune time.
    Had a heart ablation (spelling). No problems in the last three years.

6. tcr1146

Thanks guys! Sick of this occasional bullshit! Tom Rhoads

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My Cdr. has me on digitalis and sotalol. Like you, once in a while I have a session of afib still. I have to sit down and let it pass. I hate the feeling and sometimes it goes on so long that I get very tired. Dr. hasn't offered a surgical alternative yet.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's not something to play with. It can be a very serious condition, but usually it can be kept in check easily. The worst would be anticoagulants to prevent blood clots from forming. They've been usiong Rat Poison (Coumadin) for almost 60 years, so they have a good idea what it does and how to regulate it.

9. DickG

DickG TS Member

I had it for about 8 years until I decided to do the ablation. It took 3 tries until the last ablation fixed it. Been in sinus rhythm for the past 3-4 years.
    If you have the insurance, I'd say go for it.

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Everyone who has atrial fib is different. I deal with it on a daily basis for years.

You must be under the care of a electro-physiologist and a cardiac doc who specializes in arrhythmias.

I've be cardioverted so many times I've lost count. I've had an ablation (no big deal and it doesn't always work) and always things seem to work for a while. Then things go badly and it's a game of let's try this and see if it works.

Take the blood thinners, it beats having a stroke.

By all means listen to your doctor's advice. Everyone here is well-meaning but nobody has the exact body you do and it's not like curing a cold. None on this forum can give you a magic wand and what works for me doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.

Only through a thorough diagnosis and trying various modalities will you find some answers. Denial will not help and being pissed will not help.

11. tcr1146

I have come very close to trying my dog's electric collar when I have a bout! Instead, I got out of bed last night, fixed a large bourbon on the rocks and checked out TS.com! Somewhere along the line, the f---ing thing quit and I went back to bed. Today, I am tired and not very energetic! Tom Rhoads

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tom--I said i wouldn't do it but now i must. Please go see a doc. My mom doesn't do anything other than take meds. She had to be shocked twice and few med changes got her straightened out. Everyone is different though. As explained above with the "Ablation" its a minor procedure when needed. Not really surgery. If you have lost confidence in your doc, seek another. We care too much for our friends here to let you live like this. Seriously.--Matt

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Tom,

The Doctor knows best when it comes to dealing with A-Fib, take his or her advice, ask for all options and go with it ... If it goes untreated you can stroke out or worst ... The burn marks go away after about 3 weeks ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Jerry944t

WPT, what burn marks? I've been defibrillated at least 6 times and never had any burn marks. The electrode pads they put on your back and front are large and leave no burns, at least in my case.

Also, if the nurse is nice they'll peel those suckers off before you wake up from the sedation.

In my experience it's been a non-event.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I am truly stretching the synapses at the moment, but I recall that an 'emergency' treatment is to cough.

Coughing in a fixed, regular pattern sometimes serves to convert the rhythm...

FYI, I did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

16. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

A-Fib medication that they have me take. Some are to counter other medications.

Add Diabetes, three more drugs and insulin.

Furoesmide 40mg taken 60mg (1&1/2 tab) a day.

Diltiazem 60mg taken three times a day.

Digoxin 250mg taken once daily.

Simvastatin 20mg taken daily.

Asprin 81mg taken once a day.

Warfarin 10mg M,W,F. 7.5mg T,T,S,S.

Klor-Com M20 20mg taken daily.

Simvastatin 20mg taken daily.

Betapace 40mg taken twice daily.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jerry944T,

I had a procedure where I was sedated and the pads put in place while I was awake and gone when I woke up but there was burn marks and irritation that lasted 3 weeks ... Might of happened after the second jolt but they were there trust me on that one ... They gave me some salve to put on them to keep them from itching and help heal them ... I was not dreaming, trust me on that one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Jerry944t

Yeah Bill, I completely believe you. My only problem was a slight itching due to the hair on my chest being pulled out.

It must have something to do with how many joules of electricity is used.

Once again it just shows that everyone is different and listening to a doctors recommendation is always the best path.

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Rock yours sound like mine, heck after I take all the meds in the morning I'm not even hungry for breakfast, thank God for the VA

And the night ones are kinda like dessert

But the OP needs to get it checked out, I was reluctant until my brother had a stroke at age 51, he will spend the rest of his life paralysed in a nursing home, he's been in there for about 7 yrs so far

20. DJM

DJM Member

This is the 5th or 6th thread we have had on this subject. I always read them when I see them and the most obvious conclusion is that this condition varies a lot from person to person. In my case I have never had a single symptom that I was aware of. The next person gets exhausted just getting dressed in the morning. There are many factors to consider and it seems few of the treatments are even close to 100% effective. Far too complex to trust to anyone but heart doctors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.