1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Atlanta Police

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

On my way home at midnight last night on I-75 north of the downtown ATL with my Daughter who I picked up at the airport. Only 110 more miles to home. Atlanta Cop standing outside his car supposedly holding a radar gun, at night, and pulls me over for a 70 in a 55 speeding ticket. It felt odd getting a ticket for that speed while cars were passing us doing 75 or 80. Moral of the story, speed in Atl only during the day when you just flow with the traffic. I hope the Cop slept well last night!

blade819

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

You won the lottery. Someone told an ole poem, (nine your fine above 10 you're mine) In a 55 , I drive no faster than 64, in a 70, no faster than 79. Been lucky, I guess.

Phil Berkowitz

3. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Better yet, drive the speed limit and quit playing these games. Even after an hour on the road, you're not gaining alot; and, is it that important to be where you're going in such a hurry unless you're late which points right back to you for poor planning?

Speed kills, and I don't want to get caught up in a another drivers poor common sense.....cya

4. Habib

Habib Member

Keep it up Phil, you'll get yours too. It will be poetic justice.

5. blade819

Obviously you guys have never driven in Atlanta on the Interstate or by-pass. Often you need to speed to not get run over by other traffic. I never in all my years have seen Cops pull over cars for speeding during the day. Physically I think that's an impossibility. Now I realize they make their "quota" during the late night hours. I keep telling my wife that I can't drive her Hybrid Fusion. This is the second speeding ticket in 9 mos. on "Batteries"!

blade819

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Used to have quotas,,,,now just get toaster ovens....

7. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I am a retired LEO, I have heard every possible reason someone was speeding. In Blades case, I can only say the officer cannot stop every single car going over the speed limit, he just happened to be THE ONE. And if there was alot of traffic, I doubt it was a radar gun, more likely it was a Laser where the officer can pick out individual vehicles. Yes, it sucks being the one singled out, but as Phil stated, keep it to 9 mph and you USUALLY draw no attention.
    Also, everyone should be aware that extra officers are on on holidays and the days leading up to the holiday just for traffic enforcement. I am sure the officer slept just fine as he was just doing the job he was paid to do.

If you dont speed, you have no worries about getting stopped and issued a ticket for speeding. EVERYONE speeds, and I mean EVERYONE! So if you are unlucky enough to be the one stopped, take your medicine like all the others that are stopped. Your attitude does go along way.

Oscar

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If you drive the speed limit on i-95 or I 75-, you stand a very real chance of getting rear ended, My interactive speed control, plus all the safety features on my personal car, prove that speed doesn't kill. In Germany you can drive all day @ 145 in perfect safety. I've driven there. They don't hand out drivers licenses. The biggest offense there, is staying in the passing lane & not passing.

Phil Berkowitz

9. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Sorry, Phil, with inexperienced and young drivers, speed does kill. BTW, we,re not in the old standby argument of the German autobahn (sp). Also, 145 k/h doesn't equate here. And no matter the safely features of your car, a wreck at the speeds you're talking about will kill you. I've been at way too many crash scenes to know the brutal truth. In multi-car crashes, safety features are just fine until they meet up with size and weight. None of your safety features are going to protect you from an out of control eighteen wheeler...

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Do you have Georgia plates? In any case, in Georgia and some other backward southeastern states your chances of being stopped are 100X greater with out-of-state plates. 20/20 did a segment on it several years ago. They had a camera trained on the speedometer and one in a car behind them showing that the car didn't "weave." Yet over and over, day after day, the Good Ol' Boy cops lied and issued bogus tickets for speeding and left-of-center. They pull you over hoping you're running drugs. If you don't give them an excuse to search for drugs, they collect a nice little consolation prize on a bogus ticket. It's a multi-million dollar scam (crime) that's been going on for years.

-Gary

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"None of your safety features are going to protect you from an out of control eighteen wheeler..."

No Shit??? They were talking about driving 10 mph over the speed limit not an out of control 18 wheeler. I can only guess where you stand on 18 wheelers.

What most fail to see is us 18 wheelers spend the whole day avoiding idiot manuevers from idiot car drivers. Its not uncommon to avoid potential fatal accidents several times a day from people pulling out in front of my 80,000lb vehicle traveling at highway speeds. You know how long it takes to stop that thing? Then when there is an accident, everybody eyeballs the truck when stats show the cars are to blame the overwhelming amount of time. Speaking from someone who drives for a living.

12. blade819

I actually have Georgia Disabled Vet. Plates on the car and still got a ticket. That's what got me off on the last ticket, didn't even get a written warning.

blade819

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

He was talking about multi-car crash scenes where a 18 wheeler crashes into the already wrecked cars and how the saftey devices were of little use. No shit, he really was.

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

About 10 years ago the guys and I were out on the Harleys for a run and on this one road that was posted 35mph we were all doing 51mph. I was in the lead when a cop got me, the guy in front buys the ticket. Pay the ticket, it's only money and if your state has a point system and your respectful to the cop he can write the ticket in a manner to avoid points.

15. grntitan

"He was talking about multi-car crash scenes where a 18 wheeler crashes into the already wrecked cars and how the saftey devices were of little use."

Ohhhh LOL.

I get a little edgy when the 18 wheeler blame game starts. I may have misread and over reacted. Sh!t happens. :)

Everyone enjoy the Thanksgiving Day.

Blade,

You got caught buddy. Sucks but the way i see it is its part of the game.

Matt

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

On a Michigan v. Ohio State weekend game in Columbus, Ohio, 5 under in a 55 can get you a ticket.....Michigan plates...

17. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

Yup, suck it up, it's your mistake. He'll get those other guys next time.
    Bob

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I got a ticket for going too slow on the interstate. I had a 165,000 lb load and came up on a long up hill grade. Needless to say I couldn't maintain 45 mph and sure enough there was a DOT officer at the top. After the ticket was wrote he laughed and said he wished all his tickets were for going too slow.

19. grntitan

likes-to-shoot,

Good `ol DOT. A drivers best friend. Always looking out for something to nitpick. I don't think there are any rigs on the road that would have dragged that load up a steep grade at speed. 165,000lb, Thats a dandy load. I hauled a 95,000 gross load once. The whole thing had my nerves shot. Notice i said once. Until you have started in 13th gear and ended in 3rd or lower up a steep grade and then smoked the brakes with jake on down the otherside, you haven't had your butt puckered tight yet.

20. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

likes to shoot,

Your ticket is proof there is no common sense anymore, none. I am surprised he did not stop you on the worse part of the grade.

As far as speeding tickets, it's a gamble and a crap shoot at best. It is a cat and mouse game and always will be.

Here in Fl, you have to watch all the small towns, you see a posted 65MPH and 50 feet from it will be another that drops to 45MPH comming into Barney Fiffe land. I travel Florida a lot and know where 95% of them are.

But the best in California, cars can go 70mph, trucks or anyone towing any kind of trailer 55mph. I drove all over out there for 6 years, never got a ticket, but, I have learned over time to leave in time to meet an appointment and they are using the 5 to 6 over rule there, not 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.