1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Atlas Shrugged

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by radeck, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radeck

radeck Member

The more I thing about this upcoming election the more I am reminded of Ayn Rand's fantastic (IMO) novel, Atlas Shrugged. As Wikipedia describes it:

"The theme of Atlas Shrugged is the role of the mind in man's life and, consequently, presentation of a new morality- the morality of rational self-interest.

The main conflicts of the book surround the decision of the "men of the mind" to go on strike, refusing to contribute their inventions, art, business leadership, scientific research, or new ideas of any kind to the rest of the world. Society, they believe, hampers them by interfering with their work and underpays them by confiscating the profits and dignity they have rightfully earned. The peaceful cohesiveness of the world disintegrates, lacking those individuals whose productive work comes from mental effort. The strikers believe that they are crucial to a society that exploits them, denying them freedom or failing to acknowledge their right to self-interest, and the gradual collapse of civilization is triggered by their strike."

Essentially the productive members of society decide not to try anymore, and withhold their labors. This of course is the plainly forseeable outcome on the other side of the tipping point of redistribute the pie policies. Soon the folks baking the pies decide to stop the mixing, turn off the oven, and walk away from it all. And a great Nation becomes small...

(Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. My best to you and yours.)

And yes, I did my part and mailed in my absentee ballot today...

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

A good 1,000 page read...but those "economic refugees" had a better place to "escape" to, whereas we do not. Not particularly uplifting, given what's happening now...when you look at how the under-25 Obama Jugend are lining up behind the Chosen One, you have to conclude we've got about 50 years left as we know it, before becoming just an extension of Western Europe, if we aren't already.

What do we have to look forward to? Let's see...0.5% economic growth (in a good year?), double-digit unemployment on a permanent structural basis, low birth rate = rapidly-aging population, jobs impossible for young people to find, the only significant new job creation occurs is in Government Jobs, people living with their parents until age 30, takes a Master's Degree to get a job at Starbucks, overrun by immigrants that won't assimilate, attendant social strife, and seemingly unable to do anything to reverse the situation.

There used to be a pretty good American tradition of pampered middle-class American kids going on trips to Europe during the summer...whatever happened to this? I mean, I assume they still do it, but aren't they _learning_ anything from it? These are the people who are voting for Obama, and they seem to have liked the "nice train systems" they have over there, free healtcare, mandatory vacations, etc...but didn't they notice the lack of opportunity for young people, how all young people live with their parents until at least age 25 in Europe, have to have a whole stack of degrees and educational credentials before they crack that first good job, Government is downright hostile to anyone trying to make a business and employ people - all because of the structural rigidity of the European economy?

Can't believe these young idiots actually want that. The perceived "hardships" of living under George Bush (which is really nothing for young people, he hasn't done anything to prevent them from hanging out at the mall texting each other)...it's nothing compared to what it will be, once unemployment is permanently over 10% due to low economic growth, and these kids can't find a job short of starting their own candle-dipping business and getting taxed out of existence.

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

IMHO Atlas Shrugged ought to be required reading in high school.

4. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

Who is John Galt ?

The Virtue of Selfishness is a good read, also.

Then there is The Fountainhead...

Bill

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Amazingly enough, both "Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" WERE required reading when my four daughters went to high school. It happened to be a private school. I felt it was worth it to pay for the education they got there even though I was forced to pay school taxes to support a public (and much less effective) public school system. All four received very good levels of financial aid scholarships when they went to college. Three are still there and one graduated and immediately was hired where she had interned previously.

Where I work I am exposed to a lot of students not very long out of high school. I can see the difference in many instances between motivated and un-motivated students. There seems to be a bit of, but not total, correlation between where a student attended high school but their personality seems to be a bigger factor. The public school students with motivation often talk of going above and beyond what many of the teachers were expecting of their students. Many of the private school students did work at the what was expected level but that level of work was somewhat similar to what the motivated public school students performed for themselves. The number of "good" (read that as motivated and demanding) teachers does not seem to be that different from public to private but the student reaction to the demanding teacher in public school seems to be less responsive.

Many of the motivated students do not seem to support the Democrat party concepts but there are nevertheless a goodly number that do. My guess is that they still have to be exposed to actual working conditions outside of the sheltered environment of college to get the full benefit of their education.

6. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

A lot of folks on this site need to read Atlas Shrugged so they won't whine so much about "greed" whenever prices go up on anything. It's never supply and demand, it's alway somebody's greed.

7. schimmy

schimmy Member

Atlas Shrugged is an excellent book! I also agree that it should be required reading in schools. However, I don't think today's kids could sit through a book that long which requires thought. The government schools could not require it because it goes against everything they preach. If you have read it you have to agree that where we're at right now in relation to how the book goes is probably the scariest thing you'll see this Halloween season. Their will be a lot of people in the not to distant future asking who John Galt is and unfortunately they'll never know and we'll have no such place to go.

8. doc boc

doc boc Member

if obama is elected maybe we should all go on strike. doc

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

"Atlas Shrugged" is never going to be part of a government school's curriculum, unless Oliver Stonehead, or Mikey Moore make it into a movie.

First, the book is too long, 1000 pages! Hell that would take 4 years for a government high school to get through that. 2nd it is not politically correct with the names. No Lakishas, Tyrones, Jamals, Juans, Pablos, etc... mentioned in the book.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

...but there is a Francisco, Bisi...

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Heather has 2 Mommies" gets better play.

The gene pool needs a little clorine.

That said, I am happy to see that there are still some thinking people in the world.

HM

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The first 2 posts are excellent posts. Thank you for the good read.

In talking with a few young people today, I think that many of them are not seeing it as a dem -vs- pub thing. They see it more as a young -vs-old selection. They see anyone that is 50 or older as being at fault for today's world, and they think someone that is younger will have fresh ideas that can change it. THEY THINK OLDER PEOPLE DON'T GET IT...

It's all in the way Obama markets himself. He's got younger children, he dresses in fuzzy overshirts (like young people do) at his outdoor speeches, he has colored his gray (c'mon...you KNOW he has it) and has no discernable wrinkles, etc. etc.

Most people in their twenties are not adults yet (these days). Like stated in posts above, they don't have the political, investment, and job experience needed to make an informed choice.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

True. This person uses every trick in the book.

He made a speech and plagiarized a whole paragraph from a movie (not Denzel Washington, but similar), using it word for word.

About that time my gag reflex kicked in, and there was no possibility of any credence from that quarter.

Admirable skill, but contributory to freedom's doom.

HM

14. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'm reviving this thread. This excellent article about 'Atlas Shrugged' happening now was in a recent edition of the Wall Street Journal.

LA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.